1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

#11 is Done

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Got her finished last night! Did a quick dry run test. All seemed to work well.
    Only problems encountered, missing four 1/4-20 nuts. I picked up some at lowes. My acme rod and antibacklash nut didn't align well but still worked fine, I suspect the plastic nut will prematurely wear out. I also was short the screw and nut that hold the terminal block for the fan in. I also ended up with four spare nuts same as the ones that mount the guide bearings on. My build DVD and start here disks were blank but Mark and Trish got them out ASAP, which was awesome!

The only real question I have is setting the potentiometers for the steppers. At the 4 o'clock position that Mark refers to in the video, none of my steppers work. I moved them to 3 o'clock and then they worked. I need to watch the vid again and see what I missed.
    The machine is way cool!

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Re the stepper voltages. It is best to set with a volt meter, and not use the "about" method.

This really isn't covered in the DVD that I saw....If using the easy-cnc driver board, and the steppers from Mark and Trish, then set the voltage for TP 1 to 2.6 volts. You could go to 2.8 as that is two times the coil current of 1.4amps. I'm running mine at 2.6 with no problems.

3. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

I also didn't trust the "about" method so I used a voltmeter. Even then I thought I could crank them up to 3.6 (I was very wrong!), but the steppers got HOT on the x and y axis. Once I lower my voltages I would suggest a dry run and check the stepper motor temps just to be sure, at least I'm gonna do that. Don't wanna burn anything up.

- Jeff

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

It only takes a few seconds to fry a stepper motor. I blew out 3 of em when I built my first MK1.

This cannot be emphasized enough!

You should always start your checkout on the bench with the PFD pots turned all the way down before installing your stepper motors in your machine. Even when you are not cutting anything, the stepper motor must apply voltage to hold the shaft in position. This idle period is when the steppers build up the most heat.

Gradually bring up the voltage on the test point while monitoring the temperature of the stepper motor. If you do not have a voltmeter, get one! Radio Shack sells them for just a few bucks. A digital voltmeter is best because we are setting voltages in the tenths of a volt here!

If any of the steppers get too hot to touch, shut off the power immediately and then back off the PFD potentiometer and then let it cool off before you start again.