1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3-D P-38

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Jnida63, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Anyone have any 2 inch foam laying around to try and cut a fuse half to see if I done this right?
    I am starting a 3-D P-38 model and have half a fuse section layed out so far. Attached files [​IMG]

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Nice Jeff! I had it in my mind that I should mill the outside of the fuse and hollow out the inside, either by hand or mill it also, if I'm lucky. Not specific to this model, just any fuse in general.

I am not stating a fact, rather a question. I have some more learning to do. This new Phlat3D script makes the Phlatprinter a whole new toy again. :D

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Jeff that looks great! One tip, I would let the part holding bridges go all the way into the model other then that it looks perfect! I think I have some 2" foam to try it out to as soon as I get the chance I will post pics.
    Great job brother!
    Mark and Trish

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok I was just looking at the file and have a couple suggestions. First its too deep to cut in a single pass with the stock bits cutting flute lenght you will need to either split the model in 1" sections and then assemble them after the cut or do a multi pass with step downs for the cuts. I have not tried this latest version of the Phlat3D in combination with the multi pass so not sure if that will work, but talking with Jovian it should.
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

5. jovian

jovian Member

I would agree with both of Krams suggestions make the tabs intrude both the carrier and part a little bit. It won't hurt generation/or final at all and it will prevent a ray from slipping through and cutting a tab off for you. Additionally I would use multipass you can set the cut dept to something like .5" or even 1" then it gets done in 2-4 passes.

6. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Duh. I got flubbed up with the stepover thinking it was multipass. I will.correctand repost when I get home.

7. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Ok, here is an updated file, multipass at half an inch and both halves of the fuse are there, it took forever to output the cnc file, over 40,000 lines of code

8. jovian

jovian Member

jNida what version of the phlat3D did you use? Yous should try version 1.1 from here viewtopic.php?f=185&t=2438 if you haven't used it. That should get rid of some of those gouges you are seeing (the diagonal lines). If you did use that version let me know and send me the sketchup if you could so I can fix the code.

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

here is the drawing

10. jovian

jovian Member

Jnida Looking at the sketchup file I have a few more suggestions.

1. Unless you plan on flipping the part over the carrier does not need to be nearly as big .25" max. you are just wasting time/material by having the carrier so thick. In fact if you are careful enough you don't even need to place a carrier around. Just make sure all the ends of the tabs line up exactly.

2. Don't forget your tabs or have a constant background like ewo's work

3. if you are cutting in 2" foam your multipass does not need to be at 3/32. In fact my 8 GB pc ran out of memory :O I would say a setting of a half inch is better and worked for me

4. Be sure to grab the update to the phlat3d script I mentioned above. It fixed the gouges we saw on the earlier models.

11. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

A video tutorial of how to do produce the a skp file like this (with tabs) would sure be nice... hint hint

I assume you used cuveiloft plugin, but not sure how you got the relief made.

This 3D stuff needs a lot more explaining for some of us to get a grip on it, speakin for myself of course...

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Okay, well I'm not too proud to admit I'm totally lost.
    Any old chicken bone for this dog would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

13. jovian

jovian Member

Flash- I have posted a video tutorial here viewtopic.php?f=185&t=2438 it takes you through everything from creating a part (In the videos case its a hollowed box) to generating the gCode. I hate talking on these things so its annontated.

Dorsal - I never feed my pups any chicken bones as the splinter and choke. So I won't give you any either cause your nice to have around :) . I will offer you some help though. Not entirely sure where you are lost though. Progression can be broken down as

1. Generate part with relief
    2. Generate a carrier surrounding part with height of material thickness
    3. Generate tabs by drawing them out. DO NOT use the tab tool from the phlatscript
    4. Move ensamble to safe area if not already
    5. generate gCode

Is there a particular gemoetry you are having a hard time with?

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Ahhh! Thank You! I sort of remember that one now, but did not view the video at the time. I have it bookmarked now.

15. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Ok, i am trying this again file and .cnc are posted

Attached files p38-3d.cnc (11 MB)Â p38-3d.skp (1.3 MB)Â

16. jovian

jovian Member

That looks good Jeff. Be sure to take pictures to show us how it turns out :) I know I have found a several things on my current project that have taught me intricacies of the script.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Jovian, I think I've got it now, with the assistance of all your help and that of the others here. Thank you.
    I do have a specific project in mind, but sometimes I get nearly as many medical distractions here as I did in the hospital. Then the guy who wanted some of our strawberry plants and the guy who's going to put the roofing shingles on my workshop called within 1/2 hour of each other.
    Woohoo! If the rains let up like they should, he thinks he'll get the 2 squares covered in a day. Cash deal! :cool:

edit - 45mph gusts have severely dampened the interest in installing asphalt shingles today. I don't want anyone getting hurt, so the roofing project is on hold for at least another day or two. There IS a reason my town is surrounded by the 2nd largest windmill farm in California.

18. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I think i am going to set this one aside till my skills improve, gonna find an easier plane to model right now.