1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3-piece puzzle

Discussion in 'Puzzles' started by Anonymous, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool puzzle Dennis, looks like it would be easy enough to make to
    Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I love (hate) these type puzzles :D

4. kram242

:lol: me 2!

5. kram242

Got it! :lol:

Worked up this simple puzzle for 1/4" wood or foam
    I did not have the wood to try it so here it is in foam :D
    Enjoy
    Mark and Trish Attached files 3D_Puzzle.cnc (306.6 KB)Â 3D_Puzzle.skp (539.7 KB)Â [​IMG]

6. kram242

Ok guys well I tried to cut MDF for the first time today using this file.
    The results with the 1/16" bit from the bit kit were awesome clean cuts!
    The little flex shaft could not really handle this MDF and I think I will wait until I complete the router attachment to try this again. It did it but I could tell it was rough on it.
    I noticed that the cuts were a little off and that I had missed some steps. But as I compared the foam version to the MDF version I noticed that the shapes were off in the same areas. So I am thinking that my calibration is off and that makes sense as I just adjusted my drive rollers a little higher. I also noticed that I did not leave any room for the wood parts to fit together so I will have to redo this file and leave an offset so that they will slide together. I used a razor knife to open the slots up enough to allow the parts to fit. Here are some close up pics for you to check out.
    I will post the new file as soon as I can.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

You know, I see some interesting things in your pics.

First off, I wanna say that I didn't feel at all like (at the prescribed feed rate of 16IPM) cutting MDF with the 1/16" bit was hard on the flex shaft. On MY machine, the RPMs didn't really drop off while cutting. Of course, I will probably see the same things you're seeing after I get some mileage on my machine spindle and bit (both of mine are new).

I was really struck with awe when I saw how clean the MDF cuts on the Phlatty 3. I was like OMIGOSH - this is really going to expand our possibilities for the things we can make! With that burr bit, people can process the heck outta MDF to make their own mods to the PhlatPrinter 3's. This forum is going to totally EXPLODE with new projects when more PP3's are in the market! LOL

Now, looking at your pictures of your machined parts, I am seeing some of the same anomalies - the less than optimal curves, that funny-looking extra-wide part at the top of the "3". It is interesting to see that you have reproduced some of the same things that I kept seeing. Hmmm....

I have re-created a version of the code for a 1/8" bit so that I can try processing this same file on my big FLA machine (I don't have any 1/16" bits for that 1/4 or 1/2" collets on that big router). I hope to try it out later today and see what kind of results I get. I am kinda wondering if the "faceted segments" that we get in SketchUp (rather than a true smooth arc) may be playing a role in promoting less-than-ideal curves.

Overall, I am really impressed with the PP3's cutting ability on MDF with those burr bits! My head is spinning with the possibilities!!

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Mark, the attachment for the router, will it use the router that comes with the kit? Will the attachment be available with the kit?

9. kram242

Mike I went back in the code and found errors in the design, mainly the lettering some of the letters were higher then the others when I put a straight line across them.
    With the new file you can see that all the letters are straight all the way across with the exception of the top of the 3 I have to go back and see if the offset I made for the lettering pocket is larger then the rest this would explain it or maybe that the code is just messed up there because its the starting point. The rounded tops I think are related to my calibration, I am going to re calibrate with the MDF in the machine on a piece of foam a see if there is a difference there. I have new pics and files where I changed out to end caps of the parts to straight lines and although the look good I can see it need to be calibrated. I did a start hole at zero before I did the cut and after it was done it went right back to it! It was amazing to watch that. So that is cool its not missing any steps.
    If you try the new one you may want to calibrate the x and y again just t be sure.
    I also did a test cut of a micro version of the kinetic sculpture :) It turned out awesome!
    But I can see the center holes are not round so calibration is in order for sure. One really cool thing is I only used 4 tabs on the outside of the part :) The rest of the inside parts I just let the foam hold!
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kram242

11. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Nice stuff there :shock: ... Darn nice work....

12. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

SWEET! What bit was that again? Can't believe how clean that came out. No fancy roller tricks to get the mdf to track? Did I say sweet? I mean SCHWEAT!

13. kram242

Thanks Al and Toxic! :)
    TT it was Mike(Crash) that told me how nice this bit was cutting the MDF (The 1/16th" bit from the Phlatboyz Bit Kit) So I thought I would give it a try and WOW it really does a nice job!
    You can get the BitKit here
    http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlatboyz-Bit-Kit_p_40.html