1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

#37 Is Complete Working 100% Right

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dugd1013, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I got started this evening with the USB software install and stepper test. Everything worked as advertised after I got my lap top user settings changed to allow for the install. Sometimes I think Windows Vista is a bigger pain than it needs to be. This killed off most of the evening just making sure I installed the software and bench tested everything as described. The chat section helped with importing the software license from the DAT file. The DVD mentioned typing in the registration code. I never was able to read the code from either of my email files. I think it was Crash5050 who pointed me to the import function, Thanks!

First few steps of the Z gantry reviewed, tomorrow evening I'll start with the sticky stuff!

2. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Evening 3 of the build went well. I managed to get as far as installing the cabinet back. Not sure how far I will get this evening as the college football games may take up a little more of my attention!

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Keep up the good work dug1013 your almost there :D
    Mark and Trish

4. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Finished up the construction this evening and ran a couple of files. Seems there is some work to be done yet to get it fine tuned. Need to do some fine calibration tests and figure out the USB Controller Software. No numbers show up in the X,Y,Z blocks? I can't get it to recognize the zero start point on the screen. Maybe I need to read the instructions!

The key pad takes a minute to initialize or so it seems, as I was able to get the Z gantry keys reversed until I disconnected and restarted things. Gremlins!

Otherwise I'm pretty happy at he moment! :D

Happy New Year!

5. kram242

Hello Dugd1013,
    :D Congratulations on completing the build! :D

That does not sound right and may be a direct x issue with your graphics card.
    Look under the File>Settings>Misc. menus and look for the Hardware Direct X check box and see if either enabling/ disabling it helps. Make sure you restart the program for the settings to take effect.
    As for the keypad taking a while to kick in that also does not sound right. You should be able to click in the toolpath area of the screen (the big black area where you rotate the tool path) and once you do this you should have jog control available at the keyboard. I have noticed that if I click outside this area sometimes I can't jog. But regardless you jog control should be instant.
    What type of system are you running the CNC USB software on?
    Mark and Trish

6. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Still have the issue of no numbers not showing in the X,Y,Z blocks. I have tried the direct X check box both ways with no effect. Programs seem to run as they should so, I'm at a loss?

I pulled a sreen shot but I can't seem to find a way to attach it to this message at the moment.

The key pad doesn't seem to be a continuing issue. I think that was more of a sequencing problem or maybe I induced a glich by pushing buttons before the drivers originally loaded. I have a tendency to be in a hurry!

My system is an ASUS G50V Laptop with Duo P8700 CPU and my video card is a NVIDIA Getforce 9800M GS 912 MB. I running Windows Vista Premium OS

Attached files Doc1.docx (1.3 MB)Â

7. kram242

Have you tried running the standard version instead of the beta it may have something to do with that? Although that is what I am running right now and do not have that problem. The system you are running is more then enough for sure. So I am not sure what id happening here.
    One thing you could do is email the soft wares creator (kroko here on the Phlatforum) and see what he thinks the problem may be. I am sure he has run into problems like this before.
    If you find something out please post your solutions so we can help others that may have the same issue in the future.
    Thanks dugd1013 :)
    Mark and Trish

8. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software without any change. I went to the Planet -CNC website and updated my direct X9 and service pack as suggested, still no change. I did notice that the software is showing the data in the State window but, it's not showing in the position window.

I emailed issue to info@planet-cnc.com hopefully he can provide a solution.

9. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Dumb question especially since I don't have the Planet-CNC card, but is your screen resolution great enough to display all of the info on the whole screen?

Tim

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Probably need to update your graphic card drivers.

11. Kroko

Kroko Member

I think problem is with your graphic card drivers. Can you run DXDiag and send me "system information" file? If your graphic card is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" then I'm sure this is the case.

Also disable "skin" in case this has something to do with your problem.

12. Kroko

Kroko Member

I just got an idea. Perhaps this has something to do with missing system fonts. I managed to reproduce the problem by removing fonts from my system.

I created "font pack" with mandatory system fonts that software uses. You can download it here
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/files/fonts.zip

Please install fonts in this file and check if this fixes your problem.

13. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Kroko,

I went to the NVIDIA site and updated my driver. (NVIDIA 9800M GS 912MB) I downloaded the Planet -CNC font pack and loaded them on my system. The fonts already existed, I went ahead and overwrote them anyway.

I opened CNC USB Controller and found that the same issue still exists. I went into the settings menu, misc tab and took off the skin choice. Still no change to the problem at hand.

I ran the DXDiag and created a file DXDiag Doug Durham and emailed it to info@planet-cnc.com.

Thanks for your assistance with working through this issue.

Doug Attached files DxDiag Doug Durham.txt (29.5 KB)Â

14. Kroko

Kroko Member

Graphic drivers seems OK.
    There was a user with same type of error. He reinstalled windows to solve this issue.
    I don't have any better idea for now.

You can try to disable antivirus software.

15. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I just ran across another random issue while running calibration checks on the X, Y, Z axis. After doing a few calibration checks on the Z axis it began to function in the opposite direction. I went into the Axes 1 tab and activated the reverse block. I don't recall that being checked before. The software is showing the correct tool motion and the key pad is using page up and down in the correct orientation. I'm a bit concerned and curious what just took place. :?: Could there be an issue with my Windows Vista that is causing both issues?

16. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

No, this is a bug in the Planet-CNC software. After doing a calibration, it clears the reverse checkbox for whichever axis was being calibrated.

The Z should be reversed. After calibration you will have to reset it.

I guess we need to let Andrej know.... I just keep forgetting.

17. kram242

Doug just wondering, did you try the system fonts like Andrej suggested a few post up yet?

18. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Yep, I had already reinstalled the system fonts. The fonts that Andrej listed were already in my font list however, I reinstalled them just in case. That effort had no effect.

I guess I'm down to reloading Windows. Thats next on my list of fix options.

By the way, how close is everyone getting on their calibration checks? I got my Y axis down to +/- .002, the X and Z were not coming in any closer than.010-.015. The X & Z calibration verification check never seemed to repeat itself. Is that a direct result of backlash variance on the Z and the tight/loose belt segment in the X?

19. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Looking at loading Windows 7 on the suspect machine in the morning. Good idea or not? Chime in qiuick, this laptop gets an upgrade by noon tomorrow!

20. kram242

If your going from vista I say absolutely! You will love it in comparison to vista. We upgraded our machines here and so many problems went away. From there you will have a good foundation to start at.
    Mark and Trish

21. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I had Windows 7 loaded on my laptop this afternoon. Running windows 7 makes no difference at all. I still get no values in the "position window", looks like this program doesn't like my graphics card. I guess I'll be working out of the "state" window if I want to know where my XYZ axis are.

On a positive note I got my Y & Z axis calibrated to .000, the X is still out .014.

Time to try the Chuck Glider file and see how it cuts.

22. kram242

Cool Doug looking forward to your results! :D
    Mark and Trish

23. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Found a slightly loose belt on the X after running the F-16 Glider file. It was very easy to find at real speed. Tightened the belt and all issue is gone! Thank God I tapped the stepper housing, that would have been a bear to tighten down otherwise! No skewing to report either!

I am marking this build down as complete and my machine is working 100% as advertised! Great product, great support, great group of guys on the forum working together to solve problems rather than flame someone for not knowing as much as them. Thanks everyone who assisted me when I had questions! :)

24. Kroko

Kroko Member

Not displaying coordinates problem is solved. If system font size is not 100% then some elements are not drawn correctly. Solution is to change system font size to 100% or wait for next release.

Attached files [​IMG]

25. kram242

Awesome Doug! Thank you for posting and letting us know. Now the fun can begin :D Looking forward to seeing your creations. Have fun brother :)
    Mark and Trish