1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3d scanning

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Orion13, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Orion13

Orion13 Member

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and I hope my topic will be well received. I have several models that have one of a kind cowls and now the manufactures of these kits no longer make them. While I haven't had to rework one yet I just know the day is coming. This led me to look for a way to draw up the cowls in sketchup to create a mold to make replacements. Try as I may I can't reproduce two of them due to the complex contours on them. (think nemesis cowl) So looking for a short cut or better way I ran across this site using line lasers and cameras to capture 3d objects. Here is the site http://www.david-laserscanner.com/ While this guy has done a great job so far it lacks automation to make the scans consistent. All it would take, in my opinion, is some of you smart people to come up with a motor guide to move the laser up and down the model in a steady motion and another motor to rotate the object to be copied. I could think of tons of applications for not just modeling hobby but construction too. Imagine that trim piece you have in your 1950's or earlier home that is no longer made copied and milled out with a cnc machine. Does this sound like a workable thing or has someone else already done it better?

Orion13

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Man, Shaun, that is a great find. Already downloaded the software and uploaded some pics. Waiting to see the results while typing this. :doubleup:

4. Orion13

Orion13 Member

I've downloaded the software. I haven't had time to test anything with it. Please keep me posted on your results with it Tiger. I have family things that have to be done today.

Orion13

5. TigerPilot

You need lots of time, Orion13. I took the pictures and uploaded them, as I wrote in the post above. After it calculated the mesh it showed it to me and asked me to choose a 'rendering', I forgot what the terminology is that they use. I chose it and now, almost two hours later, I'm in the queue. As I wrote these lines it came out of the queue and said that there was an error. Stay tuned. :girl_cray2:

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Jovian turned me on to it. He posted it one night in the chat area. I haven't tried it yet though.

7. TigerPilot

I had the results. It may be that the contrast was not good. I did it with a plane that I made from the dollar tree foam and it was not painted, just white. I was not that impressed with it. It was by far not as sharp as the pictures that the process used and the pictures where all high quality, each over 2.2meg.

8. Orion13

Orion13 Member

This just seemed like the next logical area to expand into. We have machines that can cut 3d parts so why not have an easy way to copy parts that are time consuming to draw up in sketchup.

Gregg

9. Orion13

Orion13 Member

Found a nice high dollar setup for this called Nextengine 3d scanning. It is the one Jay Leno uses in his garage to reproduce parts on old cars. Yes it cost 3 grand. Looks to me like we could come up with something.

Orion13