1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3DMON'S Phlatbot

Discussion in 'PhlatBOT Build Logs' started by 3DMON, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Well I finally got my Phlatbot built and made a calibration test print last night.
    This thing is AWESOME! :banger:
    My first cube got screwed up because my laptop went into sleep mode...oops :oops: .
    It was nice because I was able to do a few tweaks to get better results on my 2nd print.
    My first successful cube was off about .005" on the sides and about .015" on the height. I'm very happy with that being my first print.
    The QU-BD Extruder worked great. I did round and polish the set screw as recommended and I had to tweak the tightness just right to get it to operate smoothly but I'm happy with it so far.
    I am using black PLA for now as it's all I bought. I wanted to get things working before I try other colors and abs.
    I can't wait to get this thing fully figured out and start making stuff.
    Here are some pics. Notice my quick and dirty spool holder. :cool: It works great. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:doubleup: Nice job Shaun! :doubleup:
    I was going to try this out and see how it does for the set screw. It has a spring loaded ball tip on the end so it should help some.
    How fast are you printing at?
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/91677a106/=jske8j

Thanks for the awesome update Shaun, you ROCK!!! :banger:
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG]

3. 3DMON

Yeah I was thinking about getting one of those setscrews too but right now I'm happy with the way mine is so time will tell.
    I am running at 30mm/sec. Hopefully this is a good number as I'm not sure.
    I did notice the bottom of my cube didn't do too great on its first layer. The spacing was off compared to how it did on the top layer and two of the edges were peeling up. One thing is there are so many variables in 3d printing to tweak.
    Another thing I noticed was I could kinda peel the bottom layers apart with my finger nail like it wasn't bonding well to itself.

4. kram242

You are right about that ! It takes time to get it tweak like you like it and learning all the different settings but once you do its AWESOME! :D
    Great work Shaun
    Mark and Trish

5. 3DMON

Man this stuff is too cool. I love making plastic parts. :D

Here are some things Ive made recently.

Tail block for a Tri copter I'm designing.

Ashtray lid for a friends car. His broke and he is a Steelers fan. He loved it.

The best for last is a Brushless motor Spindle for the Phlatprinter.
    I just mounted it to the Phlatprinter but have not been able to test it yet. I will post more when I do.
    Files for it will be added for it after all testing is done.
    Oh and it is a drop in replacement for the flex shaft router that comes with the Phlatprinter. :dance3:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kram242

You are doing awesome Shaun! :doubleup:
    Way to go man. I love that brushless spindle ( I love them all) thats my fav :D
    Do you have enough power for it to cut?
    Keep up the good work
    Mark and Trish

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Shaun, what kind of a voltage are you going to feed the brushless? I made a brushless conversion too and the two problems that I have are:
    1) Noisier than the flex shaft, even after changing the bearings in the motor to better quality ones.
    2) The motor gets very hot. I guess it's because of the 24V I was feeding it even thought the motor is rated for 28V or so.

BTW, Mark. I don't know what kind of power Shaun's motor has but I know that my motor cuts wood with no effort (using the multipass).

8. 3DMON

This motor is 1400kv so 12v is perfect for it. I'm using a 12v 30amp power supply for it. I can get a 1700kv as well if I need a little more speed. Right now it is as noisy as the flex shaft but there is no run out. I haven't cut with it yet but it is plenty powerful. One problem I have is the adapter I bought. They didn't drill the hole perfectly center so I need to buy another. It works but it would be quieter if it was straight. Just running it the amount I did, the motor was fine but the esc was warm. I need to still stick a watt meter on it lol.

9. kram242

Thanks Yoram good to know its worth trying to get it working
    Shaun, I did see someone had made one of these and he attached a fan (just the blades) to the top of the motor so that as it spins it will suck air in and over the motor. I thought that was a great use of cooling instead of wiring a fan to the motor.
    Looks great Shaun thanks for sharing.
    Mark and Trish

10. 3DMON

Yeah I saw that too. I will see if it needs it or not by tonight or tomorrow.

11. 3DMON

12. kram242

Its seems to be all about the retracts :)
    If anyone is having problems with the qu-bd extruder please check this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=315&t=7955#p40467
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish