1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

3DMON'S Phlatprinter 3

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by 3DMON, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

My first box arrived today. :D

[​IMG]
    All I can say is WOW! Just from opening the first box you can see how much care Mark and Trish put into this. When I started pulling things out, I was like how did they cram this much stuff into such a small box LOL. All the parts are in there own bag that is labeled for what step they go for when building. Just seeing this makes me know this build is going to go smoothly.

[​IMG]
    The time Mark and Trish have invested in this really shows. The rest of the parts should be here Thursday, and I can't wait. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Love it Shaun! It looks like everything arrived as planned. Thanks for taking these pics. It's great to see the kit again, we miss it already but we know it's in good hands, lol.
    Thank you for your nice comments as well. We really appreciate it. It means a lot!
    Mark and Trish

3. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Man I talked to Trish on the phone before ordering ours and she said everything minus the vac and computer was included to build and run the phlatprinter . I figured this ment the parts. But I see in your pictures they even included the glue and scotch tape lol.

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep when Mark and Trish say everything, except,.... they mean EVERYTHING ;-)

5. 3DMON

Woo hoo!
    I got the rest of the boxes in today.

[​IMG]
    I still need to get some room cleaned up to build it now. I knew I should of had this done lol.

Hey topflight,
    There was more in that bag than just glue and tape. They even give you 2 screw drivers, allen wrenches, and an open ended wrench LOL. This is definitely a complete kit.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to get to working on this by Monday, but that means I need to get my butt in high gear and get this place cleaned up. :D We will see... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. hobbydevelopment

hobbydevelopment New Member

Very nice. I cant wait. I better start getting the shop in shape. I just saw they all up to 11 or so now. I think they are getting all that packing down pat. Unit #35 should be on the butcher block in no time. :D

7. 3DMON

Hey Topflight,
    I noticed your part of FFAA over at Flying Circus.
    Are you in Florida?

8. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Yup Over on the West Coast.

9. 3DMON

Well after seeing Larry's broken pieces I thought I should unwrap all of my parts to make sure UPS was nice to me. Guess what, they were. :p All of my parts are in perfect condition.
    I also glanced over the parts bags to see if all the blind nuts were there. From what I can tell they are. :D

Here is another picture to show the thought that Mark and Trish put into this project.

[​IMG]
    Each set of wood parts are labeled for what step they go to. When looking closer at the parts I see that each individual part has been stamped even to show what part it is. Awesome!

When I unwrapped everything and saw this, I was like WOW!
    Mark and Trish, you guys really have outdone yourselves in the quality of this kit. You guys somehow keep topping yourselves. Attached files [​IMG]

10. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Shaun please tell my you have gotten more done this unpacking lol.

11. 3DMON

LOL. I bought paint yesterday....

I've made a commitment to get my big Yak profile done before I start the build. I am really bad about having a ton of projects going on at the same time, so this time I'm trying things a little different.

12. topflight36

topflight36 Member

LOL what profile did you get. BTW do you have to paint the cutters or can I leave mine as it comes.

13. 3DMON

14. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

topflight36, painting is a personal preference and does not increase or decrease the performance of your Phlatprinter, however, it does provide protection for the MDF against temperature changes, humidity, etc., and it looks cool. :D

15. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Shaun sorry to hijack your thread some. But what type of paint do you guys recommend. What you are saying make sense.

16. 3DMON

Enamel or laquer are good.

17. topflight36

topflight36 Member

:D Thanks I guess I better get some. Mine was in the packing section last night.

18. 3DMON

Well I have been building the Phlatprinter 3 finally. Man what a joy it is putting this together.
    Mark and Trish have really got a good thing going here.
    The parts are so nice and tight on the tolerances that I've decided not to paint until it is all done. For all I know it may be a while until it actually gets the paint. I want to get this puppy up and going now LOL.

I love how my Phlatprinter keeps smiling at me now that I'm building it. :D Attached files [​IMG]

19. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:D Cool deal Shaun! Keep up the good work
    Looks great
    Mark and Trish

20. 3DMON

Wow, I realized I haven't posted in my build log in a while.

My machine has been built for a little while now. At first I was dealing with skew, but I did the pulley fix and shoved some zip ties around the shaft to get rid of the play around the inner race of the bearing. Now my machine is running perfect. No skew, no drift, everything is awesome!

Seeings how I now have the machine running the way I want it to, I decided to cut out some MDF to make a Rotozip attachment. I ran the machine at 20 ipm with .050 passes with a 1/16th bit using the multipass feature of the Phlatscript. The stock spindle did fine cutting at these speeds, but I would only suggest cutting hard materials if you have your machine dialed in with no skew or drift.

Now I am able to use a Rotozip and it's awesome. In case your wondering why I went with the Rotozip, it's because I bought it a while back for $30 (awesome Home Depot deal) to use on the MK1.5 but never used it so I figured why not.

I am extremely happy with my Phlatprinter 3. It has exceeded the MK1.5 in so many ways.
    This machine ROCKS! :banger:

Mark and Trish, thank you so much for an awesome product! :doubleup:

I will be adding the Rotozip attachment in the attachment thread soon. I also shot some video of the Phlatprinter cutting the Rotozip attachment but I still need to edit it. Attached files [​IMG]

21. 3DMON

22. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:doubleup: This is awesome Shaun and most of us have the rotozip, very cool!
    Nice tip on the safety tape as well.
    Thanks you :D
    Mark and Trish

23. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

:idea: Great work there 3DMON!! I'll have to check out that tape & the 3M stuff.
    Thanks