1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

60 P51D for my Son...

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by mudman1959, Dec 15, 2010.

1. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Started working on a New project... It's a 60" wingspan P51D, once again it will be a hybrid using both foam and balsa. Navionflyer has been very helpful with this one, he is still working on getting the fuselage right for the Phlatprinter. The wing is coming along good, working on getting the Retracts mounted now and soon the Ailerons and Flaps. I will post more as the build progresses... Mudman1959

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ://www.phlatforum.com/PhlatforumVB/converted_files/24611=9199-103_2531.JPG">[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work!
    I like the hybrid technique.

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

That is so sweet. I'll have to steal the idea!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

WOW! Looks great! :cool:

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Looks great. I plan on doing a P39 in this size range basically the same way. What are you sheeting it with? I was just gonna use blue FFF

6. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mudman1959, very nice looking "I beam" construction. keep up the good work. randy.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great work guys! I really like they way this one is turning out. Looks like it will be very light and very strong as well. Nice job so far
    Do you plan on sharing the plans for this?
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

8. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I can post the wing ribs right now if you would like. They don't line up perfectly though so they will require a little massaging. The notches for the spar line up well, but the trailing edges are off a little. I took them right from the original design. It appears that the original designer never built one from his plans. Mudman did a little trimming to make them fit. Also, the leading edge balsa was bigger than anticipated so he trimmed off a little there too.

Sheeting is Dollar Tree foam board. It is 4mm thick and goes around corners a little better than blu-cor. It's really flat too.

The design is a hybrid of two P-51s that Mudman found on the web. One is a balsa build and the other is a foam. The wing was taken from the balsa plane and I'm still working on the fuselage design. The foam design he found is a little off from scale for the fuselage. I am making it a little more scale looking. Also, scaling it up to the 58" wing.

Tim

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Lookin' good guys!

10. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

A labor of Love... I Love to build and Navion.... Well he Loves something... :D Anyways it is coming along good, working on getting the retracts installed then next the flaps and ailerons... Mudman1959

11. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Hey, it's for a good cause. Mudman's son just came back from Afghanistan. He requested this a few months ago and Mudman and I got talking about it. SO here we are. I appreciate his son's willingness to serve. It's the least I can do. I just hope Mudman doesn't crash it on the maiden flight. ;)

Tim

12. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Ha... Ha.... You Funny? :D

13. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Update 12/15/10
    Quick Update... The wingtips are on and the aft wing support is in, working on the retracts right now... Trying to make the mounting area for them a bit stronger... Mudman1959 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

For my design of the P39 ( at least in my head right now as I have yet to commit it to SU) I was going to face the ribs that support the retracts with ply, going back at least past the spar, and form a box around the retract mounts. That's a heck of a lever action for the foam to support.

Also I can't tell from the Pic, but is the main dihedral brace tied into the spar? Looks like it may be forming a shear web, but then again it doesn't. The rear dihedral brace looks like it isn't tied into the spars (blue foam viable between brace and spars). I would make sure they are tied in somehow.

15. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Update 12/16/10
    Got a little more done today on the wing, Flaps and Ailerons are on and I added some additional supports for the Retracts... Mudman1959 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Wow, looks great! :cool:

17. kram242

That's awesome and the wing looks great too! :lol: JK
    Nice job MM that wing is HUGE! the build for it looks fantastic too. I love these large models they really come out nice.
    Keep up the good work and thanks for the props :D
    Mark and Trish

18. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

Update 12/23/10
    I finally got a little spare time to install the Aileron and Flap servos. I need to get to the local hobby store and pick up a few spare odds and ends so that I can get them connected to the control surfaces. More to come... Mudman1959 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. kram242

Moving right along! What a fantastic build!
    Mark and Trish

20. mudman1959

mudman1959 Member

It's Alive!!! Got the Flaps and Ailerons connected and working. They will need final adjustments and tweaking to get it all dialed in, but not too bad so far... Mudman1959

21. kram242

aggghh I am sorry mudman I left you out of the announcements for the big winter projects today. I will put you in tonight sorry about that.
    The wing is looking awesome brother keep up the good work
    Mark and Trish

22. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

The fuselage design is coming along pretty well. Mudman and I were hashing out the details Monday afternoon. I think I have all the bulkheads drawn. Now I'm filling in the gaps. Should have it ready to cut this weekend.

Tim

23. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

The wing came out nice. Great work guys.

24. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I'm starting to get jealous. :mrgreen: Mudman will have build the last two airplanes cut on my Phlatty. I'm going to have to start building something for me pretty soon.

I am looking forward to that big P51 flying though. It should be a beautiful sight.

Tim

25. kram242

Agreed!
    Mark and Trish