1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

A new Phlatprinter in the making...

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter BUILD LOGS' started by Klondar, May 6, 2009.

1. Klondar

Klondar Member

Well I'm not sure how much of a build log this will end up becoming but I thought I'd share my work with the rest of the group.

First I have been following work on the PP since about Aug of last year, and knew that some day I would own one. Then with much saving of pennies (some quite literally) some set backs and delays, I was excited to finally be able to pick up my kit at the Toledo show. I knew that there were mods that I wanted to do and after following many of the threads here I knew I would be best off doing them as I built. Besides I still needed to save for the Controller. So more delays and penny pinching, and I was able to place an order with McMaster-Carr for What I feel should get me going on the build. I intend to use bronze bushings on both Y and Z, but may go to Eric's bushing mods if they give me problems. I also want to try and tackle the belt drive mod, If I can't get it right I'll fall back to the original plan of using my 3/8 x 12 Acme, but I think I have a plan that will get me going. I also intend to make the X roller height adjustable and have all of the parts I may need to remove for servicing removable. In the future I have been turning a plan over in my head to belt drive the Z axis, but need to have a running machine to work out all the details with, so it will come later.

McMaster-Carr order:
    Part # Disc. Qty
    1840K1 XL URETHANE BELTING, .200" PITCH, 3/8" WIDTH 4 FT
    57105K15 ACETAL PULLEY FOR XL-SERIES TIMING-BELT, 3/8" BELT WIDTH, 15 TEETH 1EA
    90598A041 TEE NUT WITHOUT PRONGS, 8-32 INTERNAL THREAD, 1/4" BARREL HEIGHT 1PK
    90273A194 ZINC-PLATED STL FLAT HEAD PHIL MACHINE SCREW, 8-32 THREAD, 1/2" LENGTH 1PK
    6338K462 BRONZE FLANGED-SLEEVE BEARING, 7/16" SHAFT, 9/16" OD, 1/2" Len. 8EA
    90272A194 ZINC-PLTD STL PAN HEAD PHILLIPS MACHINE SCREW, 8-32 THREAD, 1/2" len. 1PK
    2938T1 SAE 863 FLANGED-SLEEVE BEARING, FOR 1/4" SHAFT, 3/8"OD X 1/4"L 4EA
    2938T6 SAE 863 FLANGED-SLEEVE BEARING, FOR 3/8"SHAFT, 1/2"OD X 1/4"L 2EA

I also picked up a from Lowes: (part # to come)
    Nylon bushing 1" dia x 3/8" shaft x 1/2 thick to use as a second pulley.
    steel Bushing 3/8 od. 1/4 id x 1" long

A while back, Just before the announce ment of the belt drive/mod I ordered 12' of 3/8 x 12 Acme
    screw to use for Y and Z but for now will only be using it on the Z. I got it when it was on sale and they had free shipping so I picked up the 12' for about $20. The remainder will be used in future projects.

I purchased a set of 3 of the Easy-CNC Stock Steppers off of e-bay from someone for $20 back in Dec. So had motors waiting for the machine

And I just took a gamble on a 4 axis controller card from eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0377733782
    After reading a few cautionary notes and overall positive notes in various places on the web, I decided to give it a try. It is a bi-polar driver so I should get full torque, and it has the bonus of the extra axis for other uses and a built in relay. all for $58 plus $20 shipping. and it only took about 4 days to arrive. Initial testing with a seriously under amped power supply looks very positive.
    The picture is deceiving as it does come with a large heat sink and a built in 12v port for a fan.
    If someone decides to give one a try make sure to get This version, the older version required both a 5v supply and a 12-36v motor supply and had reliability issues. but this one has been redesigned to address the problems and seem to be fairly solid.

So I guess it's on to the build:

I have started things a bit out of order so that I had the freedom to work with some of the parts to get the bushing in place. This would be a good place to ask mark to consider offering a set of replacement parts/upgrades that have the alignment offsets removed from the slide bearing locations for those intending to make this mod. It would make things a bit less complicated. With that said, I started work on the Z gantry parts first, dry fitting the rails so that I could make sur I got the spacing and alignment right. All that was required using the bushing I chose was a bit of light sanding on the outer edged of each hole and then to help hold the alignment firm I cut 4 1"x1" pieces of 1/8" MDF and center drilled 1/2" holes. Once the bushing were aligned I slid these on them and used CA to glue them to the Z gantry parts. This will help ensure proper alignment and give added strength once the bushings are glued in. I then cut a recess for the flange to sit down in. Once I was confident thing were the way I wanted them, I used 30 min epoxy to glue the bushing firmly in place.

I'll try and take and post a few Pictures but for now the camera need to be put on the charger.

-Glen

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Glen, It's great to see another PP coming into existence! If you have any questions, just ask - if we can help, we will. Actually, even if it's no help at all, we'll try anyway. ;)
    I notice from your parts list you bought "1840K1 XL URETHANE BELTING, .200" PITCH, 3/8" WIDTH 4 FT" - -that won't be enough, you'll need around 5 feet to get around the entire racetrack, so buy a longer piece.
    Also, you'll need 2 of the "57105K15 ACETAL PULLEY FOR XL-SERIES TIMING-BELT, 3/8" BELT WIDTH, 15 TEETH ", the second one is used as the idler pulley.

3. Klondar

Klondar Member

Thanks for the input, All will be welcome. That's what I like about this Group, I've been following since nearly the beginning and the openness and willingness to help out has always impressed me.

Yea the 4' was a guess, I'll have to get another piece on order if I can't somehow make it work, as for the idler, That what the bit's form lows will be for. With a bit of cobbling, it will only cost about $2 and doesn't need the teeth, that the $8+ pulley's have.

In my scrounging, I've pulled apart many devices that use Timing belts, and the idlers are almost always non toothed. So I though I'd save a couple $$. But if I botched it on the belt, then the savings just went out the window. Well not completely, I may use it to drive Z...

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Glen how are you making out? I am gathering pics for the header rotation and would like to add yours if you have any to share. No rush if not I will add them when you get them
    Thanks
    Mark

5. Angelo barreira

Angelo barreira New Member

Olá qero montar Uma Phalatprinter, JA Tenho OS Planos da MK3, o MAS ESTA EM polegadas de, Alguém TEM em centimetros em DXF ?, senão vou ter Que Fazer TODO Desenho em milimetros parágrafo Poder mandar Cortar, e dificil Encontrar Quem corta EM polegadas de no Brasil.
    Para tirar uma duvida, tudo e cortado em MDF de 6mm??

Outra pergunta, para montar, tem algum desenho da montagem ou video que ensina a montar, pelo menos a sequencia das peças, a parte mecânica, os eixos, motores, eletrônica e rolos sei como fazer, ja tinha feito uma cnc pequena para fazer pequenas peças em mdf e polimeros.

6. Angelo barreira

Hello qero mount a Phalatprinter , JA I have OS Plans MK3 , the BUT IS IN inch , anyone MET centimeters in DXF ? , But I will have to do all drawing in millimeters paragraph Power have cut, and hard Find Who cuts AT inches in Brazil.
    To take a doubt , everything and cut into 6mm MDF ??

Another question to assemble, has some assembly drawing or video that teaches riding , at least the sequence of parts, mechanical parts , axles , engines, electronics and rolls know how to do , had already made a small cnc to make small parts mdf and polymers .

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

@kram242 has made videos that show how to assemble the PhaltPrinters, he can tell you where to find them.

If you have the files in DXF format you can load them into SketchUp. Google SketchUp if you are not familiar with it. Once in SketchUp you can choose to display in millimeters or in inches.

8. Angelo barreira

Olá Tigerpilot
    deixei uma mensagem para @ kram242, mas ele ainda não respondeu.

9. Angelo barreira

Olá Onde Posso Encontrar explicação e relação da parte eletrônica, controladora, motor de passo e onde comprar.

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Angelo please use English in this forum. Thank you.

11. Angelo barreira

3DMON my Google is configured to automatically translate and forget to convert to English when I send messages.

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Angelo. It's working now. :)