1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone having any glitches?

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

In order to get a file to fully cut, I have to do this: Turn on the PP, plug in my computer to the USB board, then load the file. If I want to recut the same file or cut another file, I have to shut everything down and start all over again following the same sequence. If I don't do this, I got a 50/50 shot the machine will crash. I get everything from all 3 axis becoming erratic and just cutting where ever they want to, to as small as the machine totally stopping halfway through the file with the software popping up a "run-time exception" error.
    Previously I had problems with driver board, got the new board which cured the problem I had before.
    I am led to believe this maybe a software or CNC-USB board issue.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I hate to say it out loud, but I'm really glad I stayed with the Mach3 setup. I use a REALLY old PIII (almost a pII ;-) ) machine and have had no problems. I have my driver board on it's own switch so I switch it off and move manually if I have to move the Y gantry more than 1/2 the length of it's total travel. Also do this when fine tuning the Z home. Then I just turn the driver board back on, do a soft reset, and home the machine. I haven't cut as much stuff as I would like, but I have yet to have a problem. I have done this between files' leaving the PC on, and Mach3 up and running. It just plain old works.

3. Kroko

Kroko Member

Erratic behavior is usually not a controller problem. Is yellow cone on software 3d display moving correctly?

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I use to get glitches even with Mach3. I found I had my vacuum cleaner too close to my computer. The was causing noise which was making things wonky. It sounds like you have a noise problem. I don't think it has anything to do the the usb board.

5. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

i want a yellow cone on my software :cry:

6. crash5050

crash5050 Member

I have a waffle cone, with chocolate Ice Cream and sprinkles...

7. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

The yellow cone is moving along the cutting path correctly...but the machine is following another portion of the block of code, almost like the USB card temporarily disconnected from the computer. That continues on for a few lines of code then, its almost like the machine realizes it made a mistake and throws a tantrum, running the X and Y axis in erratic tight circles till it melts down and unlocks the steppers.

I need to shoot some video of it but its hard to predict when it will happen.

8. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

sounds like RF interference to me

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

10. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I did several dry runs back to back and the machine didn't act up once. I am sure once I try to cut a fresh sheet of foam in, it will act up :shock: . I haven't been running my vacuum so that can be eliminated for noise problems. If there is noise issues, the only thing that could cause it is the spindle motor or cooling fan.
    I did slow down my rapid traverse to 150 and that is because I can't tighten down the Z belt enough to keep it from slipping. Any tighter and the screw shaft will start to stress. Also the X axis belt has a tendency to work its way loose so the anything over 200 rapid traverse seems to exasterbate the problem. Also It seems like if there was a couple panels bridging between the x axis stepper panel and the one behind it would help to make things more ridged so the stepper motor would hold a consistant belt tension without all the flex.

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Another thing to try is a power strip that eliminates noise like FlashSolutions did with his machine. Here is one that may help http://www.summitsource.com/vanco-5-out ... -6839.html His was a belkin power strip.
    One way to help is plug the spindle into another outlet that you know is on a separate circuit of the shop, that may help with voltage drops. I know this because I have everything in the world on one outlet here in the PhlatLAB and tripped the breaker in the middle of a cut the other day :)
    Mark and Trish

12. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I should give that a try and see if it cures the problem. It could also be possible that the voltage loads incurred when doing actual cutting is causing the problem. It may not be high enough when cutting air to cause a malfunction, even with the spindle turned on.

13. Kroko

Kroko Member

Machine from one user had similar problems. I gave him same advice about noise elimination. He was succesful and he send me this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYJLlEFVjVk
    In his case the problem occured when plasma torch touched material. I think there are 5 machines now operating plasma torch. This environment has high noise interference.