1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Automatic Hot Plate Switch

Discussion in 'Phlatformer MODIFICATIONS' started by johnbernard36, Oct 31, 2010.

1. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

I saw Dorsal's post on a relay, so I didn't want to hijack that thread, although depending on the current draw of the hotplate, I may have to replace the switch that comes with this unit http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5247&filter=Cabinet%20switch with either a heavier duty one or actually drive a relay. I'm in the process of testing it out with the Rival Skillet now.

I attached some pictures of my current setup, and other than watching to make sure the screws mounting the switch don't interfere with the lever arms, it was pretty simple.

When you have the carrier over the hot plate, power is on. The second you move it away, power is removed. NOTE: This is opposite of the normal designed operation of the switch! Normally, when a door is opened, the switch is designed to be On, we want it to be OFF. I was lucky enough to get a switch that had both normally open and normally closed contacts. Others I have seen only have two wires which would not be suitable for this.

The main point (and probably cheaper) is that you could make a mount out of angle aluminum, buy a momentary puch button switch for a few bucks that would handle the current of the Rival or whatever hotplate you use, and have a fail-safe way to ensure the hotplate is off except when you need it.

If I find a source for the type of switch you'll need, I'll post it here. The switch has to have a "soft" touch so the carrier will set in place without being cocked to one side because of the switch.

Parts: one switch, (a piece of alum 1" angle), a block of wood.

Hope this helps!
    John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

John, that is a great looking mod, and just what I was talking about!
    I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to steal the whole thing, and pretend I thunk of it! :lol:

3. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

Dorsal,

No problem! That's what it's for!

If I find a better switch that can be mounted on an alum angle, I'll post it. Should be under $10 for the materials.

me

4. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great job on this mod John! Thank you for sharing this with us. I think you will find that the Rival skillet does a good job for a heat source.
    BTW how was the build for your Phlatformer?

6. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

Build went quick and there were no issues at all. I did "square" all the slots just because of the normal radius left by the bit. I did mix a 50/50 batch of water and wood glue to paint where the adhesive strips for the sheet holder and vacuum seal go as recommended by Crash in his build log.

Excellent assembly technique with the captured nuts and screws.

The only issue now is to document a work flow for Sketchup to produce a 3d model that is usable in CamBam, Mesh3D, or whatever folks want to use, to create plugs, rather than cutting out stacks. With the MK3 and the Phlatformer, you can make every component needed for a finished model, down to the cowl, fairings, and whatever else tickles your fancy.

Great job and great products!

John

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your feedback John glad to hear it was a smooth build.
    For the work flow from sketchup to 3D you could try this plug in( sketchup_to_dxf_stl.rb
    ) to go to STL into Meshcam
    Its found here : viewtopic.php?f=103&t=95#p361
    Hope this helps and thanks again
    Mark and Trish