1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Automatic SketchUp Book (now available as free pdf)

Discussion in 'Other Sketchup related softwares/plugins' started by kyyu, May 23, 2010.

1. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The Automatic SketchUp Book is now available for free download as a pdf. It's about how to write sketchup ruby scripts (plugins), if you don't know. You can also download the example code files from the website: http://www.autosketchup.com/

The website list the google doc link where you can download the pdf, so I am positive it's a legal copy. And also the discussion here:
    http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 23&t=28410
    http://groups.google.com/group/sketchup ... 91b60c6ed0

Matthew Scarpino would be the author. So I take the liberty to upload a copy here for your convience:

-Kwok Attached files Automatic_SketchUp_pdf.zip (2.8 MB)Â

2. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Thanks Kwok, This should be a big help :)

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Oh man,
    That is awesome!
    I was thinking about buying that book too.
    Thanks for posting this Kwok.

4. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks KWOK!

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

You're welcome, guys. And if you get a chance, please send the author your comments after reading and a pat on the back. It's pretty amazing, he released it for free!!!

-Kwok

6. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Kwok this is such a great book! I am only on page 37, but already feel like I understand stuff. I am truly hoping this book will help me with 2 things, 1 start learning SU scripting and 2, as a byproduct learn to embrace SU as I do ACAD. So far ACAD still wins, but I haven't given up yet.

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Than you are much better than I am. I'm on page 56 and still don't know sh*t from chinola. :D

8. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Yoram, maybe I should explain a little. I have done some scripting in the past with Lotuscript, its all about classes and methods. I could never really get what they ment, nor could I find any good or reasonable explainations. So I blindly went forward, cobbling scripts together without really knowing why things worked or didn't work.

Thats what I understand better now. Finally someone wrote something which doesn't assume I know anything about object oriented programing. I have been programing stuff on and off since 9th grade. Back then it was DOS and basica. They were king of the hill. Turbo Pascal was the hotrod when it came along and cobol never appealed to me. About the time winbloze came along, I was focused on 8085 assembly language. Since then I turned all my attention towards embedded micros. PIC's specifically. I can write asm programs all day, and gcode is kinda a no brainer for me. I have always programed for the purpose of controlling something outside the "box".I like to make relays click and led's blink. So long story a little shorter, I missed the whole C,C+,C++,visual C, and Visual Basic. I think any of these would have kept me in the "loop" but alas, now I try to catch up.

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I did quite a bit of V-Basic, privately, never for a living. It just didn't click yet with this SU rubys. A lot is similar but there are things that I'm not use to in ruby that I still have to learn. It's just a question of perseverance and patience. :D

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Bert sounds like you and I went to the same schools :D
    Mark

11. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Mine was school of hard knocks :D I do kinda remember seeing you there. ;)

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I missed out on the dos. Now that I think back on it, that would had helped me out alot. I just hated it and could not type it in without making a mistake. Actually, the company I worked at ,briefly in Hong Kong, did program their cnc software to run in dos. As a kid, I remember having an Atari that had basic. Didn't buy my 1st computer until win95 came out. Did a few home work assignments in pascal and FORTRAN, was about all the programming I had previously done. Missed all the C's. First time I saw object was with Ruby. I think the hard part about SU Ruby is figuring out how to test stuff, which isn't as hard as people probably assume. If it's one thing that makes me a good plugin writer, is being good at testing. Half the time, when I started out, I could get by with full understanding how to code. Just got by alot by observing the results. Also, if I don't understand something, I eventually just put it to the back of my mind and the answer seems to come while writing the next plugin. :)

-Kwok