1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Being paranoid

Discussion in 'General GB Talk' started by jovian, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jovian

jovian Member

http://bigthink.com/ideas/39633

I read the above article and thought it was a good read except I can't figure out why he would calm down. Anyone of us could easily do this. Hope it will start a interesting discussion.

2. austin.mn

austin.mn New Member

I love how his first thought about the "new" technology is that someone will use it for terrorist activities.

What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? More people in our country are killed from chewing gum than from terrorism. This technology is great! Sure there may be people using it for evil... but, I doubt that will make a difference in any of our lives. All we need now is for some idiot politician to read that article and decide they need to make it illegal for anyone to own such a machine. Of course that probably won't happen until the idiot yes man politicians friend starts to loose money on some item that people are printing themselves and no longer have to buy from him. Then he will make a campaign contribution large enough to persuade the corrupt politician to get it into a law that makes it illegal to have one of these machines.

OK, that was a bit of a rant... I am just waiting to be able to buy some resin and figure out the software to get one of these things working. I was looking at all the cool things people have been making with there makerbots and it is pretty inspiring. I have never been impressed with the FDM models, until recently, but the DLP projector parts just blow them away. I can really see one of these machines coming in handy. We should see some really neat inventions in the near future. There are a lot of very creative people out there and I am fairly certain that at least one of them will be able to forever change all of our lives for the better by having the tools to make there vision a reality.

I am definitely looking forward to building some items that I would have never even tried to machine, just because of all the required fixturing that would be required. With one of these machines I should be able to print an item out with threaded holes and everything.

3. jovian

jovian Member

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm I missed it, he must have taken it down.
    Maybe for the best? It looks like this discussion may have been heading in the wrong direction :D
    Mark and Trish