1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Belt Drive Mod

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by Flashsolutions, May 14, 2009.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

During inspection of my gantry to see if I could fit a swivel pen into it, I discovered my pulley was sitting at an angle and binding up due to the delrin having broken at the tab that supports the bolt holding it in place.

I did not like the fact that the bearing blocks do not support the shaft on each end in the first place and I did not want to hack up the gantry to allow full 22" travel if the bearing blocks were mounted properly with bearings on each end of the shaft so the remaining option is to mount the bearing blocks on the OUTSIDE of the cabinet.

This of course requires a longer belt, but Mark and Trish were kind enough to supply a new belt which will be long enough to extend past the cabinet.

I first designed a bearing block in MDF and tried out my theory. Hinged on one side, it would be possible to adjust the belt tension with a single screw.

After rigging up a temporary bearing block, I asked my friend and phlathead member John Bernard if he could make a better bearing block using his mill.

Two hours later, John had created a work of art for me out of a solid block of aluminum. Thank you John!

The MDF prototype would have worked and probably held up for quite awhile, but this baby is the cats pajamas! Its the fanciest piece of hardware on my phlatprinter now! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice mod Flash!
    There is just too much stress on that pulley not to have the top supported. With it being on the ouside you should have no problems getting your max cutting width.
    Thanks for posting.

3. meistertek

meistertek Member

The aluminum bearing block John made for you looks awesome, especially next to the laser cut cover for the Easy CNC control board! :) The bearing block looks like it is indeed a very good way to support and tension the belt from the photos. How long of a belt piece was required? Also what kind of performance increase did you see from this mod?

4. Flashsolutions

meistertek, there will probably not be any performance increase. It is more of a maintenance issue at this point.

I should be able to restore my full 22" cut path and belt tension is now much easier to set since the adjustment is on the outside.

As to belt length, I just had to add about another 6 to 8 inches to the existing belt. I am not sure exactly what it comes out as yet because I am still waiting on a new belt to replace the original one that is now too short.

I rigged up a temporary extension with a piece of brass and some alligator clips for testing while I wait for the new belt but that was more to check the alignment than anything.

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow Flash that turned out really nice!
    Its truly a great idea as well. Great job on this one
    We sent the belt out as fast as we could hoping that you would have it to work on this weekend. We know how important the weekends are for getting anything done.
    I hope you get it in time.
    Looks like with this set up you will be getting 22.5? cutting width
    Nice one Flash
    Mark

6. Flashsolutions

Mark, the belt arrived this afternoon! Thanks again! Took less than 5 minutes to install and adjust.

I really like having the belt tension adjust where it is easy to access. It was nearly impossible to adjust before from the stepper motor which is buried and because I have no way to take my top off.

I once again have the full travel now less 1/4" that my limit switch is setup to stop any slamming into the the sides.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Glad to hear Flash! :D Your more than welcome. After we sent it out I thought we should have sent it overnight just in case but I am glad it worked out in the end.
    I really like the idea of the screw adjustment of this mod, this is something we are going to have to keep in mind for the future.
    Great job on this one
    Mark