1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

bit drift

Discussion in 'Mach3' started by flightime, Aug 8, 2009.

1. flightime

flightime New Member

I am having a problem with the z access drifting up into the material as it cuts out the project.
    I started to cut out the tables for the MK11, when it first starts out it looks great, but by about half way through the cut the bit has drifted up about 1/8" to 1/4" and by the end of the cut it will have drifted up about 1/4" to 1/2" and cutting my material to shreds.

2. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

There have been other posts with a similar problem and the first suggestion I always see is to make sure there isn't a set screw slipping on one of the motor shafts. iflyos had the problem and it went away when he tried EMC2 so maybe there is a software setting in MACH causing it. I'm sure others will be along to provide more help.

3. flightime

flightime New Member

Thank you
    I will dig into it a little more.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Every time my bit was drifting UP, it was because I didn't have the chuck tight enough, and it was vibrating up and out of the chuck. Reset and re-tighten your bit and use a magic marker to make a ring around it, for reference. You will be able to easily see if it's coming out.
    If it was losing steps in Z, it's far more likely they would be in the opposite direction because you're far more likely to lose steps when the motor is working to push the axis up than when it's letting it come down.

5. flightime

flightime New Member

I checked the height of the bit and it is the same as when I started.

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

Flighttime, Gasmasher is right, i had the same issue, and went thru my machine with a fine tooth comb looking for mechanical issues. I even went back and drilled dimples in my shaft flats so the set screw couldn't possibly move, and still had the problem.
    Finally, when I was about to look into the motors being the problem (after eliminating the driver board) I decided to try using EMC2...and my machine works great! I haven't had the chance yet to go back to my windows box and figure out what I need to do to Mach to get it right, but i intend to at some point.

EMC2 is a great package, and even if someone were not familiar with Linux, the Ubuntu Distro is friendly to use. You might try it and see if that solves your drift issue....

Do you have an MKI or MKII?

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. flightime

flightime New Member

I will give it a try, also i have the mk11.
    Thanks all for the help.

Aaron

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

The reason I asked is I can share settings for EMC and the MKII. They are different from the MKI

Gimme a bit, my Wife is working today, and my little one is wild today..he won't let me sit for more than a second at a time!

Tim
    AG4RZ

9. iflyos

iflyos Member

10. flightime

flightime New Member

Thank you, I will give it a try.

11. flightime

flightime New Member

what part of emc do i need to get into, i got into a part called ubuntu and now i cannot get out of it. do you have any ideas. thanks

12. iflyos

iflyos Member

Ubuntu is the operating system, like Windows.

EMC is the CAM package. Once Ubuntu is up and running, EMC is located in the "Applications" tab. It's kinda like the "Start" button/Tab in windows.

I will try to get some screen shots this evening to help you out.

Tim
    AG4RZ

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Oh boy... Yikes! :shock:
    Can you give any more details on what you mean by "got into"
    What computer have you tried this on?
    Do you have an independent phlatprinter computer or is this your main Desktop?
    Do you want to get out of Ubuntu? ;)

For testing purposes, you can do what they call a live boot off the Ubuntu CD from the http://linuxcnc.org/ website. This will allow you to "try out" the new operating system and play around with the CAM software EMC2. If you like what you see, it will give you the option to install. Otherwise, you just reboot the PC and remove the CD and you will find everything the way it was left.

If you have already installed Ununtu, you may need a Windows CD, or maybe your Recovery Disc / Partition to get Windows back...

If you want both Windows and Ubuntu that is also possible, but is a little more advanced. Just let us know.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

When I installed the live cd, it just installed as dual boot. It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly. But I assume it detected windows and gave me the option. Not much to installing the EMC2/Ubuntu combo live cd, actually.

-Kwok

15. iflyos

iflyos Member

Kwok, Mine is the same way. Grub had no problems detecting xp-32 bit and xp-64 bit installs that were already on my particular dedicated machine...

Tim
    AG4RZ

16. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I couldn't remember if you had to go back in and reload grub... I think that is the case if you have ubuntu first.. It's not hard, just a little more into it.

17. flightime

flightime New Member

I tried both of those methods and now luck, I took it up to best buy and they told me that i would have to delete my hard drive. I will be picking up a new deck top and i will wait until Mark can get Mach fixed.

Thanks for all the help.

18. iflyos

iflyos Member

Do you have a "real" computer store around? I don't want to offend, but I wouldn't trust Best Buy to recommend a specific mousepad, much less anything dealing with hardware or software issues...

When you downloaded the Live CD, what did you do next? Burn the *.iso to a disk, or??

Tim
    AG4RZ

19. flightime

flightime New Member

I burned it to a disc. and Installed it.

20. iflyos

iflyos Member

When you power up the computer, does it ask you at any point which operating systems you want to start? It should give you the option to select Windows or Ubuntu...

Tim
    AG4RZ

21. flightime

flightime New Member

I re-installed windows on my system and it removed ubuntu for me. I down load mach again and now my Z access is not working at all. I shut the printer down, moved the motor leads. the motors seem to be fine, the Z access will still not move. Is it a bad board?

22. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

23. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Dorsal, i made a puller from a paperclip i straightened out. then i bent a small hook on each end. then i kinda made a u bend in it. i don't have my camera rite now, but its kinda like the one seen in the link. it worked very well...randy.

24. flightime

flightime New Member

I gave it a try. the chip is still good. I got it to work in the y axis.

25. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Have you tried controlling another motor(axis) with the Z controller? I assume you double checked the pin assignments, in the ports&pins config? You could also have someone send you their working config file, "Mach3Mill.xml", as a last resort to verify.