1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

BOSCH COLT MOUNT PROTOTYPE.....

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 Attachments' started by rjarois, Feb 10, 2011.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark and Trish were kind enough to send me a Bosch colt router attachment to test. they told me it was in the prototype stage and was looking for some feedback. first i have to say is the fit between parts is extremely accurate. so well of a fit, i assembled the unit and hit with some CA glue. just slip the brace pieces into parts a-1 and a-2 then partial insert into the mounting plate, then do the same with b-1, b-3, and part c.....then tighten up the screw and nuts. then i clamped the parts, then hit with some ca. it is a sweet looking unit. as of now mark and trish are working up a price for the mk-3 bosch colt mount. mark, trish great work!!!! peace, randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very nice Randy....I'm also going to give the "PONY" a ride... :banger:

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I just whipped up a new vacuum shoe for mine today. It has been on my list of things to do for some time. I have been using a second vacuum just to keep up with the MDF dust, but am hoping this mod will pick up the debris a bit better.

I used neodymium magnets to attach the shoe so that I can easily remove it when changing bits.

The suction of the vacuum holds the shoe in place on its own, but the magnets keep it there when the vacuum is off, yet make it a snap to remove.

If this does not pick up the dust, I still could add some different length PVC sleeves around the bit opening to direct the flow to a more concentrated area.

Am waiting for the glue to dry on the magnets to see how if it will work. Attached files [​IMG]

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice Randy! I have changed a few things to let the router get proper airflow though the bottom among several other things, can't leave well enough alone :)
    Love the magnets Flash that was a great idea!
    Nice work guyz
    Mark and Trish

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think it looks nice but I wonder about letting the router's airflow come out the bottom like that. I would think a better vacuum chamber would be the route to go. MDF dust is some pretty nasty stuff.

6. Flashsolutions

I was wondering about that as well.

When I was making mine, the results varied based on how large the chamber itself was made.

When I only used a 1/4" deep chamber, I could not get sufficient airflow. Even with 1/2" opening, I was not getting the full flow. It was not until I went to a 3/4" chamber that I finally could feel the full force of the vacuum pulling from the bit opening.

The closer you can direct the airflow to the work surface, the more dust you can collect.

I am thinking that even with my vacuum chamber, a concentrator insert might be beneficial. It is doing a good job of pulling the dust now, but if I could direct the airflow even closer to the material being cut, I might be able to get even more.

The problem you run into when trying to get the vacuum to concentrate around the bit opening is that you soon loose the ability to reach the collet to change bits.

That was the reason I ended up using the magnets. This lets the vacuum chamber grow big enough so as not to restrict air flow yet be easily removable so you can get to the collet.

7. kram242

From the test I tried the tool gets way to hot, and needs that cool air flowing through it. With a broken tool there is no dust :) So I wanted to be sure it gets as much air flow as possible.
    From what I have been seeing what we need is a good dust skirt maybe from flex tube that can ride on top of the pressure rollers, or perhaps a square bellow (think old camera :D) [​IMG]
    We already have easy access to the chuck, and we don't really want to try and build the vacuum port down any lower (loss of cutting depth) so maybe the bellows system would fill the gap and keep the dust moving up and out?
    Mark and Trish

8. Flashsolutions

The vacuum chamber I am using forces plenty of cool air around the bit, much more so than without it, so I think I am getting good cooling, but I have also looked at how Johns machine is setup and he uses what looks like ripstop nylon strips about 3/4" in length for a dust shoe. That might be another option.

The added height of my MDF shoe only extends to the end of the collet, so you still have sufficient clearance for cutting.

I think the original flex shaft spindle gantry did not have enough of a chamber opening to allow the full force of the vacuum to pull air thru it.

The thing about using a bellows or dust shoe like Johns is that you can't see the bit as it cuts and I really like being able to monitor the cuts in case any material breaks up while cutting.

I have done several test cuts with the new attachment and it does a pretty good job. The only thing I would like to add is the ability to put different length extensions around the bit opening to force the opening down even closer to the material.

I am thinking 1" or 1 1/4" diameter PVC pipe cut to different lengths and press fit into place would provide a good extension to get the air flow closer to the material.

I hope to work on that sometime next week.

9. kram242

I see what you are saying about not being able to see the cuts, maybe we can get clear corrugated hosing? That would allow us to see a little of what was going on.
    I cut the one you posted and the vacuum had very little effect on the dust at all. Even the one I have here that Randy's using will not catch the dust like it should. We need to need a good skirt design, I have tried the brush approach as well as the fingered skirt and the problem here is that they have a tendency to get caught under the rollers.
    We need something like Bob is using here [​IMG]
    So that it can rid on top of the pressure rollers. That's why I suggested the bellows shown above or perhaps corrugated piping [​IMG] large enough to fit on both sides of the pressure rollers and ride without creating to much drag. Either way that chamber seem to be key in getting any vacuum system to work correctly.
    Mark and Trish