1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Bottom Vac system and chuck storage

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by topflight36, Jan 6, 2011.

1. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Ok guys Here are some pictures of just a quick hook-up we did to see if our idea was going to work. Which it did :D . Basically the idea was to create a suction from the bottom to help with the mess some. So we took some 1/4 fff and placed a piece on the back of the machine with some tape and cut a hold in it for our 12 shop vac hose. Then we installed a piece of 3mm depron on the inside computer cabinet to keep the vac from pulling air from that air. The reason for this is that we didnt want the computer fan and the vac to be fighting each other. Like I said this is a super quick hook-up just to see if it would work. It has enough power to suck a piece of foam to the rollers with a decent amount of force.

Now I am in the process of making a collection tray collector that will do two thing. First it will hide the collection system and make this machine look nicer. 2nd, I did notice that it sucks the dust downwards however it does collect it all. So this will help with that.

Also I was wondering where I was going to store my chuck as I tend to lose things around the shop sometimes lol. After thinking for a little while I remembered that we sold what they call wire tamers the little red things it the photo. These are typically used in giant scale plane. I installed one on the inside door on the left hand side. This holds the chuck nicely and I installed mine low enough that when I decide to do the chuck handle mod I will be able to install the driver in there as well with a few more wire tamers. Attached files [​IMG]

2. topflight36

topflight36 Member

pic two

Attached files [​IMG]

3. topflight36

topflight36 Member

chuck pic

Attached files [​IMG]

4. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Once I get the collection tray done I will post it on here for everyone. Hope you guys like the idea.

5. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I really like the bottom Vac! After cutting through a complete bundle of FFF over the last two evenings my work area was covered with foam dust. I haven't done the dust shoe mod yet, that may have helped some. The bottom Vac looks to be a real good choice to solve the build up of scraps and dust that accumulated under my machine cabinet. I think I will try the bottom Vac setup this weekend and see how much of an improvement it makes. I know the family room carpet will appreciate less blue foam dust all over it! :shock:

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good ideas Tom!
    I like the chuck key holder.

7. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Just an update I almost have the tray built. Then I will post up the sketchup files along with some pictures.