1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Build Tips

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by Flashsolutions, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Here is a little tip I use when gluing projects such as the Phlatprinter or the e-QSC balsa plane in which Titebond or other white water soluble glue is used to glue the parts together.

I bought an inexpensive package of assorted brushes from Michaels Craft store. I use the flat shaped brushes to brush on the glue rather than just squeezing it from the bottle onto the part to be glued.

I put down a small piece of visqueen or drop cloth or even a manilla folder will do. I squeeze some glue onto this and then dab my brush into the glue before applying to the parts.

This lets me get into those small areas where the glue is needed without excess glue needing to be squeezed out when the two parts are brought together.

I keep paper towels and a water spritzer handy to quickly clean the brush between periods where I am not using it. Place the brush over the paper towel and spritz the water on the brush and towel and then wipe it clean so it does not harden.

This saves on glue and the glue dries faster because there is thin coat instead of a glob of glue that needs to dry. Also, the parts fit better because heavier glue adds a small amount of depth between the parts.

This also reduces the tendency for the parts to slip out of position when set aside to dry without clamping.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great tips Larry thank you for sharing
    Mark and Trish

3. Flashsolutions

Here is another tip for those building the Phlatprinter .

When you get to the step in which you insert the ACME thread rod into the bearings you may find the fit is too tight for the rod to go into the bearing.

If so, take some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and polish the rod with it. It will remove the microscopic burrs and let the rod slip into the bearing easily.

Inside the anti-backlash nut is a small 1/8" diameter dowel. This is there to keep the spring from flying off prior to inserting your Acme rod. It should push out as you screw in the rod. If you are having trouble getting the rod to start, you might want to push the dowel in a bit.

If for some reason you need to take it apart, be sure to put the little dowel back in place.

4. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Thanks for these tips.

Tom

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Dohhh, that's what that dowel was for. I didn't remove it until the rod pushed it out, but I was wondering what it was there for.

I can't say I really have any tips to add at this point. EVERYTHING was spot on so far.

6. kram242

Thanks for the tip on the dowel rod Larry, I had a note to mention it in the video, but it must have gotten lost in the sea of 'remember to mention this' notes section of the video editing :oops:
    Sorry about that guys
    Mark and Trish

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I've got the same kind of spring and ring on the anti-backlash nut for the 1/2-10 5-start rod on my 4X4, but I was afraid the end of the screw might try to dig into the (Delrin ?) nut. The dowel on my anti-backlash nut is about 3/8" diameter, but it provided the same protection for shipping the nut.
    There is a LOT of friction when getting it started by hand, so I pushed the ring down to compress the spring, which lets the "ears" on the anti-backlash nut spring open, reducing drag. After I got the rod fully through the nut, I let the ring and spring go back to their intended position, and things got tight again, with no visible damage to the threads. :geek:

8. Flashsolutions

Okay, so your Phlatprinter is on the way or has arrived.

Decision time... Do I paint it or build it stock?

If I do paint it, should I build it first or paint as I go?

Do I have the patience to paint as I go?

These are questions only you can answer.

For me, I have decided to paint as I go. Yes, it will take more time, but I am in no hurry. Phlatboyz has made the task so much easier than when I built my first one. Now everything is grouped into steps. The gantry parts are separated from the I-Beam parts and cabinet parts etc.

Painting as you go means preparing your parts first. This is time consuming but necessary if you don't want to get paint on the hardware which becomes an integral part of the machine.

Because the tolerances are very tight, any paint that would be left on the tabs would prevent them from going into their corresponding slots, so this necessitates masking the tabs or sanding them afterwards.

I chose to mask the tabs, and here is a little tip I have used to make the process work for me.

9. kram242

Great tips video Larry! Thank you for sharing this. Removing the tape like you did in the video really made it look easy and the result looks professional.
    Awesome job!
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

10. jovian

jovian Member

Nice video larry. Are you doing anything to protect the slots when painting?

11. Flashsolutions

Good question... No I am not. The reason being that the paint soaks into the edges and does not build up like it does on the hardened surface of the MDF so there is no problem fitting the parts even if you do get paint there.

Oh and by the way, you may need to paint the ends of the tabs that show up on the face of another part with a small brush after you assemble the parts.

12. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    Thank you for the tips on painting. :cool:

I am going to paint my 3.
    I am using hammertone paint on it.
    I'll post pictures when I get started.

13. Flashsolutions

My Pivot Arms were very tight and I discovered that the spray paint didn't help matters either.

I used a Dremel sanding wheel to remove the paint from the inside tracks for the pivot arms which helped but did not completely alleviate the problem.

I ended up taking the pivot arms off and applied a liberal amount of lithium grease to the inside of the arms and the tracks which the bearings traverse.

Now everything is smooth as silk, well as smooth as one might want anyway.

14. rcav8r

I rolled my paint on, and my pivot arm were tight also. I did clean out the tracks before assembling it, and all appeared to be free. When I put the handle on, it became very tight. The holes for the handle were cleaned, but the handle was still tight, VERY tight. I then wire brushed , and buffed the rod (handle) as some of the sticker residue was still on there. Once this was freed up, and put back on the PP/// and all was well. I think it was a combination, of the tight handle, and the tight handle pushing too tight against the sides. Now there is a slight gap on both sides between the pivot arms, and cabinet, and the handle has a slight float between the pivot arms. The left side still sticks a bit when I put the rollers down, and the right side takes a try or two to hold in the up position, but it has been getting freer and freer with use.... just as Mark describes in the video.

Re the tabs and paint. I had done about 1/2 the painting on mine before I saw Flash's tip on masking them off. I then did the rest his way. Boy was that a lot easier than what I was doing. THANKS for the tip.

Yea, the paint may cause some issues with the super tight tolerances that are machined and designed into this kit, but all in all they are easy to fix, and painting the wood parts are well worth it; particularly if you live in a humid environment like I do.

RE the tip Flash gave in post 1 about gluing. I do this a lot as there is less slippage like Flash mentioned with too much glue. I use disposable 1/4" brushes. The kind with the thin wrapped tin handles. I get them by the gross at Toledo for next to nothing. Also I use 90% rubbing alcohol in a spritzer to clean up the glue. I've had problems with the glue leaving a residue when cleaning with water. I'm in the process of doing some reconstructive work on a table we have that is from the 1700s. With the rubbing alcohol clean up, you can't even see where the glue joints are.

15. jovian

jovian Member

Interesting tip on the rubbing alcohol. I will have to try it

16. Flashsolutions

The non skid material covering the rollers combined with the spring tension will do a number on balsa!

To keep the rollers from digging into the balsa, use a foam carrier under the balsa being cut.

Probably not a good idea to cover your top rollers with the non slip material provided as an option for this very reason.

I have ordered some 1/32" Neoprene strips http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rubber-Strip-1DXF5 (on backorder currently) and an extra set of rollers to use on my Phlatprinter for cutting this type of material and other harder surface materials such as phonelic or acrylics. Attached files [​IMG]

17. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

You've found a new way to not need the woodpecker tool that topflight sells. I wonder when Mark and Trish are gonna have the other roller options available.

18. rcav8r

Yep, I "discovered" this with my MK1.5. I have one of the original Woodpeckers ( before Great Pains stole the idea) and always used it before covering a plane. When I my Pronto kit last year with the MK1.5, the top and bottom rollers effectively aerated the wood. No bubbles in the covering, and I didn't have to use the wood pecker.

19. 3DMON

Here's a small tip I found that made putting the belt together easier for me...

Tape the belt to the block.
    I don't know how Mark managed to get it to stay on there without taping it first lol. Attached files [​IMG]

20. 3DMON

Another tip I have is if you don't want to use nuts and bolts to hold the steppers in you can drill and tap the holes for a 1/4-20 bolt. Use a #7 drill to drill out the holes.

21. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Shaun, you want to cut the thread in the wood or in the stepper? Also, why would you not use the nuts and bolts?

22. rcav8r

I tapped the steppers in my MK1.5 as it was easier to tighten the screws without having to worry about starting and then holding onto the nut while tightening. Almost impossible with the Z axis if I remember correctly. Kinda wish I did this with my MK, but I didn't have any spare 1/4x20 bolts at the time. The steppers are the ones that are tapped; at least that is the way I did mine.

23. 3DMON

Tap the stepper motors. It just makes things easier for me not having to fiddle with the nut.

24. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I had a bear of a time on the belt clamp, like Shaun. Then I remembered how Mark did it on the MK2. He put a dab of super glue style CA on the belt teeth where it contacted the clamp. Just enough to hold it, and wouldnt you know it worked great on the Phlatprinter 3's belt clamp.

I also tapped my steppers. After fighting the nut assembly for a long time, the tapped threads on the steppers makes adjustments and replacements MUCH easier. Tap was 5$ at Ace and the T handle was maybe 10$. Well worth it in terms of hassle eliminated.

25. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Use CA on the electronics spacers stand-offs to stick them to the MDF. This makes sliding your cards on and off easier. Plugging wires into the easycnc card while it is mounted is a crap-shoot. Remove it from the mount before trying to plug in your wires.

I also ended up using lithium grease on the roller hold down assembly. And a LOT of breaking it in.