1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

building parts trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by Mark44, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Happy New Years everyone,

I resumed my build after the New Year and am on Step 6. I've gotten to putting IP 1 and IP 2 together. The bearings were a very tight fit, but I got them in to their holes. The axle was also at tight fit into the IP 1 bearing, but I did manage to work it in. Then when I tried to put the pulley on, I could not get it to slide on. I've made sure that the set screw isn't in the way, but it's a no go. The spacer fits nicely though. I decided to see if I could get the axle into IP 2, but also a no go, in doing so I split off a layer of MDF on the backside, which I can glue back down.

I think the axle is a fraction too big. Has anyone else had this problem and what do you recommend I do. I'm stumped.

2. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

A drill and some 400 grit sand paper polish the heck out of that axle.

3. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Thanks foamlvr,

Good advise, which I think would work, if I hadn't managed to get the axle into the bearing so tight that I'm not able to get it out. I've tried a variety of methods that if I'd continued would have destroyed the axle or the bearing. I think I'll have to give up and replace them. So, the lesson here is to dry a dry fit, and if you have a problem getting a good fit, stop and think of a better solution than using force to get a fit.

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I didn't get mine all the way in, but enough to engage both bearings. A couple more passes with the drill and sand paper would have done it. maybe freeze it.

5. Mark44

Mark44 Member

The replacement parts that Mark and Trish sent me arrived, everything fit great and I moved ahead with my build. Just finished Step 7, and I'm now ready to move onto step 8.

I just want to add a big thanks for getting me the replacement parts, and so quickly too.

Thanks again.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Your more then welcome Mark sorry for the build delay.
    Keep up the good work! :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

7. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Hi guys,

I'm having more trouble with parts that don't quite fit. On Step 11, installing the drive rollers, I was able to get two lock collars on, but the other two lock collars do not fit, no matter how much I twist them, turn or try and push them on. Any suggestions?

I've been working on this all day. I took my Phlatprinter apart and managed to get one more lock collar on without too much effort. But the last one....the very last one, not a chance. I worked it on a little bit, then spent about an hour working it off again. It just does not want to fit. Slightly damaged X4 while I was at it. :girl_cray2: I need another.

I installed the small pulley to the x axis stepper, but I see that later on there is a screw(s) that is attached to the pulley. I'm very much a see then do builder, so I didn't put those on to the pulley. Without back stepping the build, is it too late to add them, or even necessary?

I replaced the small allen screw.

Just as an aside. I'm curious to find out if anybody else is experiencing problems with machined parts not fitting together. :twitch:

I had to go and get some washers from a hardware store. I found one that was what i wanted, so then I just reached into the bin and pulled out some more. When I got home and tried to put them on, one of the washers was the correct size, but it wasn't a match and was from another bin. So, back to the store, got another washer and carefully looked at it to make sure it matched. Only when I got home did I notice that while it was a mostly good match it too wasn't a complete match, it was a little thinner. Not wanting to make a fourth trip to the store, I used it. Just a service to let everybody know to really make sure you're getting exactly what you're looking for instead of assuming that you are.

8. kram242

Mark44,
    Sorry to hear that your having theses problems with your build.
    I will try to answer you questions.
    yes you can add the screw after. you can tip the Phlatprinter on its back and reach in to do it this way or take the stepper out and add it. You will want to make sure that you are aligned with the flat side of the stepper shaft with the screw. the reason for the longer grub screw is to ensure that the pulley does not move on the shaft.
    We will send the part X4 out to you as well.
    Once again we must apologize for this inconvenience, but want to ensure you that we will do what it takes to fix you up :)
    Please send us a PM or email if you have any other questions or need any other parts.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

9. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Mark,

I'll see what I can do about the end of the shaft, I really don't want to send the one roller back. Could you let me know a little more about where and how much grinding or filing I'll have to do. If not a lot, I think I can do it myself.

Are there any other issues like this that I should watch out for as I proceed.

Thanks for sending me another X4, getting that collar off was almost impossible. I don't know how it managed to get so stuck.

10. kram242

That's no problem and really one of the cool things about this machine. We have extras of a lot of the parts and it makes it fun to be able to know you can mod and cut into parts to experiment. We can send out new parts with out a problem. :)
    Our offer still stands if you need to send it back we can fix it for you. You should not see any more areas like this as these are the only ones that get the pressed bearings and that pressure in combination with tight tolerances is what can cause this to happen.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

11. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Thanks Mark,

I'll have a go at it, but if I'm not able to get it on, I'll send it back to you.

Thanks again

12. kram242

Your more then welcome, thank you for understanding :good:
    We sent out the x4 to you today :)
    Mark and Trish

13. Mark44

Mark44 Member

You may have heard that the NW had some snow. I didn't go out for a couple of days to get something to help me out with the roller ends. When I did get out to a hardware store, I got a small grinding stone that I could use in a drill and did that ever work great. It came in handy again putting the drill chuck into the gantry.

Anyway, I've raced to the finish of the build. Now for the next request, and I hope that Mark isn't too tired of me and my requests yet. The fan was broken when I removed it from the baggie. The corner of the housing is broken, but also a tip of one of the blades, drat.

Now I need to pay more attention to the operation of my phlatprinter, and actually get it cutting.

14. DLS

DLS New Member

I just saw this thread and it's probably too late to help but I had some similar issues. There was one step that I actually used an arbor press to press a shaft into a bearing because of a tight fit...I remember thinking I would have been stuck without the press.

I also had the same trouble with one of my drive roller axles. The shaft collars fit fine on one but the other was a no go. I went to my local Ace hardware and picked up two 1/2" ID shaft collars that fit perfectly. I just wrote it off to factory tolerances being off but I also thought maybe one axle was metric and the other english because the Ace hardware collars were english and fit fine. It's also interesting that the bigger drive roller axle is super tight in the bearings and I haven't had any skew or drift issues at all so far( knock on wood). It may have nothing to do with it, but I guess it's possible that the bearings being really locked on that axle could be a factor.

15. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, I don't use my fan. My PS puts out about 10 more volts than are speced for the fan, so I don't have it hooked up. I'm using the stock steppers with the stock driver board (and MACH3, not the USB card). Been running it like this since it was new (and I have build #5) and all has been OK.

So go ahead and get it running, but keep an eye on the boards just in case.

16. kram242

Hi mark we will get a new fan out to you very soon. Glad to see you are almost up and cutting! :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

17. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I found that as I was doing the build, if you watch the Mark do the build first, then review again just the short term task, your build will go fairly smooth.

Do dry fits of everything first, then the final placement of the parts. If you do run into a problem, someone will have an idea on how to help you out. Also, if you damage a part, Mark comes to your rescue.

Oh and on more tip...make sure that you have put the pieces together in their correct orientation, it helps a lot in the following steps.

So, now I'll continue with my video training and getting the hang of creating g code.

Regarding the fan and the other pieces you've sent me.....

Thanks Mark

18. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Good advice on the build. Mine did go together really well with only a few hiccups. The hiccups I did have, I probably would not have had if I just watched the full section of the build before trying to start the steps.

Great to hear you resolved the issue. This is such an awesome machine, and I find new uses for it every day!