1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Centerline and Fold cut depth !!!

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by xtremeRCpilot, Dec 15, 2010.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hello Phlattys,
    Could some one tell me why we are limited to 110% on these two tools, I need to have 120% to make up for an indifference in 3mm depron. Some areas are 3.4mm and the cuts do not penetrate all the way through the foam! Is there a way to change the default on this!!
    Thanks for your help!
    John

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Can't say, but I guess no one was expected to need more and it's probably a nice safety measure. Here is a mod with the restriction increased to 140%. Just unzip to the sketchup folder root, like if you are installing the phlatscript. 3 files will be over-written.

[attachment=0][PSv0924 Mod] Fold & CL (140% depth limit).zip[/attachment] Attached files Fold & CL (140% depth limit).zip][PSv0924 Mod] Fold & CL (140% depth limit).zip (5.1 KB)Â

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

KWOK, I love ya Man!!! Works perfecto!! I usually only need depths no more than 50% but since most of us have to input our projected depth there should be no problem with worrying about over cutting, plus the inside/outside dont have this restriction so it should be just fine!!! :p

Thanks again Brother!!
    John

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is something that has bugged me. I never understood why it wasn't done this way to begin with.
    Thanks Kwok.

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Why should 140% be the limit, or any value for that matter.

Once we finally got the ability to set the material overcut we were now able to put in an exact material depth by specifying that depth and setting overcut to be 100% . That was a huge improvement especially when cutting balsa and 3mm foam where accuracy is demanded.

Now if we could just do away with percentages everywhere and input exact values, we would have the tools we need to do more precise work. It is a pain every time one needs to change material thickness and has to recalculate what it takes to get a .1" cut depth so that accurate depths can be set.

The machines have evolved over time, but the Phlatscript has not kept up. Today we have far more accurate machines that can cut materials we never dreamed of cutting 2 years ago.

In trying to keep the Phlatscript as simple as possible, we have sort of tied our hands down with regard to the capabilities and accuracies that have come with the newer machines.

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Ticket #91 I created on 9-2-09 is this same problem I was trying to explain but it was never addressed.

Thank you Kwok, this was very much needed.

Thanks Flash for bringing it up again.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Maybe a good solution or compromise would be the ability to do both? Where we could enter either a percent or an exact decimal value and it would accept it, kinda like sketchup allows us to enter decimal or metric in most situations.
    Mark and Trish

8. 7up

The ability to go greater than 100% on CL/FL was my concern. I think Kwok's solution is great, the ability to enter amounts manually would be fine but I really see no need for it unless it is a really simple fix.

I just got a chance to try it and I see no difference. Both CL and FL tools toggle from 25-100 in increments and once it reaches 100, it restarts at 25 again. I replaced my "Tools" directory in my SU root directory and replaced all files that it asks. I tried both SU8 and SU7.

Did I do something wrong Kwok? I was using the "D" key to toggle. :?:

9. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Oh, that would be just awesome! Great idea (again) Mark! Keeps the downward compatibility yet expands the options for those who want them.

7UP - Hit D follwed by the value you wish to use input from the numbers on the top of the keyboard, not the keypad, to enter values other than the presets.

10. 7up

OK, thanks Flash, I use an on-screen magnifier and on-screen keyboard. I am so accustomed to it I never think to mention it.

11. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Thanks, kwok. This just became super useful for me!

I also found this mod to the Constants.rb file helpful. I know you can manually enter the values but it is finicky.

[pre]$fold_depth_factor_array = [25, 50, 75, 100]original
    $fold_depth_factor_array = [10,20,25,30,40,50,60,70,75,80,90,100,110,115,120][/pre]moded

12. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Whats TT up to :D

I was wondering if anyone else found that depth cuts are also temperamental to the various thickness of each piece of foam, I have sheets of 3mm depron where one side is 3.1mm and the other is 2.8mm so when you do an 80% cut it breaks the skin toward the thinner side :( Some sheets are better than others!

13. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

that's been a ongoing issue with me john.....i just don't have the time to figure out depth percentages...ther have been many times i wanted to hold a pocket depth as lets say .142in. on a piece of .250 material. i don't want to have to figure out what percent value that is. i think mark has the rite idea to be able to program and input a decimal value. it would be way better, well at least to me. randy.

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

I agree Randy, more precise for sure!! We just have no control over each piece of foam so I have been measuring each thickness with my digital caliper and then calculating the home point of my z axis! once our cut depth percentages have been assigned its less work to set the axis then go back and figure the difference by percent! If that makes any sense!! :p

John