1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Centerline tool and tabs?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by matt_o_70, Mar 4, 2012.

1. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 Member

Guys,
    I am starting to get the hang of SU and to learn my way around I am converting some PDF's to SU files. One of my first projects is to try the One Sheet Wing from over on RCG. I have managed to duplicate and seperate the parts out into the format that is common here (where there is wasted space between them all). In doing this however it occurred to me that this was kinda silly since the Centerline tool could be used to perform the cuts like one would do with a knife.

In the true spirit of the OSW - Where the object is to maximize the use of the material what I am trying to do is cut out all the parts with the Centerline tool. However to do this I then need to place tabs onto the Centerlines to keep all the parts connected. I can't seem to get the tab tool to function on the selections used with the Centerline tool. Am I missing something here? Is there a workaround that will allow me to add tabs to centerlines?

This would certainly reduce the amount of time necessary doctoring a DXF that I import when converting a PDF into Gcode.

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Do not use the center line tool to cut your parts. The bit has a thickness to it. It may be 1/16" or 1/8" or what ever and that will make the joint not fit perfect. If you look at files other have done you'll see that we all do each half as a separate part cut out with the out-side tool. That makes the fit perfect.

Just my :02cents:

3. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

One of the other problems with using the center tool to cut both sides is you will have a clean one side and the other will be fuzzy because of bit direction. You can get the parts very close to one another. After adding the cut lines move them close together just as long as they don't touch each other. This will save space.

I like to arrange the parts to leave as much space between them but still fit on to a sheet. sometimes arranging the parts can take longer then it did to create them. You would be surprised at what you can fit onto a sheet after rotating and squeezing every little bit of space out of the foam.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG]