1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

COMPLETE NOOB. WHERE TO START?

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by WINGWALKER, Jun 1, 2014.

1. WINGWALKER

WINGWALKER New Member

I have only just today found out about the Phlat printer through RCGroups forum. Im interested in building my own, but im not sure where to start for the basic info. Can somebody point me to the "Start here if you know absolutely nothing" thread or site?

Thanks in advance
    Scott

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    The phlatprinter itself is out of production and the design has been open sourced at http://www.openbuilds.com
    I suggest you visit there and grab a Routy kit (or OX if you want bigger). There are howto videos there too, that are very good.

Then, visit the 'Sketchucam downloads' thread in this forum and read the install instructions, in particular visiting the getting started videos.

kram242 likes this.
  3. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Hi,
    I am also looking for the Phlatprinter. I followed your link to Openbuilds, and took a look at the Routy kit. It doesn't seem to resemble the Phlatprinter at all. Am I missing something?

Duncan

4. swarfer

The Phlatprinter is no longer made, but the plans are available on Openbuilds and you can have all the parts cut for you from those plans and then build your own.

The Routy is a flatbed machine is not a phlatprinter, though it can do the same job with some limits (like X is not infinite as on the Phlatprinter).

However, there is nothing to stop you using the Vslot rails, or other materials, to design and build your own version of the Phlatprinter.

5. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I see they have the plans for the original Phlatprinter available. Two questions:
    1. What on earth happened to the Phlatprinter - it looked like a really great concept, and the designers were all gung-ho moving to Ver2, and then Ver3. And then - nothing? What's the story?
    2. If I were to get the plans cut out locally (Australia) - is there a convenient place I can go to get all the electrics/mechanical bits? Or do I just have to grab the parts list and start shopping around?
    Regards,
    Duncan

6. swarfer

1. the time came to go open source with some new ideas, like Vslot rail. producing a product kit like that takes up a lot of time, and then supporting the endless user questions takes more time but this time without income :)
    2. I don't know where to find the stuff in Oz. I only just recently found a place that stocks stepper motors here in South Africa. Very pricy though, thank goodness I have a collection of motors from old pritners. So, yeah, just go shopping with a list.