1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

control horns

Discussion in 'Functional Aircraft Accessories' started by swim93, Mar 25, 2010.

1. swim93

swim93 New Member

i am very new to google skechup and the forum so i dont really know if this will even come close to working but maybe you cool cats can help me out a lil :)
    below is a skp file for a whole bunch of control horns all on one sheet of 12"x6"x1/16" of any kind of wood
    i would use birch ply
    i have not downloaded any plugin for a multipass so i dont have that but anything you can see to improve my file would be awesome
    im just learning so i would like to see what i did wrong :)
    thanks guys
    ~alex

2. swim93

swim93 New Member

haha i forgot to add it to the previous post lol :? :roll: :lol:

Attached files control horns.skp (136.7 KB)Â

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Alex - I don't mean to sound short with you, but it's very late for me and I often become in-gracious when I'm tired. You've got a good start, but I see a few issues that experience would have shown to you in a heartbeat.

1) You've left 3/16" between the parts, which means if you use the standard 1/8" diameter cutter, there won't be ANY supporting web remaining between the parts at all, because part of the opposing cutter paths will actually overlap. Even if you used a 1/16" cutter, the remaining 1/16" will not support the material well enough to get a clean cut. So the parts are going to be dropping down into the slots of the PP and getting caught, despite the fact you left a tab on each part. You should probably separate the rows vertically by at least 1/4", then delete the last control horn from each row and separate them horizontally by at least 1/4", also. I hate to waste material too, but if a piece drops out and hangs up the material on the bed, the entire sheet will be ruined, and you'll get no parts at all.

2) The area of the parts that will get snagged in the PP are the vertical cuts, so if you can, you really want to put the tabs there - and tabs will easily fit on the vertical ends of these parts.
    That's because the material is sliding back-and-forth (left-and-right) as it cuts, but it doesn't move up-and-down at all. I'd put another tab on the horizontal end of the parts and leave the diagonal section pristine, just to be sure the parts didn't drop.

3) "V" tabs are quicker to cut than "T" tabs. After you've selected the "Tab" tool, typing "T" or "V" (no quotes) will change the tab type. You'd have to delete each "T" tab and replace it with a "V" tab.

4) You haven't applied the pz Safe Area Tool to the file, to the PhlatScript won't know what to generate the g-code for. After doing so, you should decide how you're going to index or hold the plywood material in your PP, then place the sketched piece of wood exactly in the correct place, so your cut-path starts on your plywood. In other words, if you were going to make a "picture-frame" that holds the wood 3" up and 3" in from the corner of a foam carrier, then your sketched piece would be indexed at X=3, Y=3 THEN tell it to generate the PhlatCode file.
    Get it?

Like I said, it's really late for me. Maybe tomorrow I can edit the skp file in Sketchup, but maybe ;) somebody ;) else ;) here will do it sooner than I can get to it. I ;) certainly ;) wouldn't ;) be ;) offended.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

That is more in line with Dennis' suggestions. I didn't change the material size. I left it 12"x6"
    I also made two holes for the link. Might as well. Why do it by hand, right. :D Attached files control horns.skp (268.3 KB)Â

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yes Yoram, that is what I was talking about! You may need to separate the rows vertically a little more yet, as the cutter paths will still overlap from the lower corners of each part to the upper corner of the part below it. Good job. :)

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great job guys, thank you for all this help
    Mark

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Alex, multipass is already in the phlatscript. You just need to check the box in the parameters menu. -Kwok

8. swim93

swim93 New Member

wow thank you guys
    i need to learn more but one of the main reasons i posted these was to get a lil bit of constructive criticism :D
    "ask and you shall receive" is what i heard :)
    thank you guys and i hope these come in handy for others as well
    i dont know about anyone else but i cant stand cutting out control horns by hand
    and i have no more need to if my dad bought a phlatprinter :) :) :) :) :) :)
    i hope to get realy good at sketch up so that way i can be better at something than my dad is :D
    well thank you all and ill be back to post and reply

9. MartinT

MartinT Member

Nice trick with the V tabs, didn't know about these! :ugeek:

If you're going to cut these out of ply, I'd for sure use the multicut path!

Martin

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:lol:
    Alex that made me crack up :) I have been trying that my whole life, but its like trying to out do your future self, it never seems to happen :D
    Mark