1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Controller, stepper, software? HELP!

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by 7up, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Seems like a read a thread about this problem but I can't locate it again. Although I have had my Phlatprinter for a long time, due to health problems I am just now getting the chance to set it up and I have got troubles.

I have the stock EZ-CNC setup and the only mod was the addition of the ZBNs.

So I followed the instruction videos to the letter and here is where I'm at...

Axis X and Z work perfect, of course, but when I jog the Y axis it only makes a loud noise unless I hold the shift key to get it moving, then it travels fine but 50% of the time it moves in the correct direction and 50% of the time it runs in the wrong direction..??

- First I checked all connections then I replaced the wiring - no help
    - Replaced Y axis stepper motor with MPJA stepper - no help
    - Replaced controller chip with high temp replacement from Digi-Key - no help
    - Tried velocity settings from 1 to 40 - no help
    - Tried vRef setting thru entire range - no help

I suspect the controller board but would appreciate some feedback or suggestions from you guys, especially if you have dealt with this problem before.

2. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'd try lowering the 'acceleration' rate. I had what you described enough times to go to that setting first thing.

3. 7up

Hey thanks tbird. I tried your suggestion just now but still no luck. I went from 20 to 1 one step at a time but the results are the same. Still have to hold the shift key to get it started then it may not travel in the correct direction..??

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Y axis problems are the most commonly reported issues with the MK1. It takes a lot of messin with sometimes to get it working right.

The MPJA steppers should give you 38 to 42 ipm assuming nothing is binding.

Each situtation is different. But for starters, you should probably remove the allthread and make sure the gantry moves freely along the entire range of movement.

The allthread needs to line up as close to centered with the stepper as possible. Most problems stem from misalignment with the stepper. The rubber hose that connects the two together will take out some alignment issues if not too exessive.

With the allthread uncoupled, make sure the stepper moves without binding and missing steps under no load conditions.

With the gantry at the farthest point from the stepper where the binding is least, see if you can run the stepper without it binding up. If it runs freely at the extreme end and starts missing steps as it gets closer to the stepper, you probably have misalignment causing the binding. You will need to resolve this one way or another. Move the stepper or change the rubber hose are best two choices.

Go back to the original installation video and setup the steps and velocity to the recommended starting points and fine tune from there.

I would do this with the allthread disconnected just to be sure that the stepper is functioning properly before I put a load on it.

If you can't get the stepper moving properly under no load conditions, then you can start looking towards the controller for problems. The MPJA stepper can take a higher Vref value than the stock steppers. I believe I have my Z axis set at around 3.5 volts.

Are the wires from the controller to the stepper large enough to carry the current? Are they attached to the controller tightly? Are the connections to the terminal block connecting the stepper to the controller good. Loose connections will cause problems.

Hope this helps. It doesn't take much to cause problems. It just becomes a matter of elimination.

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I remember when I was trying to use a laptop I had tha similiar problem.

Whats your computer specs?

6. 7up

Thanks Flash, I'll try your suggestions.

3DMON, I am using a 2.8ghz Intel based desktop machine with 2 gig ram running WinXP Pro.

7. 3DMON

Sounds like it's probably something Flash suggested then.
    Keep us posted.
    Hope you get it fixed.

8. 7up

OK, this morning I disconnected the allthread and the gantry travels easy along the entire printer.

With the allthread loose the stepper now travels in opposite directions when I toggle between the up and down arrow keys but I had to set the velocity to 39 to get it to do that, it just won't work any lower.

Also the Y stepper will not start turning unless I hold down SHIFT? This time I tried adjusting the acceleration one step at a time from 0-40 then from 40-100 ten steps at time (40-50-60 etc.).

Right now I have no allthred hooked to the Y stepper motor with velocity set to 39 and acceleration at 20 and the stepper moves in both directions as long as I hold SHIFT to get it started moving.

Any ideas?

Oh yea, I also re-checked the wiring connections. I don't have a terminal block in line with the Y stepper, the wires on these MPJA steppers were long enough to reach the controller board.

Any and all help appreciated.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hi 7up, Glad to see you are back on the project!
    Lets try a few things here
    Try setting your Vel to 20 and your Accel to 10 just see if you can jog you Y axis without holding shift.
    Are you able to jog the other axis without holding shift?
    If you hit tab while on the main run screen to bring up the jog shuttle, what is your Slow Jog Rate percent?
    One thing to try is to disconnect the X stepper (power off) and hook the Y in its place. Put the X in place of the Y and see how the machine reacts to see what type of results you get from jogging with the Y and X swapped. This will tell us a lot about whats going on.
    We'll get through this :)
    Mark

10. 7up

Thanks Mark. In the process of trying your suggestion of swapping the steppers at the board I discovered that the screws in the terminal blocks on the controller board were tightening but they were not putting any pressure on the stepper motor wires, even with the wires doubled over and when I tried to back the screws out they would turn but they would not back out. They're stripped I guess. I had 1 screw on Z, 2 screws on Y, and 1 screw on X in this condition.

To remedy this I removed all the stepper motor wires and soldered them straight to the underside of the controller board. Now Y and Z work perfect but X just makes a ratcheting sound like it is slipping in the pulley, it will not move. I have checked all the obvious problems and replaced the chip but no luck. It is non slipping, no binding, tried the vref, it just stays in one spot and makes a ratching sound..??

I'm gonna hook up another stepper to X today see if that is the problem before I start hacking away.

The stock stepper that I replaced on the Y axis is good, should I use it on the X or would I benefit from putting a MPJA stepper on there?

11. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

What's your speed setting on the x, 7up? I had this slipping too and I lowered the I/min in Mach3 and it was OK.

12. 7up

Right now it is set back to 20 but I tried it from 20 to 5 one step at a time. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

13. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The X axis has almost no load effect on the stepper. Since it used to work before you soldered the wires directly to it, I suspect you need to look there first.

I would be looking for a new controller board about now. Stripped threads in the terminal blocks are not a good sign.

By soldering to the board you could have a bad solder joint, a solder bridge across two or more terminals or even a bad chip. Loose connections will blow chips.

Make sure the set screw in the pulley for the X axis is tight. You can try hooking up your stock CNC stepper to see if it cures the problem, but I doubt that the stepper is the problem.

14. kram242

I agree with Flash here.
    Please let us know the results
    Mark

15. 7up

Thanks for the help, it was a bad chip but before I figured this out I ran across this controller that I placed a bid on but didn't expect to win... but I did. :D

It is a NIB 3 amp, 3 axis controller that can be upgraded to a 4 axis, it has a spindle control relay already on-board, uses a parallel connection interface, has a DB 15 connector for joystick control, does 1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 steps, is Mach3 compatible, has same power specs a the EZ-CNC controller and comes with a 1 year warranty. Best of all I got it for $79.00 bucks. :mrgreen:

Here is a link to their website. They ship from Sacramento , CA. and I think the regular price is $95 plus shipping but still a good deal at that price considering the features. I'll post more info next week when it arrives.

http://www.lightobject.com/3-Axis-TB843 ... -P274.aspx Attached files [​IMG]

16. 3DMON

Glad you got things figured out.
    That board sounds promising. Keep us posted on it.

17. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

7up, I want to tell you. I never stripped the screws in one of those connectors. Not once and you have several. You don't need to tighten the screws that much. It has to be tight, but that's it. Just tight. When you gently tighten the screw and feel like it hit bottom give it a tiny bit more torque and pull on the wire, but gently, don't yank it. Should be plenty enough.

BTW, where did you bid on it? I couldn't find a new listing on ebay.

18. 7up

19. kram242

That board looks promising! thanks for the link
    Glad to hear that you have solved the problem
    Mark

20. 7up

Well the controller board works fine, I tested everything except the onboard spindle relay, that will come later.

It performed as good as the stock controller and only took very little tweaking to achieve smooth operation.

Pros
    - all connections, once tightened down, are modular, they all unplug. A 4 wire terminel plug for each stepper and 2 wire plug for power
    - expansion connector for adding an additional axis
    - huge heat sink withcooling fan (included) with onboard connector for fan
    - gameport style connector for joystick control

Cons

- vref is hardwired, in order to change the vref you have to replace a power resister which involves soldering, this could be elemanated by replacing it with a proper variable resister
    - controller chips are hard wired not in a socket
    - Does not work with stock power supply, I used a 24v 13A desktop supply (overkill) the board is rated for 12-24v
    - physical size is about 1-1/2 times larger than the stock board (no biggie)
    - online PDF manual which is useless as well as online help forums, also useless

All in all it is an OK controller but I would not recommend it unless you are familiar with electronic circuits and comfortable with soldering. I think I'll save it for tinkering with some other cnc projects

Due to the fact that I couldn't adjust the vref "on the fly" my steppers did get pretty hot after about 20 minutes of run time so that was the extent of my testing. I am using the Vexta steppers on X and Y axis, the board stayed warm but not hot.

I think I'll stick to the stock controller until the **PHLATBOARD** is available. BTW the new high temp controller chips from Digi-Key seem to be working great, no troubles.

Catch me later,
    -Buk

21. Klondar

Klondar Member

This is the board I got for mine back in May and I have been running great ever since. I did have a bit of trouble getting it set up with Mach, (user error) and have since become quite happy with EMC. I use the stock steppers and don't worry about the vref. Where it is set Stock works quite well. I wired my Dremal through the onbord relay so it come on at the start of the job and off at the end, It's nice that I cna be in another room and know when the job is done. Then I make sure to turn the PS off until I am ready for my next cut. (I use the same 24v 13a supply) Doing this I was able to spend all day Saturday cutting to get ready for a show with out a problem. I think I cut 25-30 sheets with little down time between. It would be nice if the Vrefs were adjustable and if it had an idle current feature, but for what i do this board has been solid.

-Glen

22. 7up

Klondar, glad to here it is working out for you. As I said it did perform as well as my stock board but I really didn't run it thru its paces to see the top performance it is capable of.

EMC2 huh? I have been meaning to give that a try. If it works well with this board would you mind sharing your settings o maybe some tips for someone new to EMC2?

23. Klondar

Klondar Member

I followed the steps in the EMC thread as a start, But because I did a belt mod for my Y axis and used 3/8 x 12 acme for my z the setting needed a bit of tweaking for calibration. But When I get home I can post what I have.

It took a bit of getting use to, but I love it's simplistic no nonsense look and feel. The only thing I still need to do with it is get it connected to my network so I can manage my cut files easier.

-Glen