1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Convert DXF and DWG to Sketchup

Discussion in 'DXF's and DWG's' started by kram242, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Well its really not a conversion so much as if you have the right version of Sketchup.
    Sketchup 6 and 7 allow you to import dxf and dwg files to work on in Sketchup.
    The newer versions of Sketchup do not.

You can get version 7 here and bring in all the DXF's and DWG's you like :)
    http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=440&start=0

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I have this installed with sketchup version 7.1. It works because, that's what I have been importing all my dxf files with.

I will archive it here (windows version):

Or get it from goggle: http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... wer=161784 Attached files AllowDWGImportInSketchUp7.zip (137.2 KB)Â

3. kram242

Where did you get this Kwok? Is this the program they say to use with 7.1 and that it will no longer work for new versions of Sketchup? Or is this a plugin you found that has nothing to do with the google team?
    Mark

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, yes it's that 1st program thing you mentioned. It's put out by google to reactivate the dxf import feature in version 7.1. Even thought google calls it a plugin, well it's not what we call a plugin. I would call it an update. It's from that link, I posted above. Mac version is there, also. Gasmasher, found it a while back, when we all found out dxf wasn't going to be supported. I guess it's just to tie the angry users over until the next major release, since they just abruptly removed the dxf support.

-Kwok

5. kram242

That what I was thinking it was Kwok
    Thank you for clearing this up :)
    Mark

6. beanie

beanie New Member

I read somewhere that this plug-in fix for the ability to import DXF files into the newer versions of Sketchup is only temporary. Is that true? Are you guys still able to use this function over a month out from the last post?
    I'm trying to decide if I should install this plugin or uninstall everything and re-install an older version. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    -beanie

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Sketchup saids it won't be supported in the next release, so there's not much point in having it expire. I did have some strange occurrences where I couldn't install it from a update that I had save previously on my computer. So who knows, maybe the installer itself is time limited? I currently use the latest version of 7.0. That's because I think there are some issues with v7.1 in displaying the inside and outside cut colors, but not conclusive. And on top of that, this dxf thing. And 7.0 is not that far back. You can find all the sketchup versions at file hippo. This is the version, I am using: http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_sketchup/5310/ You can find other versions on the right side.

-Kwok

8. beanie

beanie New Member

thanks kwok. i looked at that site, but could only find windows versions. know of any place for older mac versions of sketchup?
    -beanie

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Ooh.... you lucked out. I searched everywhere for it. Was just about to give up. So I think, this is the only place on the entire internet, you can still get it. :p Enjoy: Google SketchUp 7.0.10248
    http://mac.brothersoft.com/google-sketchup.html

-Kwok

10. beanie

beanie New Member

thanks a ton Kwok!!
    -beanie

11. dupko

dupko New Member

THANKS KWOK! :fugly:

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    [​IMG]

12. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

The Pro version of SketchUp imports and exports DWG and DXF. I think this is why it disappeared from the free version.