1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Crash's PhlatBOT

Discussion in 'PhlatBOT Build Logs' started by Crash, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Okay, this is NOT a build log, but I thought I might create a spot to show off MY PhlatBOT and share whatever I can that turns out to be cool, or maybe even a bit informative.

Below are some pics of the machine.

Please note that my machine will be mobile, in that I intend to take it with me to HAM club meetings, events (like SEFF), and maybe even next time I take one of those two week vacations in MI to see my family. Also, in the winter when it's a tad cold in the workshop, I'd like to more easily move this machine from the shop to the dining table so I can play with it and be in the same room as the family. :D

That being the case, I wanted to be able to grab ONE thing in addition to the laptop. My solution was to cut out a plate of MDF and affix everything to that. I also needed to be certain that no scratches would become of the dining table, lest the little wife poison me or kill me in my sleep.

The MDF is 3/4" thick and cut to a size just large enough to capture the footprint of the PhlatBOT. Currently I am using some heavy-duty zip ties to hold the machine in place on the board, but I will use some hardware I will obtain with the next trip to Lowes. On the BOTTOM of the board, I have some of those little rubber feet (I used 8 - two four-packs I got at Lowes for $1.95/pack) to keep the thing from scratching any surface I put it on. It also keeps the machine from sliding around and the ones I used are 7/8" tall, so the zip ties have enough clearance to keep from scratching everything.

The power supply is mounted in the preferred location, but is actually stuck down with two-sided adhesive tape (carpet tape that I use on my big CNC to help hold parts in place). I have zip ties on it, but it's more of a safety measure in case the tape comes loose.

If you look at the back of the machine, you will see that I have used some wire-keepers screwed down to the board to take any stresses away from the power cable's connection to the power supply.

All I really need to do now is to fab up something to hold the spool of filament in place. I have some ideas, but I'll play with that later. :) Now I'm off to extrude some more plastic!

Oh, one more thing: I am thinking of constructing an ATA-type case for this (you know, the kind that you might ship something important on an airplane), but with clear windows on three sides. This would facilitate taking the machine with me to events, but keeping out the wind, or even little fingers that might try to touch. :doubleup: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That looks fantastic Mike! :doubleup: I love the idea of the case as well. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Great job bro
    Mark and Trish