1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Creating G-code from an imported DXF file?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Patrick Rodriguez, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Patrick Rodriguez

Patrick Rodriguez New Member

New user to SketchUp and SketchUCAM, I have a CNC router and I am trying to cut some parts out of some thin aluminum plate stock (1/8"). The parts were drawn up in SolidWorks and have been saved as DXF files. I am able to import the files into Sketchup and locate them accordingly; however, the DXF imports as a zero-layer object (this makes sense for a DXF) and I am unable to make it into a component to create tool paths and ultimately create g-code to send to my CNC router.

Has anyone tried importing DXF files to create subtractive G code?

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hiya
    I was going to try and explain the process then decided a video would be quicker (-:

Notes:
    1. SketchUcam cannot handle Sketchup 'components'.
    2. Groups can be used to set cut order, but only after cutlines have been added.
    3. Read the help!
    and watch this too:

3. Rickmcolorado

Rickmcolorado New Member

Which plug-in are you using and does it work only in the Pro version?

4. swarfer

Hi @Rickmcolorado , the plugin is 'SketchUcam'
    it is free
    it works with Sketchup 7, Sketchup 8, Sketchup Make 2013 through Sketchup Make 2016
    it works with both Sketchup free and Pro.
    download it from here

5. Rickmcolorado

Rickmcolorado New Member

I have Sketucam installed. How do I import a DXF file into it? Video showing how to do it goes so fast I can't see what is being done.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. swarfer

If you pay for Sketchup Pro, it will have an import option for DXF files....
    If you use the free version like I do, then you need a DXF import plugin....
    Get FreeDXF importer plugin from http://sketchucation.com/plugin/838-freedfx

You can pause the video to give yourself time to read the screen.....

7. travis hamilton

travis hamilton New Member

I am having a simular prob i am also new to this i imported a dxf file and i cannot generate gcode i have tryed a few things but can still not get it to work i qatched the video above and did all that stuff it still won't work i read somewhere that sometimes there are no "faces" when ig is imported would the stop me from making gcode?

8. swarfer

Faces are required. If you follow the instructions in the video about importing DXF you will see it mentioned that the Phlatten tool will create faces, which we need, but first you need to explode all groups.

Also note that when the outside and inside cuts are added, and white strip is added between the object to be cut and the cutline. That white strip is also a face and MUST exist in order for Gcode to be generated.

PS: here are some punctuation marks you can use in your next paragraph.
    ....,,,,, !??
    Those will make it much easier to understand your question (-:

9. travis hamilton

I still have been trying to make this work I did explode the file and phlattened it here is the file i am working on have a look and see if you can find anything wrong with it. thanks!!!

Attached Files:

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

The file you've posted is not exploded, it's still a group. I exploded it, selected all of it and then flattened it and it created a face with no problem.

11. travis hamilton

Ok i will try it again my sketchup trial just ran out so it has down graded to the maker version i wonder if there is something with the program itself. It was pausing saying sketchup not responding. I'll have another cursing setion with it later lol

12. travis hamilton

Ok i tryed it again did the same thing. I explode it then phlatten it turns blue inside i use the outside cut tool it makes red tool path all is good then program says not responding then it come up and tool path is yellow and won't do anything. This happens every time any ideas?

13. swarfer

There are over 1300 segments in the line, it takes a while to process all of them to add the offset cutline.
    That is why it says not responding.
    My reasonably fast computer takes about 4 seconds to compute the offsets, your computer must be slower.

Your moose has a complicated outline with narrow gaps.
    You have selected a 1/8" bit but the antlers have a gap that is less than 1/16", so the 1/8" bit will not fit between that part.
    This causes the cutline to overlap, which causes the creation of the face between the object outline and the cutline to fail.
    A few messages ago I mentioned that the extra face is critical to the generation of the Gcode.
    Also, outside/inside Cutlines cannot overlap.

This is what you are getting:
    moosewalking.png
    Now, I changed to a 1/32" bit size and got this which will generate good Gcode.... as you can see, there is a face between the original shape and the cutline, which is needed for generating the Gcode. (that extra face is not blue and looks white in (my) Sketchup but in the image below it is not white but also not blue. While the actual color does not matter, the existence DOES MATTER)
    upload_2017-4-12_9-14-55.png

I have attached the working version of the file.
    Please watch this:

Attached Files:

14. travis hamilton

Ok i will try the bit diameter i just tryed a Texas star and same problem thanks for the help i hope this gets easyer lol

15. swarfer

The more you know, the easier everything is.
    read the manual, knowledge is power !