1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Cut Path LEDs

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by meistertek, Jan 17, 2009.

1. meistertek

meistertek Member

I was inspired by some the lid light mods posted and got to thinking about some old LED light bars I had left over from a computer case mod after Rjarois mentioned pimping out our PhlatPrinters in another mod thread. The two LED light bars are from the Logisys Computer Meteor Light Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800888052

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

meistertek, Too much! that is tops. Great job

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Oooooo! That looks Cool! No, Hot! Well, it looks good! :cool:

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

meistertek, that was me that mentioned "pimp my rig" man you stole my idea for my red phlatprinter...lols, man i was gonna do the red led's exactly....if i do now it will look as if i copyed ya, lol...it looks just like i figured it to, good job..... hmmm, wonder what color led would look right with my red phlatprinter now............randy.

5. meistertek

meistertek Member

I was going for the Paris Hilton "That's Hot." look! :lol:

6. meistertek

meistertek Member

I knew I stole the idea from somebody! ;) Updated the cred in the first post. Can't wait to see what color you pick for your PhlatPimpin lights!

7. meistertek

meistertek Member

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hey - Look what I found! [​IMG]
    They run on 12V (that's a 3S LiPo) and the description says they can easily be shortened in 3-LED intervals. Maybe if you ran 2 strips in parallel, they would run directly from the controller-board power supply (27V), or you might need to add a 470-ohm resistor to each side to dump the extra 3 volts. Attached files [​IMG]

9. meistertek

meistertek Member

Hey Dorsal these LEDs you found are totally sweet and the price is really good too! It looks like you may be using the LED calculator at: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz I wonder if the light strip comes with resistors in it already, and what value are they?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Since the light strip can be cut every 3 LEDs, and LEDs are usually rated at 3V, I figure they have a 150 or 180 ohm, 1/4W resistor on the circuit board for every 3 lights. Zoom in on the photo in the link and you can see a component marked "R10" near each set of 3 LEDs.
    And yes, I think that Series-Parallel calculator at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is great! :geek:

btw, they have other colors, I just like blue. :)

11. meistertek

meistertek Member

It does look like there is only one resistor per every three LEDs. These LEDs look like they work really well in rc airplanes too, from viewing the video that is available in one of the comments on the Hobby City website. Maybe when one of us can get a strip of these we could measure the resistor value and we could then calculate the exact setup needed to run 24vdc which would be perfect for cut path lighting!