1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Divinity II - AP flying wing

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by kram242, Nov 2, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here is a cool flying wing that has some really neat features in that its 6 layers of 1/4" foam thick to create a symmetrical airfoil that has a cool look to it when complete.
    This plane has a 48" wingspan that was designed for a first person point of view AP platform.
    The plane was designed by ApachePilot on rcgroups. He posted the plans so I converted them to Sketchup and worked the code :) I also added a few features that will help with assembly as the plans were not a perfect fit. Also added lightening holes and a battery and esc compartment as well.

Maiden flight video of the Divinity from ApachePilot

Here is a link for the rcgroups build where a few of the guys there are building this plane.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048425

This plane will require 3 sheets of 22x42" foam

Enjoy
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    UPDATE new version thanks to Evil-Tunes tips. This is the version after the live build fix.
    Works great now! 11/12/2009

________________________________________________________________________________________

Short test cut video

Also check out this crazy video of a flying wing with an AP platform.. This guy is nuts.
    The video starts slow but some of things he does later are insane :D
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] DivinityII-Sheet1.cnc (31.8 KB)Â class="gc-files">DivinityII-Sheet2.cnc (29.9 KB)Â DivinityII-Sheet3.cnc (58 KB)Â [​IMG] DivinityII.skp (2.2 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Wow! Is he crazy or what! :ugeek: Looks like a nice plane to build, but I don't think I'll be trying any of the stuff he did. :mrgreen:

3. kram242

Hes a mad man! I would never try that either but it's really cool to watch him fly through that gate and down the walk path. It reminds me of my dreams when I am flying :)
    Mark

4. HSV_Freak

HSV_Freak Member

Nice Plane and nice fly.
    Great Job Mark.

5. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

well i have always been the kind of guy that speaks my mind...i don't want fellas I'm a killjoy, or downer.....first of all this model looks great.... but the way it is being used, will eventually give the rc hobby a big black eye...if not two of em....i understand this is only my opinion, but this flying around a big city is very foolish, if not down rite fool hearty, and not being very responsible....anyone knows that has been in this hobby that stuff can happen....have one of them cheap servos strip....yea go thru a car windshield, slam a kid in the head..I'm not no preacher, but this kind of rc activity is a very selfish act to put people in jeopardy for their entertainment...i love this hobby, and i am very glad this is not mainstream rc activity.... thank god......when i see this kind of thing it makes me feel comfort that i don't have children, and I'm older, as not to have to witness this kind of thing very long...peace, randy.

6. Flashsolutions

Interesting that you mention the flying dreams. I have had those dreams on occasion but not as often any more. I think I am sleeping sounder now and dream less in general, it could be the new thermal pane windows keep out the noise better so I don't wake up from the dreams like I once did :lol:

It is interesting to see what the dreams mean:

http://www.dreammoods.com/cgibin/flyingdreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=flyingintro

7. Flashsolutions

Lighten up Randy, that video was not taken from this plane anyway. Read the whole thread. My guess is that there was a whole lot of video editing behind this video.

8. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

flash, i was commenting on the fpv video....to me it dont matter were it came from...that and only that was my issue. i went and reviewed the wing post....like i said, the model looks great. randy.

9. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Interesting.....and you get a foil. No CF is used?

10. kram242

Your right Randy its not a good idea for sure! Its the FPV that I think is really cool that's the part that reminds me of my dreams. Thanks for the link Flash, my flying dreams usually mean I have one foot hanging off the bed while I'm sleeping :D

Ok the Divinity II is ready to go!! Got it down to 3 Sheets instead of 4 :)
    Sorry about the false start with the earlier file. If you downloaded the earlier version just save this one right over it.

The new final version is in the first post of this thread

I went over to Glens(Evil-Tunes) barber shop today to get my hairs cut and I brought him one of these to try out, I hope he likes it. I have added a few more things to the file since then (servo holds, wire runs for servos and tube slots for push-rods) So I think its ready to share. Its cutting really well just be sure that you start the bit close to touching the foam and close to the right hand side as this design fills up the entire sheet of fan fold. It takes a bout 10 min to cut at 200 ipm. It looks like it will be a lot of fun to fly.'
    Any suggestions on how to glue the stacked parts together would be great.
    Thanks
    Mark

11. Flashsolutions

3M 77 Spray adhesive works well. Spray each side and let stand for about 20 or 30 seconds before you put them together. Make sure they are where you want cause once they touch it is hard to get them apart.

You can spray just one side. Probably don't want the glue on the exposed areas....

[quote="kram242"
    Any suggestions on how to glue the stacked parts together would be great.
    Thanks
    Mark

12. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very nice job there on the cutting & positioning of parts and making it lite !!
    You know what they say, "parts are parts"....

13. kram242

Flash I think your right about this, I was thinking about contact cement but the 3M spray should do the trick. I could always use a piece of plywood with a lot of weight sitting on top of it to really press it together.
    I was talking with Evil-Tunes tonight and I am thinking that we may not even need a carbon spar. I am thinking once the layers are stuck together it will act like a laminated beam and be a super strong?
    Al Thanks brother, I hope that if you guys want to add or change this file you will and re-post. I only have so much time during this shop build to work on it so I am sure I could have made it better. So please if you find any errors or want to change or add to it please re-post your changes for everyone to enjoy.
    Thanks guys
    Mark

14. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I think I'm going to try UHU glue. It gives you some time to position before it sets up.

Cheers
    E-T

15. kram242

Cool ET let us know how it works. I have some of the 3M so I will try that way
    Instead of using carbon why do we try to sandwich some of this stuff between one of the layers viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1202&start=75#p12256 I think it would work great

Mark

16. Chuck

Chuck New Member

There are a number of kinds of UHU glue. Some of it is just "glue" and not exceptionally strong. The UHU POR glue in the Grenn and Yellow tube is a contact cement that is foam safe. Apply it to both parts and let it dry for 10-15 minutes then press together. This stuff works great for me but it is sometimes hard to find. The UHU glue sold by Michaels and some other hobby outlets is NOT the same as UHU POR. I like the idea of the 3m spray adhesive also but I imagined it would eat foam so did not try it. Thanks for the tip.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in INdiana...

17. kram242

Chuck,
    Thank you for the ideas and information here. The UHU POR sounds like the stuff to use.
    Glen is that the kind you have?
    Mark

18. Flashsolutions

Michaels, WalMart and other places sell Aileens Tacky Glue which is the same stuff hobby shops sell as canopy glue but twice as much for half the price.

It dries clear but goes on white like Elmers glue. But it takes a long time to dry, overnight at a minimum whereas 3M 77 is instant gratification. I sometimes follow up with a bead of tacky glue around the seams of the foam that is stuck on with the 3M brand glue.

Laminating the foam gives it strength. I doubt you would need carbon fiber but if you did decide to use it, I recommend the 4.5mm width of flat CF from Midwest Products. Using a 1/16" bit, route a groove at 92 to 95% depth so you have the 4.5mm clearance and the CF will fit into the groove nicely to give unflexable strength since the CF will not bend in that direction. If you were to use the round CF, you will find that it will bend even though not a lot and does not give the strength that the flat CF offers.

3/16" dowel rod is another less expensive but also less effective method of strengthening foam. I often run a groove down the edge of FFF and glue the dowel rod to the leading and trailing edge of wings. I use Gorilla 2x fast dry glue for this. Make sure you tape the dowel to the wing with blue masking tape while it drys. This keeps the goo from ooozing out in places where you don't want it.

19. Evil-Tunes

Yes I think it is the same as the Creative Stuff

This is what I have

[​IMG]
    Cheers
    E-T

20. kram242

Flash, these are great tips! thank you for sharing them.
    I did want to ask you about the blue masking tape you mentioned to keep the gorilla glue from oozing out. When you use this method can you leave it on until the glue drys? I am thinking that the glue will dry to it and it will be unremovable?
    Thanks again
    Mark

21. Flashsolutions

Yes, you should leave it on until the glue dries. If you take if off too early, you will get ooze from the glue that has not yet setup.

The tape comes off easily and is not a problem after the glue sets.

22. kram242

Cool thanks Flash this is one I have to try because I make a mess with that stuff when I try to use it. :D
    Mark

23. Evil-Tunes

I did a mock up today after I beveled the edges of the 4 outer layers of the wing + lid with a easy Bevel 45 from Lightflite.com Very handy tool.
    [​IMG]
    Here are some pictures of the mock up. I think this will help with the sanding of the airfoil. My father did this with the Eagle wing and worked out Great. :mrgreen: Next is to pull the plastic off and glue it all together.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. kram242

Looking GREAT Glen :!:
    You have to bring this by as soon as you get it together!
    I would like to film the maiden. Do you think you will be flying it this week end?
    Mark

25. Evil-Tunes

I wish I could get It done by the weekend I'll be happy if I get the foam glued up :eek: by then. :lol:

Cheers
    E- T