1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Easy CNC Board

Discussion in 'Easy CNC Driver Card' started by theothers, Nov 6, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

It has come to our attention that a batch of Easy CNC Driver boards included bad opto-isolators. If your board looks like the one below, you may need replacement chips. We have a batch of them heading our way and will take care of distributing them. Your symptoms may include bit drift or missing steps (especially along the Z).

This has been a mystery to all of us for some time and very frustrating. Thank you all for your patience and understanding throughout this and for all of your diligent efforts from everyone here trying to help solve this very hard to pinpoint problem.

If you are a Phlat Club member and have this board, please contact us at support@phlatforum.com. Attached files [​IMG]

2. theothers

Here is an update: Only boards with direction color black 4 pins opto-insolator type
    L0751 should be changed. If you board has these, please contact us.

Thank you,

Mark and Trish

3. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

The top pic is the wrong installation, bottom pic is proper install

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MartinT

MartinT Member

ok so I just collected all the boxes with the parts :D , and the EasyCNC optos are all black, like in the top pics above, but the left ones (of a pair) are named L0749 and the ones on the right are called PC817 by Sharp. (So none of the total of 6 are L0751's)
    So the million dollar question: am I good or not?

Best regards,
    Martin

5. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I think you are good. On the errant boards all 6 isolators were identical. Some had L0749 and some had L0751, but all were 815 on the 2nd line of numbers on the chip.

Jeff

6. theothers

I think you should be ok too MartinT. I believe the deciding factor here is the number on your chips. You would need replacements if your chips had the L0751 on it. So far, we've only had a few people need the new chips. I think there was a small timeframe that these chips were distributed somewhere around the time the MK II was first released. These chips are so small. It's amazing how much trouble they can cause. If you have any trouble, please let us know but I think you will be fine.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I just looked closely at the photo I posted long ago, of the spring clip I made to hold the heat-sinks onto the board (at http://tinyurl.com/yzxuy6k ) and my board has the old 6-pin opto-isolators, so I can't blame them for any of my goof-ups. Rats! :oops:

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to share with you guys a little tip from working on a board we received from a fellow Phlatclub member. It may help in future troubleshooting.
    This was new for me as I have never had the chance to work on one of the newer easycnc boards with the red leds. I am happy to say I am still using my spray paint covered original board from the original Phlatprinter :)
    The problem was the board would power for a sec and then go off. I started replacing chips that we had in stock to see if I could locate the problem chip. I started with the smaller chips (the white optos) because I thought if one of the driver chips was bad the other two should work fine.
    I found that was not the case with this board. It turned out that it was a driver chip of only the x axis once the new one was put in it worked great. BTW the new boards driver chips are in really in there! It took everything I had to get that puppy out of it's socket! On the older style boards the chips were actually a little loose fitting and you could/would have to actually push on them if one of the axis seemed a little weak. It would pop in and you would have a good running axis again. :)
    Hope this helps someone that runs into this same issue.
    Mark and Trish