1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Epoxy Holder

Discussion in 'Functional Aircraft Accessories' started by rcav8r, Feb 15, 2009.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I made one of these years ago out of wood and it sure gets a ton of use. Later when I sent stuff away to get laser cut, I had a bunch cut out and sold at swap meets and out at the field.
    Figured why not make one out of FFF.

It's great for when there is about 3/4 or less in the bottles. I put the bottles in the stand a little while before I need them. Then when it's time, the epoxy is ready to use with no waiting, and it makes getting equal amounts easier.

It's up to you if you want to store the epoxy upside down in the holder, but I don't trust those little caps. With my luck I'll have a puddle of epoxy.

Files are:
    EpoxyHolder.skp - Plain SketchUp
    EpoxyHolder_CNC.skp - SketchUp w/ PhlatScript
    EpoxyHolder.cnc - CNC file ready to cut.

Note: not sure why the side don't exactly line up with the back plate. I'm sure it was something I did when converting to 1/4 foam from 1/16" ply, and didn't realize it until I assembled it. Attached files [​IMG] EpoxyHolder.zip (57.2 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good idea.
    I usually prop them upside down against something just to see them fall down. :roll:
    I agree though I wouldn't store them upside down.
    Thanks.

3. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

This sounds like a great idea. If you don't trust the little caps, why can't you put another little shelf just under the caps to make sure they can't move? Then, I think you would have a complete product. This looks really great, thanks for sharing it. Please, let us know if you are going to update to put a shelf under the lids, if not, we will try to work it out for you.

Nice one. Thanks.

Mark and Trish

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

That wouldn't work in my world. The temp in the shop swings to much. Now a holder that also dispensed mixing cups and sticks! That would be my style.

topic derail alert,

Anyone ever try those self mixing epoxy dispensers. They are a one shot deal but work great. That brick is still stuck to the wall after a year :eek:

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

(Continuing on the derail -) I went to a local Japanese Take-out to see if I could buy some of those small plastic "sauce" cups (aka mixing cups) from him. He said no, but he had 40 or 50 that were "too large" and he'd lost all the lids, so I could have them for free if I wanted. I even offered him a couple $$, but he wouldn't take any money.

SCORE!! :D

6. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

This was excellent! I noticed this holder a while ago and just got around to making it.

I did change the file a little bit. It now has space for 6 bottles as I usually have 12 min and 30 min epoxy going. I have a couple extra slots for other glues as well..

I put a little area under the bottles just in case a leak happens.

I made it out of ply (the "1/4" ply I get from Home Depot is about .225 in , so all the slots, tabs were resized to that.

The bit I use is 1/16" .

When my wife saw mine, she wanted one for her craft table as well....

Thanks for a great idea!
    John Attached files GlueHolder_JDB .0625 bit.cnc (35.5 KB)Â GlueHolder_JDB .0625 bit.skp (191.3 KB)Â

7. jjackson

jjackson New Member

I have a rack with three small glass jars (baby food bottles, the old style). The two epoxies stand upside down in the jars in case they leak. The third one holds plastic stir stix I use for mixing. The jars are tie wrapped to a stand so they won't move, but a jar can be swapped on on those occasions when the epoxy leaked. Has happened twice in 10 years.

John