1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Excited over cutting lite-ply

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dhc8guru, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Last night, I decided to cut a motor mount out of lite ply. It worked out great! Viola' insta-motor mount! No more dremel scroll saw for me! I used 20 ipm on a Ø.125, 3 flute end mill. In the future I will probably turn it down just a bit to reduce chatter.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Aint it just too cool to turn out instant wood parts like this.... :D

FWIW, I cut 1/8" and 1/16" aircraft ply with a 4 flute 1/16" end mill with the stock PP moto-tool at 55ipm. Multipath is set for 1/32" Cuts are baby butt smooth.
    If you go multipath, you can crank up the speed (I think I will try 75ipm next go around )and get really smooth cuts with no chatter

I also used the 1/16" bit from the PhlatBitKit. It works OK, but the 4 flute gives smoother cuts. I also have a 2 flute I will try some day. I got my 1/16" end mills from Enco.

3. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Just cut a dumbed-down version of an "easypod", a pod for a camera mount with pan servo for my FPV EasyStar. Cut out of 1/8" birch ply, 1/16" tile grout bit, 50 ipm multipass with 1/32" passes. Came out near perfect! I couldn't get the dogbones to work though, whenever i generated code with dogbones cncusb didn't show ANY toolpath. Bit came right back to zero (perfect!) on the 12" X 24" sheet of ply, fed lengthwise just like a sheet of FFF, no carrier or backing needed. The ever so small imperfections look like runout to me but I think it's from the stock cutting tool. Works fine for foam, though! :D

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the pod assembled.

- Jeff

4. rcav8r

I had a problem with the dogbone too, but 3DMON suggested making the bit size in the Phlatbone tool SLIGHTLY larger than the bit used. Worked like a charm. Check out the last few posts on the Phlatbone tool thread for details.

5. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Yea first i had that problem, cncusb said something about a tool radius. So I changed my bit size in the phlatbone setting from .0625 to .064. CNCusb no longer gives me an error, but rather no cutting path (no real code is generated). My machine is running great right now, if I could get the dogbones to work I bet it would do a good job of them.

- Jeff

6. rcav8r

Ahhh I see. I'm using MAch3. Did you try viewing the file with an external viewer, or at least in notepad. Won't solve the issue, but at least you would see if the script generated anything useful

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Add .010 and your dogbone problem should go away.

8. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Here's all the balsa and 3 mm birch ply I've been cutting. Turns out pretty good!

- Jeff

[attachment=2]IMG_1140[1].jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=1]IMG_1141[1].jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]IMG_1142[1].jpg[/attachment] Attached files .jpg][​IMG] .jpg][​IMG] .jpg][​IMG]

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:doubleup: Sweet Jeff!
    looks awesome brother!
    Mark and Trish

10. Kroko

Kroko Member

Can somebody send me this dogbone G-code that generates an error?
    I'll check and explain why there is an error message and if there is a bug in my software I'll fix it.

Regards
    Andrej

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Andrej,
    It's not a bug in your software. The problem is in the Phlatscript not generating the gcode properly. There is no error message.

12. rcav8r

Here's a pic showing good code ( left) and bad code (right). By making the tool, as defined in the phlatbone tool, slightly larger than the tool is defined in the Phlatscript all is well. Attached files [​IMG]