1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Extrusion quality

Discussion in 'General GB Talk' started by jovian, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jovian

jovian Member

I know a lot of you may have been shocked by the news that Mark and Trish are exploring the extruder style machines. And the first response is typically what about the quality? That style of printers quality is so poor. Well what was found is that they don't have to be if you don't want them to be and if you look at the June 23rd posting they have a couple videos that show this. In particular the partial print of the statue of liberty. It should also be kept in mind that this posting and videos are emphasizing speed not quality. These models were done on the ultimaker. Not sure about you guys but I can't even see the layers though I question there choice in color

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think the poor quality of the video is hiding those big layers.

3. jovian

jovian Member

Shoyld look at there flickr pics then
    Edit: sorry i guess it was a picassa site link i below

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here are some good quality pics I found of the UltiMaker. So far out there the Up and the UltiMaker are the best DIY 3d machines. We plan on being a part of this :doubleup: Its going to be super cool to walk up to this machine a put out some plastic models!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jovian

jovian Member

6. kram242

Nice!!!
    This one came out great. i am guessing like any other machine. If you slow it down and take your time with it it will turn out nice. Looks like they found the sweet spot on theirs.
    [​IMG]
    They boast on being the fastest FDM machine on the market but in the video that shows the fast printing the part comes out rough.
    I think we can, as a group achieve even better results in the extrusion.

7. 3DMON

That lady liberty took 5 hrs. :eek:

8. jovian

jovian Member

9. 3DMON

Wow Nick, nice write up. That really helps show the differences a lot. I didn't know about needing more projectors to get the bigger size. I always thought that one would have been good enough for a fairly big size.
    I was not able to find anywhere to add comments, but I was wondering about fumes from the extrusion method. I thought I read somewhere about when heating ABS there should be proper ventilation. The PLA wasn't critical.

I do see that the extrusion method isn't so bad now though.

10. kram242

Nice job on this article Nick! :doubleup: I really appreciated the side by side comparison approach. Helps us all to get a better insight on making the right choices as we venture into the world of 3D printing.
    Great job once again, this will be a huge help. :)
    Mark and Trish

11. jovian

jovian Member

I know what you mean about the number of projectors Shaun, I thought the same thing. until I tried making a little grub screw and i noticed that the hex slot for the allen wrench wasn't correctly shaped at all. It made me dig into the reason and I found the obvious :)

12. phoenix

phoenix New Member

I like the idea of going with an extruder for the simple reason that if you make the extruder head removable and make a router attachment this stops being just another 3D printer and becomes the Phlatprinter 4 with 3D fabing capabilities and with the sharpie attachment you now have 3 machines in one, a CNC mill, a plotter AND a 3d Fabricator.

13. jovian

jovian Member