1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

F-16 Pusher Need some HELP

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by tvcasualty, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

So today I put together this model...

I want to make it a pusher, but I don't know a thing about them!
    Where should the CoG be?
    What kind of motor? (I'd like to stick in a suppo of some sorts)
    What size prop?

Power Supply will be a 3S A123 pack, 2300mAh, 10.8V nominal.
    Estimated weight will be close to 36oz
    What say you?
    Thanks!

(the pp is warming up now :D) Attached files [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

The CG will be the same for a tractor, pusher, EDF, turbine or glider. You can use this calculator to figure it for you - just do the first calc with 5% margin, then repeat it with 15% margin and you'll know the range within which your CG will fall.
    http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

tvcasualty , Just wondering what these angle lines are and are this a way you are making a better curve style surface? I have tried but can not get this to work and I am not sure if it would be a benifet or not for a curved shape. Is this a plugin that you are using?
    note I only traced a few to give you an idea of what I am asking about.

Also I found this guy flying around in the picture and have to ask what is this UFO in the background? May be you just have a cool cursor :)

Really nice looking plane and I know that one took you some time to make, thank you for the sneak peek.
    BTW This would be a good one for me, because of all the planes I have every made, I have yet to EVER get a pusher to fly! :roll:
    Mark Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work!
    This would make for an awesome EDF also.
    As for the motor...The plane looks fairly large with a 42" WS. I would think the motor your gonna need will need to produce quite a bit of thrust. I would also try to go with a high Kv to get it moving fast. Just looking quickly at the suppos the 2814-08 might be good for it, but not sure if it will produce enough watts. You might need a longer can thats similiar to that.

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Oh yes the 2814-08, that's a very popular one, I'm using it's bigger brother in my F4U, it's an incredible motor, but that'd be a 12" pusher prop on this F16 :shock:
    As far as EDFs go, I'd have to spend much more then I want to get the desired performance, but they sure are cool!

From what I'm gathering pushers are pretty tricky so I think this one is going to be a summer/spring project for me, in the mean time I've got plenty of others to fly and work on, and I'm gonna need a lot of parts I don't have right now anyhow. If anyone wants to get a jump on this, speak up and I'll post the model.

Mark those lines are explained by the method in which I model...
    Basically just fold lines, or the edge of a surface after I unfold it, but before I print it out, they will all be deleted. Now I do leave some of these in, in certain circumstances...
    ie, the leading edge of a wing, or other sharp bends in which I want a ridge formed.

In this case especially , where I'm going to need a reverse bend most, if not all of those lines will have to go. Centerlines for reference might be an exception.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I will leave the lines on the thrust nozzle, that will form a circus stand of sorts and look a tad more scale... It's too bad I can't hit both sides on something like that to add more cut in details.

So I hope that answered your modeling question.

As far as that UFO, yeah it's just a cursor, I noticed it after I posted lol :]

6. kram242

You know I was thinking about that the other day and I thought why cant we plunge a hole through the foam after the last cut has been made. Then flip the foam end for end and line the bit up with that hole and start a backside cut? May work for double side cuts
    Mark

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I think that would be real tuff to do EveryThing would have to perfectly set hor and vert because everything would be backwards? How about another axis added to the top and back of the lid? Poss. Removable and small like the 12v motor you were talking about in the other thread. hmmmm like I need something else to think about in my head . It's getting hard to sleep NOW no no more ......lol

E-T

8. kram242

You could always use the flip along axis in SU once you have it worked up and then it might work? I like the idea of adding a new lid cutter though :)
    Mark

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

:idea: How about if we plunged 2 holes through - The first one at X=0.0, Y=22.0 (Min X, Max Y) and the other at X=42.0, Y=22.0 ? (Or any other Max X, Max Y number)
    Then, after flipping the sheet over, the first hole would be at X=0, Y=0 and the second hole would be at X=42, Y=0. Then you'd just HOME the printer, align the first hole on the sheet to the router, jog to max X
    and align that end of the sheet to the second hole. It might take a couple iterations to get the sheet straight, but everything would be aligned along the longest axis available.

10. kram242

I think that would do it! As a matter of fact we could write a macro in mach and add a button to the screenset that would allow you to do this. It would work much better if we had some kind of optical sensors to make sure everything was aligned before it began its cut, the macro would allow you to just insert the foam and it (the macro) would jog untill the sensor finds the hole and then it would continue with its cutting process.
    Mark

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Y'know, if you're gonna make a Macro anyway, why not put a hole in each corner? Then you could re-align to the first side if the need ever arose, also. 0-0, then 0-Max, then Max-Max, then Max-0, then back Home.
    just an idea.

12. kram242

True , good idea. The problem is I have no idea on how to make a macro:) I just know it can be done.
    Mark

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Me neither, but since you were thinkin' out loud . . . . ;)

14. kram242

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Well, I wrote a simple g-code file that pokes holes in the 4 corners of the PhlatTemplate, if anyone wants to use it, here it is.
    Maybe someone can teach us how to make it a macro. Attached files Alignment Holes Script.zip (438 B)Â

16. kram242

Cool Dorsal I will mess with it when I get a chance.
    Thanks
    Mark