1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

First Push-E Cat V5 Fuselage Cut

Discussion in 'Projects on your Phlatprinter 3' started by Darwin, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

Hey Guys:

My biggest motivation for getting a Phlatprinter has finally come to reality. Today, I successfully cut the front part of the Push-E Cat V5 fuselage.

Quick summary: The Push-E Cat is an EPP foam trainer with a pusher prop configuration. I used to kit them back between 1998 and 2000 and I'm trying to kit them again, revised for modern equipment.

Back in the day, I cut the fuselages out of block EPP on a band saw, split them in half on the band saw, and then used router template tooling and a plunge router to finish off the cavities and servo bay. Channels for the wiring were left up to the builder to cut, as were the slots in the tail for the tail group.

The new V5 changes the game a lot. First off, a set of flow-through cooling channels allows air to flow over the battery and now-enclosed speed control. All wiring channels are pre-machined. Since the V5 now features carbon fiber stiffeners in the tail boom, there are also clearances machined for those components as well.

Because of all that plus the face that I don't cut things on the band saw as well as I used to (if I ever did), the availability of the PP/// was just what the doctor ordered.

Now, admittedly, it's taken a bit of work to get things to where I'm happy, but Mark and Trish never gave up and I'm glad. The PP///is working well within parameters for what it is and I've finally been able to cut the most complicated part of the PEC V5.

So, without further ado, here are a couple of pics of my first PEC V5 fuselage, courtesy of the PP/// and Mark and Trish: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That came out nice. :good:

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hay I remember those.... Didn't you also kit a rather large foam trainer with a 2 piece wing?

Looking good.

4. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Looks great Darwin, can't wait to see more!

:doubleup:

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Oh yea, I remember the Pushy-E Cat. Nice flier.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow thats really good work, especially with EPP!
    Nice job Darwin, looking forward to see more of this one
    Mark and Trish

7. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Oh man, that looks like a plane for me!