1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Flying Santa

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

2. kram242

Flying Santa design is up :)

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark, ya looked as to have to much fun with that depron lols ...mark, trish good job, randy.

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Must hide this from my wife! It looks great.

5. kram242

Thanks guys :) Now the big question, does it fly?
    We will soon see
    Mark

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

How much would you quesstimate it weighs Mark? I didn't get to finish watching the show last night. Did you weigh it?

7. kram242

Its at 9.2 oz with no electronics in it :)
    I thought that was pretty light considering the size and all the parts involved, not to mention the quick build causing a ton of glue to be added :D
    Mark

8. kram242

Got some electronics installed :)
    But will it fly.. It was pouring yesterday so I did not have the chance to really try it out. I did get a quick toss in the rain but it was tail heavy so I am going to move the battery forward and try again.
    Mark Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Brother Pain

Brother Pain New Member

Did you move the elevator and rudder? From the picture it looks like you moved the servos and possibly changed to elevons behind the reindeer?

10. kram242

I did move them from the design mainly because I did not have servo extensions.
    It works out better because you need the weight to the front.
    I will test fly and if I can get it to work I will post the revised plans
    Mark

11. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Mark this looks to cool!! I can't wait to see it fly!! Santa hovering by the Christmas Tree :shock:

Chris

12. Lucky

Lucky New Member

It be kinda cool if you could put one Red led on the nose on one of those reindeer :D

13. kram242

That would bee too cool! I never thought about doing that one.
    Mark

14. MartinT

MartinT Member

Hi folks,
    I could not exactly call it a successful weekend, my first try of getting Santa airborne was last Sunday with an underpowered outrunner, so I could only fly straight and level, and landed straight ahead, as I felt that the craft was barely hanging in on there, but by the standards of the Wright brothers it surely must have counted! (as I flew it for at least over a hundred feet straight and level! :) )
    So off to the house to find a bigger motor, but by the time I had that installed it was already dark outside...Monday all day at work, so no time, Today Tuesday, with nice freezing weather and some sunshine I went out again with my 9 year old son who is holding the (iPhone)camera.

What can I say? The good: it flew (3 flights!) The bad: the all ended with CFIT (well UCFIT to be more specific).

The motor used was a Turnigy 1900kV outrunner, prop 8x3.8 which made a heck of a torque, but since the A/C was built HEAVY (when I first made it I had no intention to fly it, since I did the "original" Santasled (without Santa himself on it) that I found on the Phlatprinter DVD #III, before the Christmas show by Mark and Trish was aired, with an updated Santa)

The rudder works super for yawing it around to turn (hardly any roll induced) but the aileron part of the elevons was way way way sensitive (even with the 50% expo I had set)
    Pitch control was fine as well.
    The CG was about abeam 2/3 of the length of the belly of the aft Rendeer, which was achieved by putting a hefty 1800mAh 3 cel LiPo on top of the motor stick, extending as far forward as possible, (so it even almost touched the prop...)(I would have liked it to be a little more forward, but this was the best I settled for, as the thing was already so heavy, so I did not want to add any(more) ballast weight to it)

The second and third flight ended when the A/C rolled over suddenly, and I did not have the altitude to correct it in time...Surprisingly the damage in all the crashes was more or less only cosmetic (lost some rendeerparts, legs, antlers and such) but on flight#3 the prop broke (despite the prop saver :? ;-( ) and unfortunately no more spare props...(in fact I took this last one off of my SilverSurfer, so he is out of commission for the time as well...)

Anyway, it was great fun while it lasted! I'm thinking shall I rebuild it lighter, or make a 50% copy, or go on with the next project, or go on with the ongoing project...So much foam so little time... :lol:

Well ther'ya go, the footage of the first flight (the whole minute it lasted anyway ;) ) of today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrkKfuWsNtg

Seasons greetings!

Martin

15. kram242

That was great Martin! I am glad someone got the chance to try this one out. Thank you so much for sharing the details and video.
    As for my set up, I am going with a 10x4.7 prop with a 1000 mah pack on a blue wonder.
    I am finding that the more weight up front the better too. I have moved the servos forward as well. From the little flight (if you could call it that) I tried today I know it needs the rudder for sure :) Next move is to take some of the weight off the back as well.
    Thanks again that was a lot of fun to read and watch
    Here's a quick test flight I did on my lunch break today needs some work :)
    Hope it makes you laugh :D

Mark

16. MartinT

MartinT Member

That was funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Great editing and music too!

17. Brother Pain

Brother Pain New Member

Here's a picture of mine. My daughter assisted with painting. I almost hate to put it up in the air this weekend - but I will... :mrgreen:

Attached files [​IMG]

18. kram242

You guys did a great job BP!
    Just a suggestion from my test flights, you need to lighten that back as much as possible and get the weight as far as you can to the front.
    Good luck with the maiden hope that is goes great!
    Mark

19. Brother Pain

Brother Pain New Member

I never replied to this. Santa flew great as long as you didn't need to turn :mrgreen: ... He made it back with his sleigh, but unfortunately all of the rheindeer were lost in the crash... :)

Greg

20. PhillyNic

PhillyNic New Member

I now this is an old thread but want to build on. Any PDF or other plans

21. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

in the first post, just below the image is a link to the Sektchup file 'santa.skp' . that is a full rendering and CNC ready layout of the parts.