1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Foam disposal

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by Jnida63, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

How do you guys dispose of your foam?
    I've been trying to figure out a way to grind it up and spread it out in my attic for more insulation (I have blown in up there now).

2. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I hear Mark just leaves his up in a tree somewhere ;)

I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago and haven't come up with a solution yet. Good question.

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

4. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I don't! I keep finding uses for foam carriers and other parts of the foam that isn't cut, ie the ends turned and cut square make great templates for airbrushing.

The only stuff that gets thrown out is such tiny piece parts that they could only be used as pillow stuffing! :p

Of course, there's that lurking wife, always getting rid of my stuff she calls junk! :mrgreen:

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I seem to go thru barrels of foam. At least that what ends up in the trash cans.

I have to break it down with a razor knife and I keep some of the bigger chunks but by and large, most of it ends up filling 50 gallon trash containers every 2 to 3 weeks.

A grinder would sure be nice! And added attic insulation would certainly be a plus.

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

BLAHAHAHAhhaha! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Extra insulation...that's a great idea!
    There is plenty of room in the attic to store this stuff. :D

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Very funny Tim :D, I am still determined to get that down one day!
    I was thinking about this the other day when I was watching these guys grind trees up in a chipper. I thought that would be noisy and messy. But what about a hot wire grid that you drop the foam in the top of and let the heat and gravity take care of it?
    Mark

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

How thick of a piece can an office shredder take? Maybe not a cheap one but a good quality one. The results of this shredding would be ideal for the attic insulation.

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Industry usually shreds and then compact/heat extrudes the recycled foam for storage:

I've seem a video of a hobbiest who made a hotwire grid, but can't find it now. I think it was hubbard cnc, but I can't find their website only ebay links. But I did find this: http://www.demandproducts.com/recyk.php Can you believe they want $2,142.00 for it? :shock:

-Kwok

11. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Wish i had a blender to try

12. kneedrag

kneedrag Member

I usually just have to leave my daughter on the floor with the scrap and I come back to little bits all over the place. ;-) Just need to feed and provide a stable living environment and it works great.

Hey wait that is more than a big hotwire cutter. hummmm... ;-)

13. kram242

LOL I need to get a big dog that I train to rip foam to shreds!!
    Now if I could get him to bag it too! That would be something :)
    Mark

14. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

We have always thought of shredding this, packing it in trash bags, and using it for insulation in the garage. What happens here is you end up with so much of it, it's in the way and you are sick of moving it around and then you throw it away before ever finding the shredding solution.

I always thought instead of shredding it, we should start stapling it to the walls in the pieces that we have. I think it would be cool if the garage was insulated with foamie airplanes that we were getting rid of anyway :) We could have insulated the garage a few times over, I'm sure. If it's in a place that no one is going to see, it doesn't have to be pretty. Or, just plan on drywalling over it once you get to that point. IDK, makes sense to me.

15. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Well... you don't actually have to train them to bag it. Just keep some of these handy for "shredding" time.

I think Trish's idea of just using it how it is would be pretty cool. You could look back after a few years and remember that plane you always wanted to get back to. It might stick to the wall with a quick squirt of foam in a can and then you won't have the staples in there if you ever need to tear it down.

16. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I have cats that love dealing with the foam. Beats having them working over the furniture. :?

17. kram242

LOL that's great Tim!! I love this pic
    [​IMG]

I like Trish's Idea as well plus your idea of being able to look back at planes you would like to re visit..
    Mark Attached files [​IMG]

18. Mayo

Mayo New Member

Get yourself an electric leaf shredder.
    I got the Black & Decker Leaf Hog and it shreds foam as thick as 1 1/2 inch if it's fed in strips. It came with an attachment to blow the shreddings right into a garbage can, and with a bag that you can carry around with the shredder.
    I got it on clearance for $39 or something close to that.

I mostly cut 1/2 inch thick pink or blue foams, and the leaf shredder reduces the scrap into small chunks. Except for the inherent static, it could be used as packing materials or possibly attic insulation. If you ever had to walk through the attic though, you would emerge looking like you had foam legs.

The shredder worked OK as-is but after two seasons of shredding leaves and small twigs, the plastic blades got nicked up. I just resharpened them with a file and it still works fine.

When I have scrap that's relatively uniform, another thing I've done that helps make use of the waste is I cut a hatch pattern of 3/4 inch squares, then just snap it apart and I have uniform size chunks for packing foam. You could cut round or other shapes instead but curves typically take more time to cut than straight lines.

19. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    We use shredded foam to ship finished models in.
    Bag the model, then surround it in foam.

Works good. :D

Cheers.
    GHB

20. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Good idea thunder hawk!

21. Ampair

Ampair New Member

I just take foam, make it into a plane then jam it up a tree somewhere.
    The leftover bits are easy enough, cut it into squarish pieces, paint it to look like cake and offer it to canvassing politicians - they will devour anything.