1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

foam for 30 bucks

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by frankrcfc, Aug 28, 2009.

1. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just got another load of foam. did a double take 30 bucks no special out the door. Down from 38 around here. These aren't bad looking either.

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Great Frank, now if you could just haul that stuff a little farther South I'd be set. Nothing around here but OC Pink at a local mom & pops. No more Blue at the local Lowes. :x

3. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I'm thinking that is what is going on around me. There is a lot left but it is slim pickin's as far as getting bundles not beat up with bird stuff all over them :(

4. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

This is not a good sign. Not only does it seem strange to have a lower price (considering their sales would have gone down, not up) but they didn't price it really low. Some stores were willing to blow it out for $10 while I think the lowest our's went was $26. Evil-Tunes lives local here and he checked the Mom and Pop store we have and they sell it for $50! So, at $26, we had to stock up. We went to several Lowes and bought all we could. I think we had a coupon and got a discount on a couple of the beat up bundles, but still it wasn't $10 :(

Do you have any other Lowes nearby? We have 6 which are within reason. Some of those stores had a different price. When we got home, we called Lowes and they gave us a credit right over the phone and then mailed us the receipt. You can't beat that kind of service.

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

It would be great to find a supplier that would ship it AT a reasonable cost. I have 2 Lowes within travel distance but neither has any. The OC Pink is not that bad but I prefer the Dow.

6. Eflybob

Eflybob Member

Keep Looking... I found it for $26.00 at one Lowes, $9.47 at another about 10 miles apart. (Both are now out), but last weekend I found 1/2 pallet remaining at a 3rd Lowes about 15 miles from the other two. Not in the greatest shape, but a steal at $9.47.

7. travisc

travisc Member

I wonder how Dow is handling this. If all Lowe's stores stop selling the Bluecore foam Dow is going to loose a lot of money. Makes you wonder who is making the stuff Lowe's now sells that have their logo on it. Luckily I bought three bundles at 10.00 a few months ago.
    I just got my order of Depron from RCFoam, I really do not want to go back to the FFF after using it, But Depron is high compared to fff.

8. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

You guyz do know that Lowes will price match, right? If you tell one Lowes that the other right down the street is selling a product at a lower price, they will match it. Actually, we ran into that and called Lowes when we got home. They refunded our money over the phone and mailed us a receipt! That is some serious customer service from a large corportion. You don't see that much anymore.

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

THat is good to know. I never think of the price matching. We have 3 within 20 miles of me.

10. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I think this stuff is being cleared completely from Lowes inventory, at least here on the west coast. It took some digging around to find some, and I've managed to score a couple bundles so far for hoarding. One bundle was pristine but the other was really beat up on the floor, probably the outer 3 sheets damaged to scrap usage only. Of course they'll freely give discounts for the damaged stuff.

I still have a bundle of the classic double skin stuff and I'm holding onto that for special projects. I've become a bit of a depron snob because I love the rigidity, straightness and paintable qualities of it, but there is no sense in using it for CNC tests/proofs.

I just wish there were more quality controls on the depron from the manufacturer. I got two bundles for a CNC run (I don't have a phlat printer yet-this was at a shop I was borrowing) a while back and it came to 6.78 mil thickness. I loved that it was thicker and all but I had all these slots and laser ply parts that were designed around the proper 6mm thickness that had to be redone to fit and it was quite a hassle having to re-path everything so that it would cut through the material all the way. Probably wasted 10 sheets before we realized there was a problem. Neil at RCFoam was quite accommodating and was sure to give a nice discount on my next two orders. Great customer service!

11. Spadman82

Spadman82 New Member

the Blu-core has still not changed over to the green here in OKC and the price is still holding at $38 a bundle. i guess that is a good and a bad sign at the same time, eh?