1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

FPV Setup for EasyStar

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by janbjorn, Jan 5, 2011.

1. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Hi,

I recently saw in Randy's TriCopter thread that he was looking for some FPV explanation and as it happens I have just finalized and bench tested a FPV setup.

I have an EasyStar that was bought to have as an Aerial Photo platform. I have been gathering parts for a while and now I'm finished. However, I will not fly with these parts myself because I was given an offer that I could not refuse to sell the stuff. Although I will get about the same parts again, but this time they really are for myself.

Parts list (all bought from HobbyKing):
    • Turnigy 9x radio
    • FatShark video goggles
    • X-1000 HeadTracker gyroVideo TX/RX kit including cameraEagleTree V3 datalogger +GPS, BL RPM and Temp sensorEagleTree OSD
    This will set you back about $670+shipping. If you can manage without the logger, OSD and GPS you can shave off about $230 on that price.

I have made a pan/tilt camera mount from plexi glass and plywood. The parts are cut on my tabletop micRo CNC
    The HeadTracker is connected to the radio via the trainer jack. But to get a more flexible connection I modified the radio a bit and made a separate connector for the HeadTracker. During my first flights I would feel much more comfortable if I have a spotter with a radio connected to mine ready to take over if things don't go the way they should.

I put a video on youtube showing the function of the HeadTracker gyro and Pan/Tilt cameramount.

I will use the included camera for video downlink and later on I'll add a GoPro HD Hero for onboard video recording.

The GoPro and FPV stuff will also go into an MultiWiiCopter later on, but that's a whole other story. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AdrenalinRush

AdrenalinRush New Member

3. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Yes the antenna is really heavy, and we DON'T like unnecessary weight. Funny thing though, I actually read that exact guide yesterday!

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Jan This is an AWESOME set up! One of these days ;)
    Thanks for sharing this I have never seen one of these up close, the video and layout pictures are very cool.
    Mark and Trish