1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Fried my Z axis chip

Discussion in 'Easy CNC Driver Card' started by Subdoc, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Subdoc

Subdoc New Member

I fried the chip for my "Z" axis. It was not moving, only buzzing a little. When I tried to remove the chip to replace it I fractured the "socket" it plugs into, now that is broken. Can that part be replaced (a yes answer here would have to mean it can be replaced by a bozo) or should I just buy a entire new circuit board? Anyone know how to get those chips out without damaging something. The chip was in really tight and when I pried up on it the base cracked and broke. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Repair vs replacement, cost of new board, etc. Thanks in advance.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Chuck, I'd suggest you contact Easy-CNC and ask who they would send the board to, to replace a socket. If you can get the socket from them, it could be replaced by someone with caution and care, but that depends on the extent of "bozoness" that person has. :lol: I think I could do it, but it would probably require many "deleted expletives".
    Anyway, sending it back to them would have to be cheaper than just buying a new board.
    On the other hand, if you buy a new board, I'll offer you a few bucks for the "broken" one - I'd like to have a spare. ;)
    About pulling the old chips, I straightened two paperclips (the ones about 1 1/2" long) and then bent just the very end of the wire to make a 90° bend at the very end. The length of the end is only about .075" long, and they can be snaked behind the chip in two opposite corners and pulling on them pulls the chip. There is a chip remover suggested by (rjarois??) in one of the threads that he bought, to do exactly the same thing.
    Either way, prying between the socket and the chip will only crack the socket, every time.

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Must be they glue that one in.... My X and Y are so darn loose they vibrate out and I have to press them back in to make good contact on occasion.

But the Z axis, no way I can get that out without some kind of tool.

And yes, Dorsal is correct, you will break the socket if you try to pry it out. Been there done that too.

If anyone has a link to where we can purchase the removal tool, please chime in. I could use one myself.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Ahhh - it was 66tbird at viewtopic.php?f=128&t=349&p=3254&hilit=puller#p3254
    Oops, that listing is dead - maybe this one, or something like it. http://tinyurl.com/nyaf8s
    Or maybe this one: http://tinyurl.com/mzqups
    I think this is the tool actually made for these chips - http://tinyurl.com/lghkml - I just wish the photo showed the tool in the fully upen position.
    The tips must be VERY narrow to fit back there - - but then again, we all own a Dremel to grind the tips to the size we need, don't we? ;)

5. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks to you both for the info. Dennis, I will let you the fate of the existing board if I get a new one. I will keep watching this thread so I can let you know. I have an ongoing problem keeping logged=on. I just had to create a new user name and password and start all over to get on this time. My previous password and user name would not work, when I tried to re=enter it it said it was already in use. I like the tip about the paper clips and although I do not want to hear about anyone damaging anything, I have to admit I am pleased at others have attempted the chip removal with the same result. Thanks guys. I am still a real newbie on this printer thing and am having a fit getting mine up and running. One thing after another. Again, thanks. I appreciate the responses.

Chuck

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

If you still have problems logging in try deleting your cookies. This has been the fix in the past.

7. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Shaun, I think Mark or Trish suggested that one time before. I did not delete my cookies because I don't know how to do that. Point me in the right direction, and I will give it a try.
    Thanks,

Chuck

8. 3DMON

Here ya go. This is assuming your using Internet Explorer. Attached files [​IMG]

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Chuck, try this. Look at the very bottom of this page. Where it saids "Delete all board cookies". And click that link.

10. 3DMON

How did I miss that one.
    Thanks for posting that Kwok.

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

You're welcome. It's just you never know which method actually works, since not everyone is using the same browser. Also, firewalls can cause problems, too. I didn't know about IE, but from what you posted, looks like every cookie gets erased. So you will have to relogin on every website you use, that keeps you logged in automatically. Firefox, on the other hand, lets you delete the cookies only for specific websites you select. It's been months since I've had to relogin, so the forum is working pretty good now.

-Kwok

12. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks again for the info. I clicked on the bottom of the page so I guess I have "tossed my cookies". Everything seems to be working okay.

Chuck

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Chuck, Did you ever get your chip socket replaced? What did it cost?
    Inquiring minds want to know.