1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Funbat Modified

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by dz1sfb, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Here is my version of a FunBat. A very good flying model with low wingloading and excellent low speed characteristics.

Spec's;
    Wingspan - 32"
    Airfoil - KFm2
    Motor - Bue Wonder 1700 Kv 24g to 2208-12 1800 Kv 39g unit
    Prop - 7X6
    ESC - 10-15A unit
    Servo - Two 9g units
    AUW - 7.9 oz
    Battery - 850 mAh 2s

Attached are the .cnc and .skp files along with some pics Attached files FunBat with access slot.cnc (40.3 KB)Â [​IMG] FunBat.skp (2.1 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 Member

Thanks Ken!

Before I built my PP the Funbat was a popular fast scratch build in my circle of RCfliers. Can't wait to pop one off the PP. It is a very fun plane.

3. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Here are some build sequence photos.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very KooL build :good:

5. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Thanks Blind Flight!

I was able to put the Rx and ESC behind the firewall, and the battery sat right on the CG.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is a really nice strong looking design and I bet it fly's good with all that wing area. Anyone ever us this as an AP platform?
    Great job Ken!
    Mark and Trish

7. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

It has very nice manners, but never tried AP with it. Also tried a model called the F&F (Fast & Furious), not sure it really lives up to that name. So between these two models I developed my own combat wing that has both of these beat hands down. Not sure I am ready to post the files here yet but here is a glimpse. Here is the current build thread with plans http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542672 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. wlrman36

wlrman36 New Member

I built one of these last week... really like the way the the cuts went.. Saved the templates.. but I got my phlatprinter yesterday... Any chances of some cut files for the stingray?

9. kram242

Wow nice looking Ken, she looks very quick and maneuverable!
    Mark and Trish

10. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

That looks great Ken! I've had my eye on an Alula for a quite some time as my first DS plane. This reminds me of it in many ways:

[​IMG]
    http://www.dream-flight.com/gallery.html
    I don't know if you guys know much about slope or dynamic soaring. As a flatlander FL boy who moved out to NorCal a few years ago, I'd never seen anything like it before. Some of the guys have some big bucks invested in this type of flying, and it is a very exciting microcosm of the hobby.

With some mods, this Funbat might make a good sloper for an intro plane for me.

Very nice work, and beautiful finish!

11. kram242

Cool link Chris! I never knew this kind plane existed for soaring. I too am from the FL flatland's :)
    Thanks for the link
    Mark and Trish

12. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Yes, very similar to the Alula. Am also working on a sloper version of the StingRay. I believe the Funbat is a bit draggy for a good sloper though.

13. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Well, I'd be very interested in giving your Stingray a try after you pave the way a bit. :D Subscribed to your RCG thread so I can keep an eye on it.

TT

14. wlrman36

wlrman36 New Member

Has anyone else cut one of these out? I just cut one out with my MK3 and the main wing section was skewed off center a little bit... Quite possibly user error... But if it is... I cannot see it.

JJ

15. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 Member

my funbat came out perfect. I did hit the hinge sections with a corner of foam sanding block to get a nice hinge as there was a little material left to sand away...

still top of my favorite for a fast build and great flier

16. wlrman36

wlrman36 New Member

OK... I will recalibrate it and try it again tomorrow... this plane was one of my favorites to build when i was hand cutting foam.... that and Leadfeathers Yak

17. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Ken, in the pictures it looks like you are using FFF ,which is about 1/4", but in the plan the slots are 0.200" and in the parameter box you've put material thickness as 0.210". Is that on purpose?

18. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

All intentional!

I make my slots on the snug side. This means less glue is required making joints easier to sand and or clean up. Since I have rarely found FFF to actually be .25" in thickness, and usually closer to .21" down to .2" I model for the minimum thickness. It is a whole lot easier to take material away than to add it on. The .21" in the parameter box makes sure I get through the thicker areas of foam, but not cut through my control surface hinge lines.

There is some method to my madness, or is that the other way around? LOL :D

19. wlrman36

wlrman36 New Member

Here is my latest Bat with colored packing tape applied by My NON colorblind Honey...30 foot streamer for combat from Dollar Tree

edit: Sorry it was a little blurry Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]