1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Funder and lightning 35 by Frank rcfc

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by mrbubbs, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mrbubbs

mrbubbs New Member

Funder and lightning 35"
    Post by Frank rcfc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:09 am

Funder and Lightning by Lee Ray. This has a 35" wingspan. Check out rcgroups for great detailed ideas on building this fast and fun plane to fly. cnc,skp and jpeg incld in folder.

Attached files Funder and Lightning.zip (638.1 KB)Â [​IMG]

2. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I have built a couple (three actually) of these. The first and second was made using 6mm Depron. The third I used a mixture of Deprong (ailerons, elevator and fuse doublers). The tail feathers and wing were cut from the Green FFF from Lowe's. Also, the third is a twin motor. I used 3/8" square basswood for the stringers so I could mount the two small HXT outrunners directly on the front of the wing where I have extended the runners to add the necessary length. First flight on No3 was today. This plane is extremely fast and flew right out of hand (watch out for the port side torque roll on launch). Anyhow, today was cold in Indiana. Thanks to global warming it was up to 12 or 14 degrees. The normal or expected amount of flex in the wing did not work well for the green foam from Lowe's. The plane was landed okay but there are a number for tears in the foam probably because it was so cold.
    Other than that, flew fast and straight wit the two motors and a 1000 mAh lipo 3 cell. This is a great airplane design and fun to fly. If I knew how to post photos on this forum I would show some of the breaks caused by the cold weather. Thans for a great basic design. I am going to make more of these! Oh...happy New Year to all...

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

When you go to the bottom of the last post, just above where it says 'post a reply' , there is a place that says 'advanced postreply'. If you click on it, in the screen that will come up you'll see at the bottom, where the light-blue part is, there is a tab that says 'Upload attachment'.

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thank you TigerPilot...I'll give it a try a little later.

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

That was a fun plane to build and fly. Very fast. One thing I did do was enlarged the ailerons for more response. I got a little crazy with it one day and it turned right back into a kit. :shock:

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Well, no luck with posting the photos. Dial-up plus a huge bozo factor make a bad pair.
    Anyhow, I'll just have to choose a different material for Twin number two.

Chuck

7. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Here are pictures of Chuck's Funder and lightning. Came out great!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. travisc

travisc Member

Chuck,
    Looks good, are you running 2 speed controllers as I can only see one in the pics.
    If not how did you get it to work with one?
    I plan to cut this out soon. looks like a fun plane, I will only go with 1 motor.

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Looks like he is using one, I can see the wires from each motor going into the ESC.

10. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Frank n' Jeff...only running one speed control. I know this is not recommended, but it works okay. I split the wires (soldered) coming out of the ESP and set it up so each motor has its own plug connections. Now and then, when I power up, both motor do not want to start right up. No problem, I shut them down and go again and they take off fine. Never a problem while flying and power is certainly no issue. In truth, the single motor version flies just as well. As I have said, the twin has a "cool" factor. I also have built one with counter rotating motors and another with then turning the same direction. I see no difference in flying either way. The Funder n' Lightning is a really good design and a superb flyer. If space on the plane permits, I would probably recommend two ESC's. The single ESC I am using here is 25A. Perhaps a single 30+ amp would be better. Thanks Mark & Trish with help in posting these photos.

Chuck

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok guys Chuck asked me for a little help with the redesign of this plane so here it is.
    I hope it works out :)
    I think you will like how it all goes together :)
    This is set up of a single sheet of fanfold foam (24x48x1/4) but you could always move the parts into any size safe cutting area you like.
    The bit used is 1/8"
    Have fun :D
    Mark

* UPDATE * This one works, it was missing a hole that has been fixed

Attached files Funder and Lightning kram242.skp (1.1 MB)Â Funder and Lightning.cnc (22.1 KB)Â [​IMG]

12. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Hey Mark, thanks a million! Looks like a great job. I will get busy and cut one of these tomorrow to see how it looks in the flesh and I will let you know. I know you are busy and I appreciate you taking time to fiddle with this. Anyone reading this should know you (and Trish) are more than generous and willing to help out when asked. Knowing someone is there when needed is a real plus when purchasing your Phlatprinter(s).
    I would be out in the shop cutting this thing tonight except Global Warming has left a foot of snow and ice between here and there and it is already above 15 degrees.
    Thanks again, I appreciate your help more than I can explain.

Chuck

13. kram242

:) Its no problem Chuck we are glad to help. I hope that it works out. I do see one area that may be a bear, and that is to get the fuselage half's on you may have to do them one at a time instead of gluing them together. You will have to tilt them at an angle and slid them from the front on. Once they are in position you should be able to tilt them back up and glue them together. Let me know if this does not work and we will fix it.
    I hope Al Gore has that Nobel peace prize well hidden, because I think they will be coming to collect :) They are saying that this is a 30 year cycle and this is how it runs 30 years of mild winters then 30 years of rough ones. Same goes for hurricanes and such.
    Can't wait to see how this turns out Chuck, looking forward to your update.
    Mark and Trish

14. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Great Work Chuck...And thanks Mark for the added assistance.

I will print this on sunday and let y'all know how it goes. :)

-Peter

15. kram242

* UPDATE * This one works, it was missing a hole that has been fixed
    Check out the 4th post above this one, I have cut one out and it works great :)
    Mark

16. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Mark, are there corrections to your original update on this airplane? I am in a bit of a fog but don't know what "hole" was missing. Do I need to download the file again because you have made changes?

Chuck
    ...covered in snow in the middle of global warming...

17. kram242

Hello Chuck,
    The hole was left out of the middle of the wing in the last upload. I have fixed that now and reuploaded the new model. I cut out this new one and it fits together nicely.
    Yes you will want to get rid of the old one and replace it with this one, both the code and the model.
    Here are a few pics showing how the two body's slides onto the wing by tilting them. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks! Now I see why there was a "step" or "notch" in your first revision which prompted my email to you about the shape of the slot in the fuselage. Now I get it! Guess I had better replace the old file(s) with this one, cut one out and see how it does. I want to see if I can get a nice fold with 6mm Depron without breaking it. I have found if I put a strip of tape of some kind on the fold line and then fold it slowly it works find and won't (usually) crack.

Chuck

19. kram242

I do the same thing with the tape idea, especially with depron folds.
    If you are cutting with the skin side up on the fan fold you should be able to bend it without the tape, like I have in the pictures above, but I would still do the tape it adds so much strength

20. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Okay, success! I cut one out of white Depron. As I have mentioned, white Depron is too short (or narrow, depending on how you look at it) to fit the single sheet plane. I did get most of it and in particular the wing which I wanted to test for the bend on the LE. I taped it with Blenderm (very flexible, somewhat elastic) and it folded nicely. I have it stuck down with epoxy and some clamps and it is going to look good. I am going to let it set up until tomorrow and we shall see!
    Thank you Mark.

Chuck

21. kram242

Your more then welcome Chuck :)
    You know that you can set up a new safe cutting area a little smaller then your depron to allow for the space of the drive roller and drag the parts into that.
    If you want I will do it no problem just let me know what size depron you are working with (sorry if you already told me, I have some-timers, sometime I remember :) ) and I will post it as well.
    Mark

22. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Mark...the white Depron I use is from RC Foam and is the largest size they offer. It is the size in the case lots they offer and is 6mm by 27" by 39". I usually trim some of the 27" down to 24". In some cases I then temporarily tape the 3" strip to the end of the depron in order to extend it so it does not roll off the drive roller. In the case of the Funder n' Lightning, this did not work, the layout exceeded the end of the foam by about 2.5". So, I am guessing the table size should be 24" x 39" so everything will fit on it. Are you saying if I change the table size everything will automatically squeeze down to fit that size? If you can do this one last set up for me, that will be great. I only have black and white Depron on hand at the moment. All my pink and blue FFF will not work because of hills and valleys in the foam. I have not added sand to my pressure roller yet but have to do that ASAP. We talked about this and you thought that would solve my problem. In the meantime, if you adjust the table size to fit the white Depron available from RC Foam for the Funder n' Lightning it will be great and others can benefit from this also. THANKS A MILLION!

Chuck

23. kram242

Chuck,
    I love messing around with Sketchup so its really no problem :D
    Here you go, the Depron version set up for 6mm @ 24x 39 You still may have to add the pusher strip to the back to get the complete wing or you may get away with it if you start you sheet back a little off the starting line. Its going to be close but I think it will work.
    Let me know how it goes :)

Attached files Funder and Lightning kram242 DEPRON VERSION.skp (1.3 MB)Â Funder and Lightning_Depron Version.cnc (22.7 KB)Â [​IMG]

24. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Mark, will give it a try tomorrow. I feel confident it will work and I appreciate it greatly. I fooled around with the SketchUp thing earlier today but I am clueless and could not figure out how to change the table size and do the rest. This will come later, I will figure it out one way or another. I cut out the other revision you did with the fold over using the Depron and it worked out great! I am going to enjoy making these airplanes and thanks to you it only will take one sheet of 39" white Depron. As you know, the black is longer and not a problem at all however, black (dark grey) is hard to paint or apply decals to. Also, the white in 39" is less expensive. While I am thinking about it, my source other than Avery for the clear full-sheet ink-jet is ONLINE LABELS.COM. It is 1/2 the price of the Avery Labels. Thanks again Mark. I will check your revision out tomorrow and let you know how it does.

Chuck

25. kram242

Chuck thank you for the sticker paper link that will be a big help
    I hope this one works out for the size for you of not just let me know and I will try to squeeze them in a little more :)
    Mark