1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Funky Cut Pattern?

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by armstri, Jan 10, 2012.

1. armstri

armstri New Member

Hi all,

I have been messing around in Sketchup 8 trying to get some ribs drawn, and converted to gcode through the phlatscript. Unfortunately when I go and designate an inside cut, the script creates an odd cut pattern. A picture is attached below, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ian

Attached files [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Move that circle off the leading edge so it doesn't touch and it should work.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep what Shaun said. I ran into this when I was designing my Pronto a few years ago. The LE is a dowel. I ended up making it out of balsa as I never could get the circle to cut on the LE the way I wanted.

4. armstri

armstri New Member

Thanks!

So I did that, and now I am confused as to the difference between an inside and outside cut. Would you mind clarifying this?

Cheers,
    Ian

5. armstri

armstri New Member

Rcav8r,

Thats exactly what I wanted to do, so I assume you found no way around it?

Cheers,
    Ian

6. rcav8r

Inside vs outside.... I think this is what you mean....Say you have a former with a lightening hole in the middle. You will need an outside cut to cut the out-line of the former... Then an inside cut to cut out the lightening hole. The reason for this is the width of the bit. Let's assume a 1/4" bit. To get the proper sized part, the script will move the cut line 1/8" outside (1/2 the diameter of the bit) of the part. It will also move the cutter in the proper direction to get the best surface on the part you want. Now to cut the proper sized lightening hole, the script will move the cut line it generates 1/8" inside. It will also reverse the direction of the cut so the best cut is on the piece you want.

In your rib, the 3 complete circles will be the inside cut, and the rib itself will be the outside cut.

As far as getting my partial circle... I abandoned that and went with a regular square balsa stick as the LE. In order to get it to work, you will need to move the circle half your bit diameter + say 0.01" away from the rib surface.

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

If you open up the front circle it will cut like you want just square of the points just a tiny bit.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG]

8. rcav8r

Hay E-T.. I tried that with mine, but it didn't work. I didn't even think about squaring the tip. That would (obviously ;) ) done it. Now ya tell me :D

9. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

You dont have to square much just 1/64 or even less.

Cheers
    E-T

10. armstri

armstri New Member

rcav8r,

Thanks, that was very helpful and makes sense. Im not sure how I got myself mixed up...

E-T,

I will have to try your suggestion! Thanks!

Cheers,
    Ian

11. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Or you could do it this way. (See attached before and after picture) :sarcastic_hand:

Draw the airfoil and group it. Draw the circle and make the inside cut line. Group the circle and the inside cut line. Explode the airfoil and make the outside cut line. :smart: :D :D :D Attached files [​IMG]