1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Gcode progress bar enhancement ...

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by Serge Ecoiffier, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Serge Ecoiffier

Serge Ecoiffier New Member

The 'e's changing to 'E' is great, it shows something is going on.

What if you replaced or added something along the line of a percentage towards completion ? It could either be a count of elements processed showing total (target) element count or the percentage it would represent. It still would not be an estimated time to completion for various reasons, but it would give a better idea of progress vs. the transforming 'e'/'E'. It doesn't have to be graphic (a growing bar).

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Cannot be done because we do not know how many items will generate Gcode.
    we know how many entities there are in the drawing, but we do not know how many will generate Gcode, either because some are not gcode lines, or because some may be outside the safe area. We have to look at all of them before we can know, which takes time, time that is better spent actually generating the code (-:

When I coded the activity bar, I went through this whole process and came to the conclusion that 'I am active' is better than nothing, but we never can know where we are in the process unless we do the whole process twice.

One also has to be careful that one does not spend so much program time updating the progres bar that the entire process slows down!

3. Serge Ecoiffier

Serge Ecoiffier New Member

Make sense...

Since 'we know how many entities there are in the drawing', how about counting against those then ?

The one which don't generate gcode will make the counter go real fast as they are 'skipped' while does generating gcode would slow the count down ? It might better hint at progress status without adding much overhead (?) if only the actual counter is updated (not entire line of text). No need to shift over a position for each 'e' or redraw the entire line of 'e/E'. This would not be an advantage if the process currently skips all the unneeded entities ...

Oh well, you probably looked at all possibilities already. So I guess that's it for this thought.

Thanks for the quick reply and explanation.