1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Generate 4 axis g code [Question]

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by freak174, Oct 29, 2013.

1. freak174

freak174 New Member

Hello dear folk,

Is it possible to generate 4 axis g-code for a cnc hot-wire cutter using the phlatscript plugin?
    If not, do you have any tips of how I can integrate sketchup with other plugins generating a 4 axis path?

Cheers!

2. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

tvcasualty.com has software available for hotwire cutting with sketchup. tvcasualty is a phlatboy from the early days, and designed/invented his own very unique cnc machine, which he has been selling for a couple years now.

3. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

Yes!
    It's possible to work with editing gcode, with 2 drawings (if the two sides of the cut are different), one for each side of the cut, then hand-editing the gcode (Notepad)

With a design you create a gcode for 2 axes (X, Y) to one side of the hot wire and the other drawing you create another gcode (X, Y) to the other side of the hot wire.

In notepad, you replace X and Y by the desired axis, and edit each line of the first gcode and sum the corresponding row of the second gcode for each movement

ex
    X10 Y20 (first)
    X7 Y15 (second) -> replace X for "A", Y for "B" (in notepad) = A7 B15

(first) + (second) -> X10 Y20 A7 B15 (control line)

For equal sides simply generate only one gcode and make the axes of the opposite side with slaves in the control program (MACH3)

Who knows if someone to automate this process?
    (sorry the quality of the text - google translator)

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

not easily, yet. when I get my wire cutter built, I will look at this again and 'solve' it. till then, things like 'foamworks' and other software specific to hot wire machines is a much better solution and worth the few dollars you pay for them.

5. freak174

freak174 New Member

I actually forgot that I asked for this here hehe. However, I bought devfus foam for approx. 80 box. Made my first test cut yesterad and the quality of it turned out to be really good even though I was holding the foam part by hand. The bad thing is that u are restricted to fuselages.

I hope there will be a plugin like phlatscript plugin but for 4 axis, cause of the "easyness" of drawing.

A picture of the segment:
    [​IMG]