1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Giant scale (80 inch) Lazy Bee

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by iflyos, Dec 19, 2010.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks to Buk (7up), we have a great set of files for the infamous Lazy Bee.

For those of you who know me, or have heard me on the Crash Cast, you know my tastes in models run from micro to giant scale, electric to gas. For my upcoming trip to SEFF 2011, I want something that will stand out on the flightline. Sure, there are 170mph+ Rite Wings (cool, BTW!) incredible scale warbirds and civilian aircraft, HUGE wings like LMopar69's 14 footer, and allot of sport flyers..but I haven't seen any mention of a IMAA legal Lazy Bee :mrgreen: It seems pretty obvious to me that the BIG Bee would be a great choice..I have always loved the way they fly, and have owned Bee's in every size, from the Ladybug up to the 60" Big Bee Andy use to kit.
    So, that brings me to this post. I knew Buk had drawn up a good looking Bee http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1846 so I grabbed the files and got to work.

You can see some of the discussion about the resizing process in the above link. Attached are pictures of the Fuse side panels I just cut today..with a yardstick for reference :shock: This is gonna be one big bird :D

My wonderful wife is giving my cash for CHRISTmas, so the power system will get ordered on the 26th, LOL. I will update this thread as I progress.

Tim
    AG4RZ Attached files [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is gonna bee awesome!

3. lovebugjunkie

lovebugjunkie New Member

I have the 60" Big Bee balsa kit I was going to start, but then thought I better do one out of foam first as I remember my last adventure into RC. This is what let me the the Phlatprinter, now all I have to do is finish the printer.

Looking forward to your progress.

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Can't wait to see it complete and someone standing beside it to reference the size of it. :D

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Man you could take the PhlatCat up in that! wait a minute.... that gives me an idea! Here kitty kitty :lol: LOL JK
    This is going to be great Tim looking forward to it!
    Thanks for posting we will be glued here watching
    Mark and Trish

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

Hmmm...Lemme see...a PhlatCat compartment...we can work that out!!

A little more progress today. The horizontal spans 32 inches!!

The fuse isn't completely done, the right side has not been glued on yet. I am still thinking about whether or not I need more bracing. The left side, top, and bottom are glued together, along with some internal supports.

It sure is getting big! Now...if this works out, I wonder if it would scale up a little bigger??

Tim
    AG4RZ Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. 7up

32" H-stab? Blaahahaha! :lol: That's a plane in itself. I'd call this one the Rumble Bee.

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

Rumble Bee.....I like it..time to call up my vinyl guy...

9. 3DMON

I'm really diggin this Tim!

10. iflyos

iflyos Member

Thanks Shaun!

OK..so a little more progress. I got the center and end sections of the wing cut out. I also got the ribs cut, as well as a couple other parts. I added the ribs to the center span of the wing. Haven't attached the wingtips yet, nor have I covered the bottom.

Here is the interesting part, though.. the weight at this stage in the project is 14.42 ounces, for all parts thus far. I know it is gonna go up quite a bit more, but I am very happy with the numbers at this point. I still have to glue the left fuse side on, and decide how to attach the wingtips so that I can get the dihedral, and have a strong attachment there, but I hope I can get the fuse and wing all together weighing in at or under 25 ounces.

A fuse weight of 1.5 pounds would mean I am WIDE open on power system selection and other options.

There are 1,519.2 square inches of wing area, guys :shock: (Thats 10.55 square feet!!)

At my projected weight of 25 ounces before radio, power system, and landing gear, that gives me a wingloading of 2.37 ounces/square foot. That is INSANE. If we double the bare weight to 50 ounces (3lbs) for a super light flyable model, that keeps the wingloading under 5 ounces per square foot, which makes for a very light, no wind giant!

If I get it to 6.25 pounds, the wingloading is only 9.48 ounces/square foot...still a glider, but with the right power system, allot of fun!!!!

Those weights and wingloadings are keeping with the balsa built big Lazy Bee, and those were spec'ed (by Andy himself) for a .25 to .60 glow. so a .40-.60 electric equivalent, with more torque and a bigger prop (as we all know) is gonna be one heck of a match for some real fun!!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

11. 3DMON

Seeing them numbers, I think the .40 size setup would do it justice.

12. iflyos

iflyos Member

Shaun, that's what I am thinking too. So long as I spin a big prop, I will be happy. Low pitch, for plenty of air arcoss the surfaces!

Tim
    AG4RZ

13. kram242

What about two motors under the wings? That would help get the air across and you would not need such a large motor.
    Its truly a monster of a plane Tim and she looks great! When you cut the power to come in for a landing you are going to have to wait a while for it to float down :D
    Mark and Trish

14. iflyos

iflyos Member

Mark, I thought about going for a twin setup...but I really want to spin a big prop on this thing! Big prop, low RPM is more efficient and quiet.

While brainstorming last night with Buk in chat, a couple of ideas came up that would require minimum motor/prop noise...If they work out, I will share. If they don't, I probably will share anyway!

Tim
    AG4RZ

15. kram242

:D sounds good Tim Looking forward to seeing what you guys came up with.
    Mark and Trish

16. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Or put the props into beta! :lol:

17. iflyos

iflyos Member

Da wing..Not completely done, but I figured you guys needed a pic. The shop is a bit of a mess..winter repairs. Still need to finish the left leading edge attachment (join it to the wing) but you get the idea.

Its late..I am going to bed.. Attached files [​IMG]

18. 7up

Whoa! If it don't fly, you can always go surfin' ...

19. iflyos

iflyos Member

LOLOL...yep..it's HUGE, man...and all from your plan!!

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

O.M.G! That is a monster! It is going to be sooo cooool to see the videos of it in flight! Looking good Tim. :)

21. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Lookin' really good.
    I'm planning on doing a FFF Kadet Sr. Couple of questions for ya?
    How did you brace the horizontal, and how do you plan on bracing the fin/rudder? I know from a few past planes there is more stress on a fin when using the rudder than one would think.
    Also will be interesting to see what motor/prop your gonna use. I really want to swing a big prop slowly. When I had my old glow Kadet Sr, I used a K&B .65 swinging a 14x6 prop. It only spun around 9K, but it had stump pulling low end, which you want in a plane like this. Back in the olden days of inrunners and gearboxes it was easy to spin a really large prop, but I haven't really found that with the out runners. Maybe a high KV outrunner with a gearbox?

22. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You are not kidding. Just ask Airbus and about the 320 that went down four, or so, years ago.

23. iflyos

iflyos Member

Re bracing the horizontal...I have used CF for spars, and it seems pretty stiff. Since the rudder is full flying, the only bracing it will get is some embedded CF also.

I am thinking about a 500 or so kv outrunner spinning a 14 inch prop. Since I got more money than I expected for CHRISTmas the power system might get really interesting!

Tim
    AG4RZ

24. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

It looks great from a loading point of view. Well, it just looks cool anyway because of its size. At the low wing loading end of the storm you could probably make a prop from CF and foam like the indoor FF guys do. Big cupped teardrop paddles on a CF rod telescoping and set-screwed into another for full pitch/dia. adjust-ability. Run that off any ol RC car GB in the 8-10:1 ratio and a nice 150+W- 1500kv BL on 3S could make enough wind :D That would be neat.

One thing I don't like about these Bee's made of fff is that they distort at speed(and not much of it), making for an interesting flight path :lol: I had to sheet the wing bottom on each one I've build with a loading over 'really really light'. Did you decide on bottom sheeting?

Project looks great..

25. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Speaking in structural engineering terms, the compression of the upper wing surface is FAR more detrimental than any stretching of the lower surface. Try pushing on a strand of straw versus pulling on it. The top surface is getting compressed while the bottom surface is getting compressed. (Even steel and concrete bridge beams actually fail in compression of the top surface).
    Counter-intuitive as it is, sheeting the top of the wing is ~20 times more effective than sheeting the lower wing, because if the top can't fold, the bottom can't move at all. And you can reduce the weight that way also. Whenever I add CF strips along a wing beam, I install them just under the upper sheet, lengthwise. :ugeek:

By the way, that looks like a tremendous airplane! I'm really looking forward to see the flight videos! :cool: