1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

GP Sukhoi 25% maden

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by AnyAirRc, May 31, 2009.

1. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Well I have officially entered the 25% club. I have been working on this beast for some time now and had my maiden flight on Saturday 5-30-09. It was such a nice flying plane that I pushed it harder on my first flight than I normally do. I am going to get some better footage soon but just wanted to share my excitement and see how many other foam fliers fly the big stuff also.

Maiden flight

2. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

Here are some pics from the day

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Cool! I was on my way there a while back, but never made it. What's the weight on your plane? The closest I got was 11lb. It was a EZ arf super chipmunk, 108 size. I got it used from a swap meet. The orginal owner had hacked up a old weed wacker engine and converted it. The engine was practically falling off, so I made a new mount and moved the engine back like 4 inches. It was my 1st and only plane that flew on gasoline. Amazing how clean gas is. Wow, did it fly like nothing I have ever flown before. And it was probably, like 3lb over weight. One day, I would really like to get there.

-Kwok

4. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

I am not sure on the weight, but I guess it is 14 - 18 lbs, it is a heavy beast. The motor I used was from hobby city the FLT 45 and for $150 it is a great deal! I love foam planes but there is something about how smooth and strait a heavy pane flies and the sound. The size is also something that would be hard to duplicate in foam.

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Wow, that is a great deal for a engine! Looks like it will be even easier for me to get back into it, when the time comes. There's got to be some weird scaling factor, because I thought mine had way too much wing loading and under powered. But it tracked and just penetrated through the air really well. Did slow rolls without fall out of the sky. And I often overshoot the runway, expecting it to drop.

-Kwok

6. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Grats AnyAirRc
    Nice Flight and Plane

Today I flew my 62 eagle that I picked up from a flea market. First time I flew a 4-stroke "52cc". The last time I flew a gas plane was.....wow 25 plus years ago. There is some thing nice about a bigger plane when the wind is up a bit. The 4-stroker was a tad quiet for my taste. The only thing I can't stand is the clean up afterwards and the taste of Nitro. I don't know why but I can allway taste it after I fly. I must be putting my fingers In mouth w/out knowing it. :lol: One day I'll get to the 25% club. We have a guy that flys 25% Electric in our club but, thats alot of $$$$$ in batteres. :cool:

Cheers
    E-T

7. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, It looks like a good flying setup and a good looking ship. It didn't look like you leaned on it to hard. Looks like it did what it was designed to do by a pilot that felt comfortable doing it. I really like the forgiving landing gear btw.

The 20-25% seems to be a nice area for fun/sport scale that have that bigger plane feel. Especially scale aerobatic ships. Plus you can fit them into most cars ;)

There is a lot of fun and learning in flying planes with more kinetic energy than a foamy. It's a field all pilots should try with at least a plane or two, goes for FP helis also :cool:

8. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

ET: Yea I hate the nitro clean up to, I am glad that the gasoline motors have very little clean up but I still get gas on my hands lol. The GP Sukhoi can go nitro, gas, or electric, but nitro cost big $$ per gallon, and electric cost mega $$$ in batteries, gas is only $8 for two gallons and the oil mix.

66: Yea I didn't go over half throttle the whole flight. The motor was idling high that is why the LG got a good testing lol. I got the idle down on the second and third flights and the landings where a lot better lol. The kinetic energy is very cool to mess with. I did a few tail slides on the third flight and it slid about 25 feet before it slowly flipped it was so cool to watch and I'll def get that on video next time.

9. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I use to have a 50cc Edge then a 50cc Yak. It was getting a pain lugging them to the field, so I downsized a little to the Extremeflight 72" Yak. I really like the plane more than the 50cc ones I had, but a bud of mine let me fly his 50cc Extremeflight Yak and it started to make me want to go back to the 50cc, because it flew sooo much better. The plane makes a world of diffence.
    Nice looking scheme on that Sukhoi BTW.

10. iflyos

iflyos Member

AnyAir, bigger does fly better, doesn't it? Let's see...1/4 scale Patty Extra with a Fuji 43...fun sport/pattern plane. 1/3 scale Ohio R/C Extra 300L w/a Zenoah GT-74..fun patern bird. Soon, there will be a 1/3 scale H9 Sukhoi w/a DA100...all out 3d machine, I am sure...that motor and airframe tend to be referred to as WAY overpowered :D

But hey..I gotta admit, I have as much fun with a Vapor as anything else...heck, if it flies, I like it...from my airhogs stuff on up!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

11. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

That's the spirit! I know of a few guys who are missing so much fun because they thumb their noses at electric powered models of any kind.

12. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

iflyos: Thats what my screen name is all about Any Air Rc any thing that flies is cool with me! I am sure you'll love the H9 Sukhoi, I like how much work is already done for you.

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

What servos are you using for that plane?

14. AnyAirRc

AnyAirRc Moderator

I am using Hitec HS-645 MG ultra torque servos two for rudder two for elevator and two for ailerons. If you built anything larger I would upgrade the servos. That is part why I picked this size the servos cost a bunch more for 33% than they do for 25%.

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I got a good idea, now, how much your plane cost. Just thinking about the future, thanks. :D