1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

HobbyCNC .com TIP

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by blindflight, Dec 7, 2008.

1. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Motor wire hook up tip.
    I bought three replacement stepper motors from HobbyCNC.com to replace the stock motors in the PhlatPrinter kit.I found out by a fellow RCGroups member that these motors are hooked up the same way as the stock motor's. However, the "COM" wires need to be connected to each other in order to work. The stock stepper motors you do not use the "COM" wires.
    Thanks

2. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Great tip blindflight. Thanks for sharing. What's the torque rating? Do you have a link for them? How much did they run you shipped?

3. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

theothers,
    Here is the link: http://www.hobbycnc.com/
    Specs:
    #23-130-DS8 185oz-in bipolar rating, 130oz-in unipolar rating. 3.6v, 2.1A, 200 S/R, 2.1mH, Size #23, Dual Shaft, 8 wire Fastest RPM, moderate power, good for lighter duty applications. $38 each
    ORDER DETAILS:
    > Item: #23-130-DS8
    > Quantity: 3
    > Description: 185oz-in bipolar rating, 130oz-in unipolar rating stepper
    > motor.
    > Price (each): $38.00
    > Item Total: $114.00
    > _________________________________________
    >
    > Subtotal: $114.00
    > Shipping (Shipping to USA): +$13.00
    > Grand Total: $127.00

4. WW8S

WW8S Member

Blindflight,
    Would you recommend all three be replaced, or is the X axis (drum) stepper acceptable as is? (trying to keep my costs as low as possible, but I don't want to run at 15ipm when I should be able to run at 40ipm)
    Dave

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey you guys these are looking promising and we are going to buy a few to test them out for ourselves. They are selling them at a pretty good price.
    I think we will try to talk to them and work out a deal for Phlatprinter customers.
    Easy-CNC (the board makers) told us that they will sell Phlat Club members the board, the parallel cable, and the power supply only. We are still working out the details. We'll put together a package and post it here on the Phlatforum and on phlatboyz.com.

http://www.web-tronics.com/stmo5.html

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

While these motors are a direct replacement, for my money, I'll add four dollars and buy these http://www.web-tronics.com/stmone235.html. They are still within the driver-board specs and have almost double the holding torque. May need some mods to the printer but these were covered already in the RCGroups thread and I think here too.

Yoram

7. kram242

Yes those are sweet! but really over powered. and it will cause you to have to mod.
    I think (won't really know untill we try them out) the others will be more than enough.
    We will see.

8. WW8S

WW8S Member

Yes, I would be interested in that deal. Could you get them to include the relay as an option to the package?
    Dave

9. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

I went with 125oz steppers as I wanted a little more power but the down side to steppers are the more holding power you go the slower your rapids or feedrates are.

Eric

10. kram242

True it is a trade off. Missed steps? or Slow speeds? Its all in the tweaking of the machine itself I think the smoother you can make it run the better.
    Mark

11. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

Agreed

Eric

12. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

13. WW8S

WW8S Member

Answering my own "stupid" question here, (for future Phlatboyz...)

It doesn't matter which is positive and which is negative. The driver board swaps polarity as it commutates the motor's movement. Just hook the wires up any way you like as long as:
    Coil 1 is Red, Black
    Coil 2 is Green, White
    If the motor runs backwards, swap either the red & black or the green & white wires, (not both).

Also, these motors are almost too powerful. I had to back the VREF down to keep from stressing the rubber couplings and binding against the hard stop. You might look for something cheaper, you won't need anything bigger, that's for sure.

7Up, yes they are new.
    Dave

14. rayclark

rayclark Member

15. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Probotix.com has 260 oz steppers for 39.95.
    4 start needs the torque that's for sure. The stepper you showed with 208 oz might be ok, but more is better.

16. rayclark

rayclark Member

Thanks Shaun. That one looks good.

Ray

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

If your drive is missing steps with 160 oz motors, you have a binding problem because your screw drive is not parallel enough with your guide rails, or the guide rails are not parallel enough. You need to fix that.
    Just adding motors with more torque is like stepping harder on the throttle in your car, or installing a bigger motor, because you forgot to release the brake handle.

18. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I read the specs on the motors that I've posted. I think that the 222 oz/in is in unipolar mode. If you hook them up in bipolar the torque will go up. http://www.cw-motor.com/en/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=5

19. rayclark

rayclark Member

Got the 260oz stepper and Dorsal was correct... I did have some slight binding issues. Got that taken care of. So fixing that along with the 260oz steppers my rapids are about 375. :D

If i go too much over that I start to get some vibrations occuring. I can live with those speeds though.

Nice thing with this stepper is I can turn down the current about half on the controller board. With the other stepper I had to run the current at max on the Y axis.

Ray

20. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing your results Ray.