1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

How to connect pushrods

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by TigerPilot, Sep 10, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I'm new to the foam aspect of the hobby. I know how to do the pushrods in the big planes but not in the tiny ones.

I read Crash mentioning to use carbon rods but how do you connect them to the control horns? You can't make a z-bend in them.

What do you do so that they will not bend when they push the controlled surface? I didn't see anyone using support for the pushrods. Crash mentioned 1mm rods. I bought 1.2mm.

I tried to glue the carbon spars with hotglue into the slots but it doesn't hold. The surface of the rods is so smooth it didn't stick. I guess if I use a lot of glue it will hold but that will defeat the objective to keep the weight down. What is the most common way of doing it? Using epoxy?

Some pics will be great.

2. Orion13

Orion13 Member

I cut control horns out of light plywood and just cut a slot in the foam and glue them in. You can't bend carbon rods in a z to make the ends. What I do is take shrink wrap and wire to make the ends. Use wire to make the connection to the control horn in a z bend and then use shrink wrap to connect the wire to the carbon rod. In the past I have even used thread to wrap/tie the metal push rod to the carbon rod and then glued it.

The glue you use on foam depends on the type of foam you are using. I really like welder's glue. I get it from Lowe's and it is in a 2 pack with a red label. It is great on EPP foam. It will melt other types of foam. This glue also makes great hinges on EPP.

Gregg

3. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I've been making my control horns out of G10 lately only because I had some scrap. Like Orion13 said, the pushrods are made using carbon rods with music wire at the ends. Cut the carbon within an inch or so, then cut two wire pieces. Make a Z bend on one end of each of the wires. The music wire is secured onto the carbon with heat shrink and a dab of CA. Secure one end first, then line everything up on the other end for a level surface. Shrink that end, add your CA, and you are done.

To keep longer pushrods from bending, you can make some guides out of foam or ply. Popsicle sticks work good too.

Here is a picture of one of my pushrods and some guides. The pushrod is very small (Micro plane), so I hope you can see it ok.

I Hope this helps. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. Now I have to wait for the stuff from HobbyKing to arrive. The CA glue is in the package. :mad:

5. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to bring up the old U-bend / z-bend debate ;-) But give U-bends a try. SO EASY to make in small wire. No slop and the angle of the rod to the server is not all that critical. They are all I use, and have yet have one to develop any slop and some of my planes have A LOT of miles under their wings with aggressive flying .

Some pics -- viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1828&p=18018&hilit=u+bend#p18018