1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

How to use the 3D function

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by TigerPilot, Oct 17, 2013.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I've never used the 3D option. I now want to start using it and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. I remember long time ago it was said that we have to put it in a box or something. I searched this section of the forum and couldn't find nothing. Some/any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Got it to work. I tried the 'box' and it worked. Only problem is it works only without the multipass. If you add the multipass option there is no cutting code generated. I want to carve in 3/4" wood and the multipass is a must. Anyone has an idea how to go about? I may have to use another program. Any suggestions?

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I just tried a simple shape extruded and the multipass worked and generated a gcode.

3. TigerPilot

In the 3D option?

EDIT: Just tried a simple box extrusion and it DID generate a multipass g-code. I'll have to check what's wrong with my part.

EDIT #2: I'll have to run the code in foam first to see if makes it in multipasses since it doesn't say in the code pass 1, pass 2 and so on.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what to say but if you can't get it send me the file and I'll see if I can.

5. TigerPilot

Thanks, Shaun. It looks like it made a multi pass but when I look at the code I don't see the separation between each pass. I'll have a look at it again today and I will also run it through my printer using foam and we'll take it from there.

6. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

1 - put an apron at Z zero . left side should be a multiple of the stepover, others can be bitdiameter or larger.
    2 - set material thickness to the actual max material thickness (or a little more if you want the entire surface machined), safe Z will be added to this thickness.
    3 - this output is generated by a completely different code module so it doesn't have anything approximating the code that makes the (pass x) comments in the usual Gcode output. Could be done, but maybe better is a good previewer. I'm using the 'CNC-USB Controller' software for this, even though I have no hardware this program does a very nice 3D plot of the code, and you can step through it line by line if you need to as well, has been very useful in debugging new features.

oh, I spotted a bug, check PM for beta fix....